Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Ricoh MPC 5504 exit jams

Hi out there,
    just a simple prob (or it should be) - we have a 5504 that logs exit jams (location 60) that is becoming a bit of a pain in the butt. The user is fairly unhelpful when asked for a basic description of when it jams "it jams everywhere" , and I can never get it to jam so I suspect it may be something they are doing.

There was an issue with the bridge unit causing jams after the scanner log was printed into the internal tray area, so I swapped this as a matter of course, but they still say its jamming. Exit rollers are the correct ones (not the bulbous ones that crease the paper) and the user (Surprisingly these days) uses good quality 90gsm paper.

I will pull out the exit sensor and see if its dirty ( I know I should have done it earlier but its a bit of a b**l ache to get to) but usually they are clean anyway, and I dont think its a firmware issue as its only started happening over the last week or so.

Just bouncing this one off you guys as a thousand heads are better than one!!

Thanks

Steve

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts
    Ricoh MPC 5504 exit jams

Re: Ricoh MPC 5504 exit jams

Quote Originally Posted by Vintage tech View Post
    Hi out there,
    just a simple prob (or it should be) - we have a 5504 that logs exit jams (location 60) that is becoming a bit of a pain in the butt. The user is fairly unhelpful when asked for a basic description of when it jams "it jams everywhere" , and I can never get it to jam so I suspect it may be something they are doing.

There was an issue with the bridge unit causing jams after the scanner log was printed into the internal tray area, so I swapped this as a matter of course, but they still say its jamming. Exit rollers are the correct ones (not the bulbous ones that crease the paper) and the user (Surprisingly these days) uses good quality 90gsm paper.

I will pull out the exit sensor and see if its dirty ( I know I should have done it earlier but its a bit of a b**l ache to get to) but usually they are clean anyway, and I dont think its a firmware issue as its only started happening over the last week or so.

Thanks

Steve
    If it is a finisher jam causing the issue all the previous prints will stop so the user will say the machine is jamming 'everywhere'

Check the finisher output eject rollers/arms give these a good clean.
    Let us eat, drink, and be merry, because tomorrow we may die!

For all your firmware & service manual needs please visit us at:

www.copierfirmware.co.uk - www.printerfirmware.co.uk

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts Gift's Avatar

Does the unit have a 1 bin tray installed? You can try and remove the finisher/bridge and let the customer test it without these options or in case you can get there quick just ask them to call you when this jam occurs and don't remove it until you can have a look.

Also check the logging data for hidden SC codes.

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    Ricoh MPC 5504 exit jams

J060 is an exit sensor LAG jam. That means the trail edge of the paper did not leave the sensor within the time specified. Coukkd be something causing the paper to slow down or could be the exit sensor is slow in responding.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts Codex's Avatar

I had some weird jams in Mp5054 machines, caused by the Bin Tray, try to remove it as suggested! And test the machine without bin tray and bridge unit

Inviato dal mio SM-G935F utilizzando Tapatalk
    Memento Audere Semper

unTrusted Tech 250+ Posts imaginemoko's Avatar

Hi out there,

Thanks

Steve
    Just wondering Sir if they both Jam on SEF and LEF, A4 or A3? how's our PM counts for fuser did we rebuild the fuser or even try to swap for isolation? may we see a photo if it happened to jam.
    fix the customer first then fix the machine... its simple and makes life more easy.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Is jammed paper creased or not?
    What is the total counter?
    It happend all of a sudden, so what paper have they used last month?
    It jams with what printjob? Duplex, finishing, ???
    Do you understand we need more info?

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Hi, and thanks for all your input. I managed to track it down in the end - the gate in the bridge unit was fouling the exit guide (the plastic moulding that clips on by the redundant exit sensor). The users must have partially dislodged it when clearing a jam - I just removed it and relocated it and all seems to be OK now.

I know we all know it, but usually its the simplest thing that gives the hardest issue to solve - the exit guide must have been a fraction of a millimetre out of line....
    I guess the lesson is dont overthink it - go for the simple stuff first!!

Finally I have had some issue with users damaging displays and keypads with antiviral sprays.....sc672-11 was the result of a overzealous soaking of a keypad!!!

Stay Safe

Steve

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts
    Ricoh MPC 5504 exit jams

Hi, and thanks for all your input. I managed to track it down in the end - the gate in the bridge unit was fouling the exit guide (the plastic moulding that clips on by the redundant exit sensor). The users must have partially dislodged it when clearing a jam - I just removed it and relocated it and all seems to be OK now.

I know we all know it, but usually its the simplest thing that gives the hardest issue to solve - the exit guide must have been a fraction of a millimetre out of line....
    I guess the lesson is dont overthink it - go for the simple stuff first!!

Finally I have had some issue with users damaging displays and keypads with antiviral sprays.....sc672-11 was the result of a overzealous soaking of a keypad!!!

Stay Safe

Steve

the contract for service should mention ANY damage caused by the user will result in a time/material cost. explain to them that liquid can damage the display panel... Make them pay for one or two and the activity will cease quickly.