Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Retired 10,000+ Posts
    M605 - Jams First job of the day

Re: M605 - Jams First job of the day

Quote Originally Posted by sandmanmac View Post
    It's a lovely climate controlled office if/when the temperature rises
    It's been lower than seasonal temps around these parts up till now, so no humidity issues anywhere yet

It's actually my largest customer that I've recently inherited, and I maintain a couple dozen machines for them - including several 600 series printers. They do a few million pages/year. No other similar issues to report.
    Since it occurs on the first job in the morning I wonder if it might be the over night temperature? How long before they arrive in the morning does the climate control system kick in?

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    Since it occurs on the first job in the morning I wonder if it might be the over night temperature? How long before they arrive in the morning does the climate control system kick in?
    While this printer/ department is not in use overnight, it's a large trucking company that rolls 24/7, so there are others in the office all the time so I've ruled out anything environmental. Again, also considering the large number of other printers/ MFP's that are running without issue

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts

While this printer/ department is not in use overnight, it's a large trucking company that rolls 24/7, so there are others in the office all the time so I've ruled out anything environmental. Again, also considering the large number of other printers/ MFP's that are running without issue
    Customers are lazy as a 10yr old hound dog. 2 steps further than they are used to and it's like you are asking them to run a marathon. Been there dealt with those types. Most times it's a lawyer or a teacher.
    But I know you can whip them into shape.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Phil B. View Post
    Customers are lazy as a 10yr old hound dog. 2 steps further than they are used to and it's like you are asking them to run a marathon. Been there dealt with those types. Most times it's a lawyer or a teacher.
    But I know you can whip them into shape.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    No Kidding eh!
    And they actually have to make a hairpin turn to get to the original printer, and it's almost a straight line to the backup, so I think it's technically less effort now

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Do they haul a lot of perishables where they are required to have tracking thermometers in the trailers? If they have the ones that track both temperature and humidity it wolud be interesting to see what the humidity drops to over night. Low humidity can equal high potential for static.

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    The only time that I've seen this particular situation, was a customer that had the air conditioner on a timer to shut down at 1700 and start back up again at 0800. When I showed up in the morning it was really hot and humid in the summer. I was not able to convince them to change anything, so I guess it must have just continued every summer. They stopped calling about it, and that was welcome. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by blackcat4866 View Post
    The only time that I've seen this particular situation, was a customer that had the air conditioner on a timer to shut down at 1700 and start back up again at 0800. When I showed up in the morning it was really hot and humid in the summer. I was not able to convince them to change anything, so I guess it must have just continued every summer. They stopped calling about it, and that was welcome. =^..^=
    I had a few problems with the old Aficio 1022/1027 giving SC542 if the ambient temperature was too low at power on. Ricoh released an update to the SBCU firmware that added a SP option to force additional fuser idling time when the temperature was below a certain level.

I also had a Gestetner 5502, Aficio 1055, at the records office, portable building(trailer), that gave warm up errors during the winter. I asked them to try not to use it until the heat had been on for at least 30 minutes. As they knew my mother-in-law, she used to be their boss, they were willing to comply.

Well.....I returned the printer today and after explaining that I was unable to duplicate the issue over 3 days and several hundred pages, I powered it up and it jammed on the very first page!
    But this time it continued doing so after removing the paper.

I grabbed another toner cartridge off the shelf, popped it in, and no jam. Reinstalled the old cartridge..... Jam.
    I did it 4 more times just to be sure, and it did it every single time.

I can't see anything physically wrong with the drum hub, or gears on the cartridge, and it turns freely by hand, but there's apparently something that's not quite right. Seems that maybe the actuator on the cover possibly isn't seating correctly on that cartridge when yo close it.

Must admit...I'm a little embarrassed that it ended up being just a toner cartridge, but I've never seen one fail in such a strange and intermittent way before.

I'm glad it showed up again while I was there ( and not next week), and also became more persistent. It sure makes troubleshooting easier when you can witness the problem, and do things that change the behavior.

I appreciate all your input and conversation though!

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

Thanks for posting back! Sometimes it's just luck that gets you in front of the machine at the right moment. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Sharp & HP Tech 100+ Posts austonrush's Avatar

Hey Guys,

The most common cause of toner jamming on all these newer hp toners is the drum dongle gear. Either the spring pops off, or one of the 2 pins will snap completely. See image below:

That broken shard will be in the printer after the customer switches the defective toner so, don't assume anything and always take a look for it!

87a dongle gear.jpg