Senior Tech 250+ Posts

SR-3240 capabilities

I don’t know if it’s my lack of playing around with settings, or I’m asking it to do something it’s not able to, but here’s the issue and it may make or break a deal. So any help is much appreciated.

I have an MP C6004 with an SR-3240 booklet finisher on it. All I’m trying to do is print a booklet with a card stock cover page. The booklet is 3-pages total, duplex, 8.5x11 saddle-stitch. My issue is trying to put the first page on the car stock paper from the bypass set to thick 2 and the rest from tray 2.

when I select cover page from bypass...it deselects the 2 at center staple option, leading me to believe you can’t do both of those at the same time of course. When I try from a Mac, I can choose all the necessary settings, first page from bypass and the rest from tray 2, but when it hits the printer it says “resetting job”

So can this 3240 not saddle stitch multiple pages with card stock piece of paper being the first? Is it to thick? I don’t have the exact poundage of it, but it’s not that thick, i thought this machine was capable of it as I looked up the specifications but for some reason I can’t get it to work.

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    SR-3240 capabilities

Re: SR-3240 capabilities

On most models Saddle Stitch/Center Fold are not allowed by default from the bypass tray. On a few model it can be enabled from within User Tools. If you don't have a either a PB3150 or PB3160 you may be screwed.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    On most models Saddle Stitch/Center Fold are not allowed by default from the bypass tray. On a few model it can be enabled from within User Tools. If you don't have a either a PB3150 or PB3160 you may be screwed.
    i have a pb-3160. You’re saying I need to put the cardstock in a tray other than the bypass and it will work?

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    SR-3240 capabilities

Quote Originally Posted by ABS tect View Post
    i have a pb-3160. You’re saying I need to put the cardstock in a tray other than the bypass and it will work?
    Well, try it. You can also try setting the card stock tray or bypass to plain paper to see if the card stock setting is what is stopping you.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Ok so some progress has been made, and it is slowly moving to a different issue which I am not sure is under the category of this forum, but rather a computer issue.

So the question of can it do it, is yes. I did what slimslob suggested and put the cardstock in tray 3, and it printed correctly, even with a thick 2 setting, saddle stitch with a cover page out of tray 3 and the rest out of tray 2 on plain.

The new issue, which is most likely an entire new topic, is I could only get it to print from Word and off of a PC. Issue is the customer needs to print as a PDF and from a Mac. When I print from a Mac, in the print properties everything holds and looks correct but as soon as the machine receives it the machine resets the job as if it didn’t like the settings.

The print settings are different in a Mac then a PC obviously but can’t seem to figure this out and have drove myself mad. Any help is appreciated, thanks again slimslob for the advice, and I understand if I just need to mess around some more with drivers and settings as it appears to be a computer issue now.

thanks

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Ok so some progress has been made, and it is slowly moving to a different issue which I am not sure is under the category of this forum, but rather a computer issue.

So the question of can it do it, is yes. I did what slimslob suggested and put the cardstock in tray 3, and it printed correctly, even with a thick 2 setting, saddle stitch with a cover page out of tray 3 and the rest out of tray 2 on plain.

The new issue, which is most likely an entire new topic, is I could only get it to print from Word and off of a PC. Issue is the customer needs to print as a PDF and from a Mac. When I print from a Mac, in the print properties everything holds and looks correct but as soon as the machine receives it the machine resets the job as if it didn’t like the settings.

The print settings are different in a Mac then a PC obviously but can’t seem to figure this out and have drove myself mad. Any help is appreciated, thanks again slimslob for the advice, and I understand if I just need to mess around some more with drivers and settings as it appears to be a computer issue now.

thanks
    Make sure the MAC has the Ricoh PPD loaded. If you are using the default Bonjour you will not have all the options. Add the PPD with the IP and the HP protocol. With the correct PPD loaded you will have all the options that a PC driver has. You can also send the print job down to the "Document Server",its under the "Job" tab and output it from the machines control panel.

Good luck

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Brianneoe View Post
    Make sure the MAC has the Ricoh PPD loaded. If you are using the default Bonjour you will not have all the options. Add the PPD with the IP and the HP protocol. With the correct PPD loaded you will have all the options that a PC driver has. You can also send the print job down to the "Document Server",its under the "Job" tab and output it from the machines control panel.

Good luck
    Going to try this out today. Thanks

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Brianneoe View Post

Good luck
    Ok I think this might actually work, I'm not sure if it was the computer or driver but whenever I sent the job to Document server from adobe it would still print out, but every other print job would hold in the Document server. But I exited out of everything, re-installed the printer, and printed the job from to the DS and it finally worked!

At this point I think this is the best I can do given that I'm stuck with using a Mac. Hopefully the customer will accept this as a solution, having to go to the Document Server instead of it just printing it out.

Follow up question, because this is super annoying with the media type...I want to run my thick paper through the bypass tray, is there any way to allow the machine to saddle stitch from the bypass tray at all? Even plain paper? Any time I select the bypass tray it automatically won't allow saddle stitch and vice versa. Any way to override this?

You guys have been awesome, thanks so much.

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    SR-3240 capabilities

Follow up question, because this is super annoying with the media type...I want to run my thick paper through the bypass tray, is there any way to allow the machine to saddle stitch from the bypass tray at all? Even plain paper? Any time I select the bypass tray it automatically won't allow saddle stitch and vice versa. Any way to override this?

You guys have been awesome, thanks so much.
    If there is it would be something in either User Tools or WIM.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Hey all, can't thank you guys enough for all the responses. I have got the customer up and functioning properly and closed the deal

I wanted to share what I found worked for me, I will also copy and paste this response in the other thread I started, as they are slightly related.

I borrowed a friends Mac all week and did a crap ton of testing on the same exact unit that I was proposing to my customer (MP C6004 w/SR-3240 finisher).
    To make a long story short, the fastest way I got the machine to print a file from photoshop or adobe dc was setting the machine up through the IP address (of course) and using the LPD route. The LPD one was the only one I found to actually show the job spooling from the mac print q and once it finished and sent to the machine the machine printed it out quickly.

On the finisher side of things, I found a couple of issues, but the main one was the tray settings. I had said that as soon as the print job hit the machine, it would say "resetting job" even if I sent the job with proper settings that the machine was capable of. I discovered that the machine in the customers office tray settings were set to "driver command" rather than "machine settings". Once I set the trays to machine settings, the job would run .

For doing saddle stitch, I couldn't find a way to do it through the bypass, not a huge deal I can adjust.
    As far as running the job with a cover page of thick 2 quality, and the rest of the job on plain paper, I found there was no way to choose the paper type of the cover page on a Mac print driver separate from the rest of the job. So what I did was just split the difference and set both trays to thick 1, choose my cover sheet tray, and the machine printed the sucker out no problem. Hopefully I don't have any issues running a thicker cardstock on thick 1, but that is the best I could come up with!

Hope this may help anyone who cares, thanks again for your help. Thankful for this community of techs and their wisdom.