Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Technician

HP M605 faded (vertical) streaks down the page

Hello,

I was recently handed down an HP M605 printer that was stored unused for more than 7 months. The print quality is actually okay for letters/documents, but the problem appears once there are filled regions in the page.

Whether it's a solid black or shade of gray, there would be white faded streaks down the page, and they would always be in the same position.

I've already tried cleaning the transfer roller, but it didn't help. Has anyone encountered this already before? What part of the printer should I be looking at to solve this problem?

Thank you

20210522194022500_0001.jpg20210522194159478_0001.jpg
    Last edited by rapha; 05-22-2021 at 12:15 PM.

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts

Re: HP M605 faded (vertical) streaks down the page

Quote Originally Posted by rapha View Post
    Hello,

I was recently handed down an HP M605 printer that was stored unused for more than 7 months. The print quality is actually okay for letters/documents, but the problem appears once there are filled regions in the page.

Whether it's a solid black or shade of gray, there would be white faded streaks down the page, and they would always be in the same position.

I've already tried cleaning the transfer roller, but it didn't help. Has anyone encountered this already before? What part of the printer should I be looking at to solve this problem?

Thank you

20210522194022500_0001.jpg20210522194159478_0001.jpg
    Toner carts degrade after not being used for a time.
    Bet it was stored in an area that wasn't kept in a environmental controlled area.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Looks like most lasers that have set for months do. Toner separatess from the developer and settles to the bottom of the development unit. This causes the developer to go south in a hurry and sometimes the development unit as well.

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    Looks like most lasers that have set for months do. Toner separatess from the developer and settles to the bottom of the development unit. This causes the developer to go south in a hurry and sometimes the development unit as well.
    dev units in these machines are built into the toner carts... they are AIO's.

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts

It's a mono component system.
    Replace the cartridge

Technician

Thank you everyone for the suggestions.

Yes, it was just stored in a covered but open-air location. Moisture during rainy days could have ruined it. When I took a peek inside, there seems to be a roller of rubber material in contact with the drum. The rubber material seems to have white streaks and blotches on it as if moisture seeped deep into the material then dried very slowly. I really do hope it's just the cartridge and not something that's not user-replaceable.

The toner cartridge still has 8,000 pages or so to it (out of 10,500), so will try to remember to report back once I get to swap it with a new one.

The cartridges come with an electronic chip and I'm not sure if swapping a new one and an old one back and forth is possible.

Thank you everyone for the suggestions.

Yes, it was just stored in a covered but open-air location. Moisture during rainy days could have ruined it. When I took a peek inside, there seems to be a roller of rubber material in contact with the drum. The rubber material seems to have white streaks and blotches on it as if moisture seeped deep into the material then dried very slowly. I really do hope it's just the cartridge and not something that's not user-replaceable.

The toner cartridge still has 8,000 pages or so to it (out of 10,500), so will try to remember to report back once I get to swap it with a new one.

The cartridges come with an electronic chip and I'm not sure if swapping a new one and an old one back and forth is possible.
    just replace the toner cart and be done with it...

hopefully it is a Genuine OEM HP toner and not some 'turd party' toner.

Technician

Quote Originally Posted by Phil B. View Post
    just replace the toner cart and be done with it...

hopefully it is a Genuine OEM HP toner and not some 'turd party' toner.
    Yes, both current and spares are Genuine HP toner cartridges. Letters and documents print just fine, so will just keep using it for now.

Probably in two months' time I will get the chance to swap the new one in.

Many thanks again!

Yes, both current and spares are Genuine HP toner cartridges. Letters and documents print just fine, so will just keep using it for now.

Probably in two months' time I will get the chance to swap the new one in.

Many thanks again!
    glad to help!

*Side note... don't upgrade firmware to the latest IF they EVER want to use 3rd party toners... it will prevent printing and give a message

Unsupported supplies or something like that.

Technician

Quote Originally Posted by Phil B. View Post
    glad to help!

*Side note... don't upgrade firmware to the latest IF they EVER want to use 3rd party toners... it will prevent printing and give a message

Unsupported supplies or something like that.
    Thanks for the tip, I'm also aware of that. Can't blame HP if third-party components really do damage their products and consequently their image. I heard they even went as far as removing the old firmware versions from their website so you won't be able to downgrade back.

Too late though, I already upgraded the firmware to latest. But it's alright since we don't plan to use 3rd party toners anyway.

I personally find the printer to be very well made and a joy to use, it just doesn't feel right to pair it with anything else other than original cartridges.