Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Sharp MX-M1204 to Dell switch

Hi I have an interesting problem we moved the customers MFP to a new building and at the new building they have Dell switches and when connecting the Sharp copier to the switch the copier network lights do not even come on when we connected a Vop phone to the switch and the copier to the output of the Vop phone now network is working fine I can’t figure out what is causing this we even disabled POE on that port of the switch and it still did not work it only work with the phone in-line.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts rthonpm's Avatar

Re: Sharp MX-M1204 to Dell switch

Is there some kind of access control on the switch where only registered MAC addresses can connect? If you put the copier on DHCP for an address, does it get anything other than a 169.x.x.x address?

Sent from my BlackBerry using Tapatalk

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Hi Rthonpm
    The copier does not see a connection at all, I did not try giving the copiers MAC address an IP address, I will try that.

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts
    Sharp MX-M1204 to Dell switch

Quote Originally Posted by Craigcul View Post
    Hi Rthonpm
    The copier does not see a connection at all, I did not try giving the copiers MAC address an IP address, I will try that.

You can't assign a MAC address.. the MAC address is built in to every unit and cannot be changed.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

The Wolf 2,500+ Posts mojorolla's Avatar

I would check the switch for IP or MAC filtering. The phone could be an approved device and would allow the copier to connect through it.
    The copier would not be on the approved list and its connection would be refused.

Failing to plan is planning to fail!!!

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts tsbservice's Avatar

Hi Rthonpm

If MFP's mac address is not reserved on their switch most likely integreted maind board(wirh NIC) is culprit.
    A tree is known by its fruit, a man by his deeds. A good deed is never lost, he who sows courtesy, reaps friendship, and he who plants kindness gathers love.

Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused.

I don't reply to private messages from end users.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Phil B. View Post
    You can't assign a MAC address.. the MAC address is built in to every unit and cannot be changed.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Hi what i ment is that i will tell IT to set the copiers Mac address to an ip address on the switch then possably the switch would connect to that device I have told them to try that buy they have not got back to me yet but as they are in a new building they are still setting up many users as well.
    Thank from
    Craig

The Wolf 2,500+ Posts mojorolla's Avatar

Hi what i ment is that i will tell IT to set the copiers Mac address to an ip address on the switch then possably the switch would connect to that device I have told them to try that buy they have not got back to me yet but as they are in a new building they are still setting up many users as well.
    Thank from
    Craig
    Set the machines IP as static, get MAC and IP then tell their IT guys to set a DHCP reservation for the machines address.
    This reads like a restricted network and the only way this will be resolved is with their IT department.

Failing to plan is planning to fail!!!