Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Odd scan toi email error

I have a M5526 plugged into a netgear switch which it then plugged into the broadband router. It prints fine and I can open the webpage and if i do a test on the scan to email settings, it test as OK, but when i try scanning something it fails and the report shows a 2202 error Error Type : Transfer

Any ideas guys?

Re: Odd scan toi email error

lengthening the timeout wait to 180

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts
    Odd scan toi email error

Quote Originally Posted by Leebs14 View Post
    I have a M5526 plugged into a netgear switch which it then plugged into the broadband router. It prints fine and I can open the webpage and if i do a test on the scan to email settings, it test as OK, but when i try scanning something it fails and the report shows a 2202 error Error Type : Transfer

Any ideas guys?

1. Make sure to set a valid sender address
    2. Check for size limit settings
    3. If the SMTP server requires authentication, set that correctly. (you can successfully test a connection to an SMTP server with authentication turned off but it won't allow sending if authentication is required).

Senior Tech 250+ Posts
    Odd scan toi email error

Any ideas guys?
    Are you sure there's not multiple routers? I had one before and they had multiple managed switches and gateways was a right mess. I manually set the gateway to a different switch to the one DHCP picked up and it worked fine on the one off DHCP it would timeout constantly.

Id maybe plug a laptop into same switch and ping the email server just so you can go yup it's a network problem goodbye.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts Ropariva's Avatar

Any ideas guys?
    If it works ok at the web page but fails to send then you can be sure your machine can find and communicate with the mail server eliminating any router issues, but that’s it. It doesn’t mean the mail server will allow relaying, which is becoming quite a problem now.
    If it’s G Mail, you’ll need to log into the clients account and under security allow less secure apps and at the machine use authentication, TLS etc
    If it’s unauthenticated on port 25 ensure a valid email account is used, otherwise your mail server may not allow relaying.

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    Odd scan toi email error

Have you checked to see if the email was actually sent? Kyocera models have had this problem for years. The solution has been to so what bsm2 has suggested. Apparently the M5526 is timing out before the SMTP server sends the ACK or at least the ACK propagates back to the M5526. Default time out is 30 seconds. Try changing the time out to 60 or even 90.

Owner/Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    Odd scan toi email error

The other thing you can try, is to ping the mail server. It will reply with the IP address. Use it instead of the hostname to eliminate DNS as the possible cause for the errors. You don't really want to keep it that way though, in case the IP address changes.
    Hope that helps !
    -Tony

www.dtios.com
    Become a fan on Facebook

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bsm2 View Post
    lengthening the timeout wait to 180
    Perfect worked a treat, thank you