Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

Re: canon hard drives

Quote Originally Posted by copier tech View Post

Which model Canon did the drive come from?

C250. Doesn't matter though, I've tried others with same result.
    I've proved mathematics wrong. 1 + 1 doesn't always equal 2.........

Especially when it comes to sex

Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    canon hard drives

From which kind of hdd we speak? ide ? sata ?

Donīt mount a drive for badblocks!
    For badblocks you never need to mount the drive...
    make a
    lsblk
    it shows the drives are connected.

something like sdx

where x is your drive

badblocks -svwf /dev/sdx

try this.

regards michael

PS: maybe somtheing helps:
    4 Unlock And Recover Hard Drive Password With Hard Disk Password Removal Tool
    My profile is not working at the moment. The profile you see is not mine. Board redirects to a wrong userprofile. So you CANīT REACH ME over the profile via SEND PRIVATE MESSAGE and even not over regular Email too

You only can contact me if you click my name on a post and select PRIVATE MESSAGE straight from there.

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    canon hard drives

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    From which kind of hdd we speak? ide ? sata ?

Donīt mount a drive for badblocks!
    For badblocks you never need to mount the drive...
    make a
    lsblk
    it shows the drives are connected.

something like sdx

where x is your drive

badblocks -svwf /dev/sdx

try this.

regards michael

PS: maybe somtheing helps:
    4 Unlock And Recover Hard Drive Password With Hard Disk Password Removal Tool
    One problem with that link. It does not cover TPM encrypted drives. They use a triple level access, password, encryption key and encrypted handshake with the original hardware it was installed in.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    One problem with that link. It does not cover TPM encrypted drives. They use a triple level access, password, encryption key and encrypted handshake with the original hardware it was installed in.

Totally agree with Slim. I have cleaned several hdd's in the past with dban, lots of times even a simple windows format gets them usable. The problem with these Canon hdd's are read/write is cancelled due to the TPM. Gparted knows the disk is there, but can't read/write, same with all of the others. They all know the disk is there but can't do anything with it because of the TPM coding in the hdd bios.
    I've proved mathematics wrong. 1 + 1 doesn't always equal 2.........

Especially when it comes to sex

Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    canon hard drives

maybe this:

How to remove password from your Hard Disk ? – GreeksCrowd

or this:

ATA Secure Erase - ata Wiki

helps.

A TPM doesnīt do any encryption it store only the keys.
    so the question is what kind of encryption canon use.

What is a TPM, and Why Does Windows Need One For Disk Encryption?
    My profile is not working at the moment. The profile you see is not mine. Board redirects to a wrong userprofile. So you CANīT REACH ME over the profile via SEND PRIVATE MESSAGE and even not over regular Email too

You only can contact me if you click my name on a post and select PRIVATE MESSAGE straight from there.

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    canon hard drives

maybe this:

How to remove password from your Hard Disk ? – GreeksCrowd

or this:

ATA Secure Erase - ata Wiki

helps.

A TPM doesnīt do any encryption it store only the keys.
    so the question is what kind of encryption canon use.

What is a TPM, and Why Does Windows Need One For Disk Encryption?
    Your last link explains why you cannot do anything to a TPM drive from a Canon MFP. TPM stands for “Trusted Platform Module” and that trusted platform is the Canon MFP that the drive was removed from. As for encryption, it requires a 2 part decryption code. One part is stored on a chip on the board on the drive. The other is stored on the Canon.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    canon hard drives

Trusted Platform Module (TPM)
    Every imageRUNNER ADVANCE system includes a Trusted Platform Module (TPM), a tamper-resistant
    open standards security chip that is responsible for encrypting and decrypting information such as
    passwords, certificates, IDs and cryptographic keys. TPM protects information on the internal hard disk
    drive by storing the encryption key in a separate location. Once enabled, the device will not launch if the
    TPM chip is removed to protect against physical attacks.
    TPM functionality is disabled by default. The feature can be enabled on Canon imageRUNNER
    ADVANCE devices within the Additional Functions menu. Once enabled, it is important to back up
    the TPM key in the event of failure through USB memory.

HDD Password Lock
    The imageRUNNER ADVANCE Series offer a feature called HDD Lock. HDD Lock provides the
    capability of securing the HDD with a Password making it difficult to access the data that is stored on the
    hard disk to be accessed. If the HDD is physically removed from the device, its data cannot be accessed
    via a PC.

HDD Lock have nothing to do with encrypting Data on the drive. This are TWO different things.

tonerhead ask about HDD Lock password nothing about encryption.

How to Remove hard disk password | Restore firmware | Erase HDD password | Bangla - YouTube

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    canon hard drives

tonerhead ask about HDD Lock password nothing about encryption.
    And prior to that he said that he it was locked by TPM. If it does have TPM that cheap YouTube video won't work.

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts
    canon hard drives

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    As for encryption, it requires a 2 part decryption code. One part is stored on a chip on the board on the drive. The other is stored on the Canon.
    According to this site it's using public-key cryptography which uses a public key and a private one, data encrypted with the public key can only be decrypted with the private key and vice versa, finding the private key from the public one is impossible.

With all this talk of complicated encryption, I would be looking at the lowest common denominator, the end user, and weak passwords. The IT department of the company I work for thought the company name with a capital letter at the beginning would be good enough, it didn't fool me.
    When you think you have made a procedure idiot proof your company employs a better idiot.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    canon hard drives

Quote Originally Posted by tonerhead View Post
    I am trying to use a canon hard drive in a computer. Unable to read/write to the hard drive as it needs a password. I am thinking Canon uses TPM to lock down their hard drives to the copier.

I have tried gparted, dban, and everything else, no sucess. Has anyone gotten past this password lockout?
    First:
    you should understand that encryption of data on a harddrive have nothing to do to get access to the harddrive.

The TPM hold only the keys for different security functions. TPM donīt do any encryption of data.

Second:
    If a HDD have a security passwort, then a computer ask for it during boot. But this have still nothing to do with TPM or encryption.

Under Linux try at commandline:

"Even if you freeze or lock your drive by running the above command from a Lenovo laptop with a blank password, it is still possible to unfreeze and unlock it. First, plug the drive into a different computer. Second, perform a power cycle of the drive while you are booted into a drive utility (like Gparted). Third, issue the following command which should disable the security on the drive.

sudo hdparm --security-disable PWD
    "

you can also try HIRENīs boot CD

Old Versions | Hiren's BootCD PE

and use : HDD Erase 4.0: Secure erase using a special feature built into most newer hard drives (Dos Freeware).