Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Field Supervisor 500+ Posts ntbann's Avatar

Re: TA 5501 Fax with voip connection not working reliably

When I have A customer using a 4 wire phone line. I peel the outside coating back and cut the yellow and black wires.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts
    TA 5501 Fax with voip connection not working reliably

Quote Originally Posted by ntbann View Post
    When I have A customer using a 4 wire phone line. I peel the outside coating back and cut the yellow and black wires.
    Thanks so much !!! Appreciate your response !!!

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

I have never seen VOIP work reliable

Quote Originally Posted by Scott View Post
    I have never seen VOIP work reliable
    been working for years now

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bsm2 View Post
    been working for years now

Reason being, the line is a "VOICE" over IP line. They're notorious for having gaps and breaks in the signal, most likely due from the conversion from Analog to Digital, then back to Analog. The human ear can hear "between" the gaps in a voice speaking to you and you can understand what's being spoken, but the fax board hears those same gaps in the data, and says, "Whiskey Tango Foxtrot", then errors out.

Most manufacturers have a VOIP procedure that helps, but the only sure-fire cure is for the customer to use a standard twisted pair analog phone line for faxing. Some providers offer a "FOIP" line that's supposed to make faxes behave better, but I don't have much experience with those.

Quote Originally Posted by guitar9199 View Post
    Reason being, the line is a "VOICE" over IP line. They're notorious for having gaps and breaks in the signal, most likely due from the conversion from Analog to Digital, then back to Analog. The human ear can hear "between" the gaps in a voice speaking to you and you can understand what's being spoken, but the fax board hears those same gaps in the data, and says, "Whiskey Tango Foxtrot", then errors out.

Most manufacturers have a VOIP procedure that helps, but the only sure-fire cure is for the customer to use a standard twisted pair analog phone line for faxing. Some providers offer a "FOIP" line that's supposed to make faxes behave better, but I don't have much experience with those.
    Thanks so much !!! Great Information !!!

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Had this problem in a few locations with both the older Kyocera and Ricoh machines. On this model I used a digital line filter made by RCA and it solved my issue. Bringing down the TX\RX modem rate did not resolve the issue until I added the line filter. This was a fix suggested by Kyocera"s tech support at the time of the installation and has resolved poor digital phone line problems since. The cost is about $10 USD each.

Kyocera's help desk is one of the best out there and I hope they don't make the mistake that Ricoh did with trying to automate there process.

Quote Originally Posted by Brianneoe View Post
    Had this problem in a few locations with both the older Kyocera and Ricoh machines. On this model I used a digital line filter made by RCA and it solved my issue. Bringing down the TX\RX modem rate did not resolve the issue until I added the line filter. This was a fix suggested by Kyocera"s tech support at the time of the installation and has resolved poor digital phone line problems since. The cost is about $10 USD each.

Kyocera's help desk is one of the best out there and I hope they don't make the mistake that Ricoh did with trying to automate there process.
    I am with you. Those Kyocera techs at the helpdesk are GREAT. They have saved my tail many times...