Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

Re: canon hard drives

Quote Originally Posted by emujo2 View Post
    Not a Canon tech, but in KM world if lock or encryption password is lost the HDD can be formatted, this will remove the lock/encryption password and any data on the drive. TPM is no enabled by default. I'm not sure if a HDD with KM encryption and lock password can be erased outside of the machine. E

I am guessing it can be erased, seems to me I've done a couple in the past. I believe there is software lock (your case) and hardware lock (my case). I believe hardware lock is part of TPM.
    I've proved mathematics wrong. 1 + 1 doesn't always equal 2.........

Especially when it comes to sex

Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    canon hard drives

Just found:

View topic - ATA password bypassing

I will help you and for free to get rig of that password !!!!

First just to grab a copy of MHDD prior to the latest version.
    Download MHDD 4.5 from here :
    HDDGURU: MHDD
    You will need it because it contain the ATA terminal that you will need for our little experience. Also use the floppy version, if you use the CD ISO you will end up with a "virtual ram drive" when you boot the MHDD and not the real a: assigned to the floppy.

Then open your notepad and past the following script :

Code:
    ; rm modul id 42
    reset
    waitnbsy
    regs = $57 $44 $43 $00 $00 $a0 $8a
    waitnbsy
    regs = $00 $02 $00 $00 $0F $E0 $21
    waitnbsy
    checkdrq
    sectorsto = 42.bin
    ; End.

save the file with a simple name, like "wdpwd" and remove the .txt extension to the file. You should end up with a filename witjout extension. Save that file to the "Scripts" folder of your MHDD 4.5

Now boot your MHDD copy and detect the locked drive. Mhdd will tell you the drive is locked. Don't worry and issue a .wdpwd or whatever you named the file.

You should end up with a file named 42.bin on the disk you used to boot mhdd.
    If you have booted from cd you will have to copy the file out of it to a floppy, etc ...
    Post the content here, if you can't figure out where the password is

Happy unlocking for free !
    Without expensive tools.
    That experience will also give you an idea about the true importance of vendor-specific ata commands.
    My profile is not working at the moment. The profile you see is not mine. Board redirects to a wrong userprofile. So you CANīT REACH ME over the profile via SEND PRIVATE MESSAGE and even not over regular Email too

You only can contact me if you click my name on a post and select PRIVATE MESSAGE straight from there.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Just found:

View topic - ATA password bypassing

I will help you and for free to get rig of that password !!!!

First just to grab a copy of MHDD prior to the latest version.
    Download MHDD 4.5 from here :
    HDDGURU: MHDD
    You will need it because it contain the ATA terminal that you will need for our little experience. Also use the floppy version, if you use the CD ISO you will end up with a "virtual ram drive" when you boot the MHDD and not the real a: assigned to the floppy.

Then open your notepad and past the following script :

Code:
    ; rm modul id 42
    reset
    waitnbsy
    regs = $57 $44 $43 $00 $00 $a0 $8a
    waitnbsy
    regs = $00 $02 $00 $00 $0F $E0 $21
    waitnbsy
    checkdrq
    sectorsto = 42.bin
    ; End.

save the file with a simple name, like "wdpwd" and remove the .txt extension to the file. You should end up with a filename witjout extension. Save that file to the "Scripts" folder of your MHDD 4.5

Now boot your MHDD copy and detect the locked drive. Mhdd will tell you the drive is locked. Don't worry and issue a .wdpwd or whatever you named the file.

You should end up with a file named 42.bin on the disk you used to boot mhdd.
    If you have booted from cd you will have to copy the file out of it to a floppy, etc ...
    Post the content here, if you can't figure out where the password is

Happy unlocking for free !
    Without expensive tools.
    That experience will also give you an idea about the true importance of vendor-specific ata commands.
    Tried this even though it is from 2009.

"Now boot your MHDD copy and detect the locked drive. Mhdd will tell you the drive is locked"

MHDD will not detect the drive, keeps coming back saying Drive is not ready

I'm done. Appreciate all of the suggestions. Maybe someday, someone will crack these soda coasters. I guess it won't be me though

Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    canon hard drives

how big is this harddrive ? GB ?
    My profile is not working at the moment. The profile you see is not mine. Board redirects to a wrong userprofile. So you CANīT REACH ME over the profile via SEND PRIVATE MESSAGE and even not over regular Email too

You only can contact me if you click my name on a post and select PRIVATE MESSAGE straight from there.

320gb sata. 2.5 in form factor Seagate

Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    canon hard drives

maybe you can look for a other normal spare hdd with same modell and firmware and pcb version. so you can test if password is stored on drive or on pcb. if you want make fotos from both sides. but i think even if i have this drive it is to expensive to send it to USA from germany.

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts tsbservice's Avatar

Still waiting for experienced Canon techs coming...but looks none are around. Getting HDD out of old copier inevitably ends with failure based on my experience.
    A tree is known by its fruit, a man by his deeds. A good deed is never lost, he who sows courtesy, reaps friendship, and he who plants kindness gathers love.

Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused.

I don't reply to private messages from end users.

Does a Canon MX490 printer have a hard drive? If so, how do I access the hard drive to remove it from the printer?
    today gold rate in hyderabad

Quote Originally Posted by tsbservice View Post
    Still waiting for experienced Canon techs coming...but looks none are around. Getting HDD out of old copier inevitably ends with failure based on my experience.

You know back a decade or two when 60 minutes did the expose on copier hard drives, I was working for Toshiba at the time. We were all laughing when we saw "the expert" go and pick a copier to get info off of the hdd. The ones he selected were Toshibas. We all knew where he was going with it. I remember myself pulling a drive from a toshie and looking at it hooked up to an xp box. You really could see a lot.

I've really had the opposite with copier hdd's. Every computer I have ever built has had copier hard drive(s) in it. Can't say I've ever had one fail. I always run a check on the smart diagnostics, then I run a recertification test and eventually a low level format. It takes a while to do all of this, but you start, mow the lawn, check, do the dishes check......so you are not really tied to the computer that is doing it all. If the hdd fails, I don't use it. I've found with a lot of Ricoh hdd's that throw SC680's you can test them, verify they are good and reuse in Ricohs. My theory is they get so fragmented that they fail on the software side, they show no smart errors, they will run through verification just fine, just low level format and they are good for anything.

Quote Originally Posted by OliverAva View Post
    Does a Canon MX490 printer have a hard drive? If so, how do I access the hard drive to remove it from the printer?
    today gold rate in hyderabad

That is a consumer inkjet model. I do not deal with Pixma's and I don't have service info on them. For the pixmas I have dealt with, not a one had a hard drive.