Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Technician

Re: SMTP Authentication causes error

Quote Originally Posted by rthonpm View Post
    Which SMTP server are you using: smtp.google.com or aspmx.l.google.com?

If the customer doesn't need to send to recipients outside their organisation, the second server with no authentication may be the better option.

Unfortunately this is not an option as the customer does need to send to recipients outside the organization

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts kingarthur's Avatar

On the Konica Minolta the Gmail email address isn't inserted where the device email address goes for Gmail but where the device name is, is this the same for the Ricoh
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Tip for the day; Treat every problem as your dog would.....If you cant eat it or f*ck it....then p*ss on it & walk away...

Technician

Quote Originally Posted by kingarthur View Post
    On the Konica Minolta the Gmail email address isn't inserted where the device email address goes for Gmail but where the device name is, is this the same for the Ricoh

This is not the case with ricoh. Thanks for trying

Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    SMTP Authentication causes error

Quote Originally Posted by ThePomqueteer View Post
    Is 2 factor authentication on? If you know the password you are putting in is correct, you might have 2 factor authentication and might have to create an app password.

Another odd one, but it was on O365 on a Ricoh. Kept getting authentication error, no 2FA enabled. Ended up being the password. We changed the password to something a bit less complex and it worked. Very strange but I only saw it once.

Another thing to keep in mind is the 04 has a smart op panel. I find sometimes the panels default the on screen keyboard to some Chinese keyboard and I have to go in and change it through Screen Features under User Tools (I think its under something like Language and Input but don't have one in front of me atm). Now that I think of it, maybe this is why the complex password on the situation above wasn't working.
    This reminded me of something I encountered once. Spent half a day setting and resetting every variable we could think of to get the email to work, ended up changing the password to something simpler to get the solve. Had to be a character or something that isn't translating, even if it's just for troubleshooting purposes if you aren't doing an app password I would change it to something incredibly simple to try. So much wasted time on that box.

Technician

Quote Originally Posted by M94 View Post
    This reminded me of something I encountered once. Spent half a day setting and resetting every variable we could think of to get the email to work, ended up changing the password to something simpler to get the solve. Had to be a character or something that isn't translating, even if it's just for troubleshooting purposes if you aren't doing an app password I would change it to something incredibly simple to try. So much wasted time on that box.

Holy shit! That did it. Not like it was a complex password before (made it strictly for the scan to email setup. Will not be used for anything). I had tried setting up a different account for it as well. Never thought about it but both had ! in the password. I just changed the passwords and both accounts are now working. Apparently Ricoh does not like !. Thank you

Technician

Just wanted to say Thank you to everybody that replied and helped out with this issue. You guys are awesome.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jonmdci View Post
    Holy shit! That did it. Not like it was a complex password before (made it strictly for the scan to email setup. Will not be used for anything). I had tried setting up a different account for it as well. Never thought about it but both had ! in the password. I just changed the passwords and both accounts are now working. Apparently Ricoh does not like !. Thank you
    Glad it helped man, I think mine was a _ on a Kyocera password but it just seems like some of these copiers have trouble with certain special characters for whatever reason. I've started to just try and use upper, lower, and numbers only.

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jonmdci View Post
    While this is definitely interesting, and something to keep in mind for future, I can't help but point out that enabling 2FA, and creating an App P/W as I suggested days ago would have also resolved the issue (in a more secure way), had you tried it.
    Just saying...

Retired 10,000+ Posts

I try to avoid the use of punctuation characters. I have encountered sites that only allow @ # $ % ^ & *