Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Service Manager 10,000+ Posts
    Why do sales guys speak so loud?

Re: Why do sales guys speak so loud?

Quote Originally Posted by tonerhead View Post
    Billy: good question. Most service will answer service, most sales will answer sales. Reality though, they are both tough. What bugs me though is sales can't do what service does and vice versa. Yet a seasoned sales person will make 3-4 times what a service person does. There are some dealers out there that recognize the symbient relation between sales and service. So as the sales person does better, some of the wealth is passed onto service rep also.

Back to the thread though. Every place I have worked at sales and service tend to separate at company functions. Sales side is generally found in loud conversations, bragging about this and that and name dropping. Service side is quieter, generally talking about home repairs, auto repairs, saving up for a camping trip, etc. It is rare that you will find service bragging about their work accomplishments like many sales do.

I find it interesting that a new sale person will always start out by picking a techs brain for info on customers, machines, and general advice. Then once they get rolling, they turn over to the dark side and are better than the techs. At least that is my observation.
    This is gonna be really unpopular on this board. But keep in mind that I've done both. And I have a lot of experience with both.

The reason that sales people make more than a tech is because of the following:

1. Sales is the harder job.
    2. Good sales people are harder to find.

Imagine calling on perfect strangers every day and trying to set an appointment to discuss their copy needs?

If you don't think that's hard, get on the phone one day and just call some random businesses and try to give away a free cleaning of the office copier. FREE! Not trying to sell anything but FREE. You'll get hung up on. Run out of office. Cursed at. And occasionally
    someone will take you up on your offer.

When you're a tech, you don't walk thru their door unannounced and the machine is predictable after you've worked on enough of them. People are unpredictable and that's who salespeople have to deal with...perfect strangers.
    Growth is found only in adversity.

PS - I promise you if a sales person walks into an office trying to sell something and they're talking loud, they will get run out instantly. And if they're talking super loud at your home office, then that's the fault of your ownership/manager for allowing it to happen and creating an uncomfortable atmosphere.

Technician

Quote Originally Posted by BillyCarpenter View Post
    No offense to anyone but I think most of the opinions stated about sales people are a result of confirmation bias. In other words, most of you don't care for sales people (common in copier business/sales vs. service).

I don't think sales people are born talking loud nor have they developed it after they got into sales. I also don't think a sales person will be successful if they're screaming at the top of their lungs to a potential customer.

The truth is, some people are loud and brash. That's true for sales, service and ownership.

Only gonna reply to this part, as I think the other parts fit the theme here
    Where I am, we have a symbiotic relationship - sales can't do their thing without the service people, and the service people can't do without the sales guys, and we all know it (Chalk it down to Scandinavian management).
    I was thinking more along the lines of them spending years in offices with bad phone lines, background noise etc. had made their hearing a bit bad so they'll speak louder to be able to hear themselves.

I honestly think both jobs provide their own challenges that the other party wouldn't be able to solve.

Retired 10,000+ Posts

IMHO they speak loudly in order to sound more important than they actually are.

The good news is that there's a high turnover in sales so hopefully the loud ones are replaced.

BTW: Do you know why people get into sales?

No one plans to make a career out of sales. Have you ever asked a young person what they want to be when they grow up and they say that they want to be a sales person?

Most get in sales because they have no other options. Make of that what you will.

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts tsbservice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    IMHO they speak loudly in order to sound more important than they actually are.
    Good point slim I like it. Nevertheless in my eyes good salesman worth his/her weight in gold. I saw it only once while I worked through the years with several good techs.
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyCarpenter View Post
    The good news is that there's a high turnover in sales so hopefully the loud ones are replaced.
    I value your opinions in this topic. Seemed quite logical even I'm biased toward other ends.
    A tree is known by its fruit, a man by his deeds. A good deed is never lost, he who sows courtesy, reaps friendship, and he who plants kindness gathers love.

Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused.

I don't reply to private messages from end users.

Slim is correct that some people talk loud in an attempt to try to sound important or they just want to be noticed.

Like I said, I've worked in both sales and service. My dad was a car dealer and as a kid, he used to take me to work with him in the summer and on weekends. I vividly remember watching the sales staff sell a car to a customer. I also noticed that most of the customers all had the same questions and that the sales staff were really prepared for those questions/concerns because they heard them over and over again.

When I was about 12, I was convinced that I could sell a car so I begged my dad to let me try. I was dead serious. He, on the other hand, got a big kick out of it and just laughed. But I didn't drop it. I made him tell me why he wouldn't give me a chance to sell a car. After he stopped laughing, he told me that I was a 12 year old kid and that no one would buy a car from me. I didn't like that answer but it made a lot sense.

What observations have we made about a copier tech?

Here's the one that comes to mind for me.

At every dealership that I ever worked, there was always one tech that was a dick. He thought he knew more than anyone else. He didn't share any information and it made me want to punch them in the face.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts mloudy's Avatar

Throat punch sales reps and face punch service techs.

On serious note I recently ran into the grandson of the owner of an auto dealership that was around up until about 20 years ago. It was a family owned dealership and the owner and his boys were all what I considered upstanding "gentlemen". Fast forward to today and I get to work on the copiers and printers in the sales offices of dealerhships. As many of you have experienced as a tech we tend to disappear after a few minutes on-site and get to hear things we which we hadn't. Yikes! F this, F that, that F'in idiot.

I will say that the old dealership that have been family owned for generations seems to have a better group of sales reps that at least act like they are professionals when I am around.

I would much rather have a 12 year old come greet me in the car lot than most of the guys I have dealt with over the years.