Page 5 of 59 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141555 ... LastLast

Thread: Green Jobs

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts
    Green Jobs

Re: Green Jobs

... I take another cat nap, and we’re suddenly in Baltimore, doing another series of loops around Federal Hill Park. There are 134 miles left on the battery. That’s when I see the ghostly Rivian. I imagine a future in which an Amazon delivery van (made by Rivian) passes a FedEx van (made by BrightDrop), both silently in service to a world reshaped by e-commerce.The pandemic has fueled a boom in home delivery. Experts predict that the number of delivery vehicles in the largest 100 cities around the world will increase by 36 percent over the next decade. More trucks equal more tailpipe pollution, at least 36 percent or 6 million tons, according to the World Economic Forum.

On the way to our final stop in Washington, DC, I get a call from Mitch Jackson, chief sustainability officer at FedEx. FedEx has been on the hunt for a reliable EV supplier for a long time, he tells me. The company had a deal with erstwhile EV startup Chanje to buy 1,000 electric delivery vans but was left in the lurch when Chanje failed to make good on its promise. (FedEx is now suing Chanje, which ran out of money and officially shut down last year.) BrightDrop, as a wholly owned subsidiary of GM, is more to FedEx’s liking as a partner.

Jackson notes that what we’re doing right now — driving an electric van from New York City to DC to deliver one package — is not FedEx’s standard practice. The delivery company would use a semi truck to deliver many thousands of packages to one of its distribution hubs and then use the electric van for the last-mile delivery. “But it’s indicative that the distance that this vehicle can travel will meet the vast needs of our route structure on a day-in and day-out basis,” he adds.

At 1:57PM, we arrive at Mom’s Organic in Washington, DC. There are 98 miles remaining in the battery, meaning the Zevo 600 will have enough range to make the last leg to the FedEx facility in the district before needing to charge. The film crew captures footage of Marlin “delivering” the packages to a smiling Mom’s employee.

The total distance for the trip is 258.85 miles — eight more miles than its rating. I sign a witness statement as an impartial observer for BrightDrop’s submission to the Guinness World Records. A spokesperson later informs me that the submission was accepted. Quick turnaround!

A real FedEx employee wanders over to where the van is parked, assuming Marlin is a co-worker. His name is William Jones, and he’s been driving for the company for 30 years. After getting a brief primer, he checks out Zevo 600’s cab and the cargo area, whistling his approval. He’s seen enough. He’s ready to go electric.

“In three years I can retire,” he tells me. “Hopefully I’ll get the chance to drive one of these before then.”

The BrightDrop crew is ecstatic. They film his every move and then have him sign a waiver so they can use his image in their sizzle reel. Jones shrugs. Why the hell not. He’s retiring soon anyway.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    Green Jobs

FREE power from Wind and Solar
    Millions of new Jobs

Metairie-based renewable energy and carbon sequestration company says it has picked out sites in Louisiana and Mississippi for three solar energy projects that should generate 390 megawatts annually.

NuQuest Energy LLC said it has leased three sites total, located in southwest Louisiana and central Mississippi, for the solar power plants. The average home uses about 10.7 megawatt hours — or the number of megawatts used continuously in one hour — each year, according to the Energy Information Administration. Louisiana homes lead the nation with an average use of 14.4 megawatt hours per year.

ALL-PURPOSE, ALL-ELECTRIC
    The Club Car Current electric utility truck fills the gap between full-sized trucks and smaller utility carts. Its all-electric design features the latest technology for power, comfort and safety – giving you the durability of a pickup truck with the sleek design and efficiency of an electric vehicle.

Club Car Current is available in three different configurations, pickup, flatbed, and van box

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts
    Green Jobs

Quote Originally Posted by bsm2 View Post
    Metairie-based renewable energy and carbon sequestration company says it has picked out sites in Louisiana and Mississippi for three solar energy projects that should generate 390 megawatts annually.

NuQuest Energy LLC said it has leased three sites total, located in southwest Louisiana and central Mississippi, for the solar power plants. The average home uses about 10.7 megawatt hours — or the number of megawatts used continuously in one hour — each year, according to the Energy Information Administration. Louisiana homes lead the nation with an average use of 14.4 megawatt hours per year.

I can throw a rock and hit Metairie.
    Growth is found only in adversity.

Beta Technologies, an electric aircraft startup working with UPS and backed by Amazon AMZN -2.7%, said it raised a further $375 million to prepare to build a fleet of cargo-delivery copters and the charging network they’ll need to keep them powered up.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    Green Jobs

Maybe, I should post this one in communist Canada post, but it relates to carbon emissions so I think this will be a fitting place for it. Canada is now going after cereal producers for carbon emissions.
    Please Wait... | Cloudflare

Thirteen-thousand acres and up to 100 turbines, this new wind farm in Tunica is expected to generate enough power to provide energy to approximately 70,000 homes across Mississippi.

Researchers point to the flat lands in the Mississippi Delta, which they say allows the wind to be easily captured by turbines. Charles Finkley is President and CEO of the Tunica County Chamber of Commerce. He says they've been collecting data for four years.

"When the wind farm companies came knocking, we already had the data to provide to them to show them that Mississippi was one of the best and most viable places in the South to set up the first wind farm in the area," said Finkley.

Finkley says this is the first wind farm in the state and in the Southeastern region.

Officials say this new wind farm is another investment in alternative renewable energy resources in the state. Earlier this year, Public Service commissioner Brandon Presley announced the approval of the state's largest solar farm. He says the addition of the wind turbine facility sends a message to the rest of the country.

"This sends a signal to the investment community and the rest of the world that Mississippi is open for business for renewable energy projects," said Presley.

"These projects are very beneficial to local taxpayers. The wind farm will be paying millions of dollars in local taxes and will support schools, law enforcement, roads, bridges, infrastructure, and the general welfare of the people in Tunica County."

Presley says the facility will also bring about permanent jobs in the community. The wind turbine facility is expected to be complete by the end of 2023.

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts
    Green Jobs

Quote Originally Posted by bsm2 View Post
    ALL-PURPOSE, ALL-ELECTRIC
    The Club Car Current electric utility truck fills the gap between full-sized trucks and smaller utility carts. Its all-electric design features the latest technology for power, comfort and safety – giving you the durability of a pickup truck with the sleek design and efficiency of an electric vehicle.

Club Car Current is available in three different configurations, pickup, flatbed, and van box

Club Car Current Electric Utility Truck

(5) Club Car Current Electric Utility Truck - YouTube

See all of the incredible features on the new Club Car Current, including:

• Specially designed automotive body panels for enhanced durability.
    • LED lighting for increased visibility and brightness for night driving.
    • Increased legroom and new cup holder design.
    • New two-tone gray bucket seats.
    • 1000W heater keeping occupants warm in all weather conditions.
    • 170 degree field of view backup camera.
    • Latest VRLA gel battery technology for reliable range and maintenance-free batteries.

... not hard to see how this vehicle would be great for campuses, large business premises, golf courses, etc.