Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    Kyocera/Copystar Machine Life Summary Sheet For MFP's

In a web search I was trying to determine the progression of Kyocera/Copystar models. I was able to find this table online however it stops at May 2013.

Kyocera_19_Machine_Life_Summary_Sheet_May_13.pdf

Obviously it doesn't cover the TASKalfa 3501i, 4501i, 5501i B/W MFPs and later products.

Does anyone have an updated file, or a list of the models which followed and their approximate rollout dates?

I also see by this chart that the suggested life cycle is 3 to 5 years. I suppose this is to fit in with a leasing agreement?

Thanks
    Last edited by monarke4; 06-29-2022 at 01:50 PM. Reason: formatting, grammar

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts tsbservice's Avatar

Re: Kyocera/Copystar Machine Life Summary Sheet For MFP's

See if that helps:
    https://we.tl/t-8VFkUXSiAy
    A tree is known by its fruit, a man by his deeds. A good deed is never lost, he who sows courtesy, reaps friendship, and he who plants kindness gathers love.

Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused.

I don't reply to private messages from end users.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tsbservice View Post

Wow wow wow!

This is packed with the right kind of info.

Thanks!

Senior Tech 250+ Posts PrintWhisperer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by monarke4 View Post
    Does anyone have an updated file, or a list of the models which followed and their approximate rollout dates?

I also see by this chart that the suggested life cycle is 3 to 5 years. I suppose this is to fit in with a leasing agreement?

Thanks
    You may have noticed that each new generation augments the last digit of the model number by 1 for the main A3 machine line. (A4's have their own schema)

Generally they are referenced by this number as '1' series, '2' series, etc.

Currently we are in the '4' series, here are some of the major changes in the generations:

Hi-vol frame (6550+/6551+/7252+/7353+) Mostly the same except for fuser change to induction

About every 2 years next gen is released:

'0' series - TLS 1.0 only, SMB 1.0 only 3550-5550 all hybrid developers, individual LSU units, front discharge waste toner

'1' series - TLS 1.2, SMB 1/2/3 added

'2' series - 2552/3552 no hybrid developer:simple dual component mag roller, Inductive fusing, Single LSU box (better DPI, alignment), Rear Waste discharge, simplified PM disassembly, SSD implementation.

'3' series - Modified frame for increased DPI performance, true 1200dpi print output available.

Current:
    '4' series - Redesigned GUI for panel, TLS 1.3, enhanced security kit, NO hybrid developers, all are now simple dual component.

Regarding life cycle, with Kyocera's 3 year bumper to bumper warranty (to authorized dealers) the service costs are mainly fixed for that time based on PM cycle and volume. Beyond 3 years all parts are at cost so it becomes the typical gamble. Getting a payment that is competitive for the customer is the primary reason for a 5 year or longer lease.
    At 10 years you are looking at parts discontinuation but outside of that, it doesn't truly seem like 'expected life' ever figures into the length of the lease term.

There are still Kyocera machines preceeding all these in the field, the early BW models are pretty bullet proof.
    "Being ignorant is not so much a shame, as being unwilling to learn" - Benjamin Franklin

PW thanks for explaining that plainly. I' m not Kyo tech but tried to help a bit.
    Please keep us informed.
    A tree is known by its fruit, a man by his deeds. A good deed is never lost, he who sows courtesy, reaps friendship, and he who plants kindness gathers love.

Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PrintWhisperer View Post
    Current:
    '4' series - Redesigned GUI for panel, TLS 1.3, enhanced security kit, NO hybrid developers, all are now simple dual component

So the TASKalfa 4002i would be 4 Series?

I've searched for more information on line concerning Kyocera's induction fusing technology, but cannot find anything. Is there anything the tech-laymen can read?

So the TASKalfa 4002i would be 4 Series?
    LAST digit, so it's a '2' Series

I've searched for more information on line concerning Kyocera's induction fusing technology, but cannot find anything. Is there anything the tech-laymen can read?
    You won't find too much 'scientific' detail in a manufacturer's description of the technology. They focus on the benefits, which are faster warm-up, less energy, less materials to build and reliability.

All induction is based on Faraday's Laws of Electromagnetism: "
    Whenever a conductor is placed in a varying magnetic field, an electromotive force is induced."

So let me break that down:
    1) The conductor is the fuser heat roller, which is made of special nickel/iron composite which has a 'moderate resistance' to electrical flow.
    2) The varying magnetic field comes from the IH (Inductive Heat) coil, which is located outside the fuser roller
    3) This magnetic field is rapidly reversed, which excites the electrons in the fuser roller in a 'push-pull' fashion (electromotive force)
    4) The electron motion in the nickel/iron belt meets the resistance to this motion causing friction, and thus heat.

It's basically like rubbing your hands together, only at a molecular level. This heat is instantaneous and is generated inside the belt.

Traditional 'hot bulb' fusers must radiate their heat from the source (bulb) to the fuser roller. This takes more time and uses more power than necessary. Also these fuser rollers are heavier and retain more residual heat as wasted energy.

Physics was always my favorite class. I'll never forget seeing a magnet float in the air over a superconductor bathed in liquid nitrogen. There, the super conductor has no resistance to electron flow, and creates an opposing magnetic field which suspends the magnet. Freaking wild.
    "Being ignorant is not so much a shame, as being unwilling to learn" - Benjamin Franklin

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PrintWhisperer View Post

LAST digit, so it's a '2' Series

You won't find too much 'scientific' detail in a manufacturer's description of the technology. They focus on the benefits, which are faster warm-up, less energy, less materials to build and reliability.

All induction is based on Faraday's Laws of Electromagnetism: "
    Whenever a conductor is placed in a varying magnetic field, an electromotive force is induced."

So let me break that down:
    1) The conductor is the fuser heat roller, which is made of special nickel/iron composite which has a 'moderate resistance' to electrical flow.
    2) The varying magnetic field comes from the IH (Inductive Heat) coil, which is located outside the fuser roller
    3) This magnetic field is rapidly reversed, which excites the electrons in the fuser roller in a 'push-pull' fashion (electromotive force)
    4) The electron motion in the nickel/iron belt meets the resistance to this motion causing friction, and thus heat.

It's basically like rubbing your hands together, only at a molecular level. This heat is instantaneous and is generated inside the belt.

Traditional 'hot bulb' fusers must radiate their heat from the source (bulb) to the fuser roller. This takes more time and uses more power than necessary. Also these fuser rollers are heavier and retain more residual heat as wasted energy.

Physics was always my favorite class. I'll never forget seeing a magnet float in the air over a superconductor bathed in liquid nitrogen. There, the super conductor has no resistance to electron flow, and creates an opposing magnetic field which suspends the magnet. Freaking wild.
    I enjoyed reading about the new fuser technology. Do you know if any other manufacturer uses the same technology?
    Growth is found only in adversity.

Quote Originally Posted by BillyCarpenter View Post
    I enjoyed reading about the new fuser technology. Do you know if any other manufacturer uses the same technology?
    Of course Kyo isn't invented hot water.
    Toshiba had it 15-20 years before another major manufacturers I guess also.
    However this is not cutting edge now as many of modern machines still use heating elements.

Yep, Kyocera created their own after OEM’ing a Toshiba under their name. Miserable machine, took 2 generations of Kyo before they abandoned that ‘circus belt’ fuser for a simple tube design.

The Japanese do partnerships a lot in this way.