Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Technician

Showing Jam But No Paper

c451 has the O showing jam on the right side (the O is showing up on the screen between the lower front door and upper front door). The sensor by the paper dust collector is clean and working in test mode, the sensor on the door is also working properly. The only "sensor" showing up as a 1 in the jam screen is the OHP detection, but not sure if that's usually a 1 or not. Does anyone have any ideas which sensor could be causing this jam indication?

Senior Tech 250+ Posts davidmtupper's Avatar

Re: Showing Jam But No Paper

Is it showing the paper as late getting to the sensor? If so check the paper feed.

Technician

Quote Originally Posted by davidmtupper View Post
    Is it showing the paper as late getting to the sensor? If so check the paper feed.
    It just shows the jam but nothing there

Technician

turn on Jam Code Display Setting and look at the code

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts femaster's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CopyTech03 View Post
    It just shows the jam but nothing there
    Jam codes would really help here. Below is all guesses because too much information is missing without the jam code.

If it is a jam that won't clear at all, and you've tested the sensors as good, try to reboot. Those older machine, for whatever reason, sometimes get stuck in a jam state if they have been sitting with the jam for a length of time.

If it clears, but comes back after it tries to feed again, then it's likely the paper is not making it out of tray, so check the feed unit in whatever tray it's feeding out of.
    A Ricoh Service Tech for 7 year. A Konica Minolta Service Tech for 7 years. Now, KM service manager for 3 years.
    My Ricoh knowledge is slowly dwindling away at this point. Many things have been lost to time...

Technician

Quote Originally Posted by femaster View Post
    Jam codes would really help here. Below is all guesses because too much information is missing without the jam code.

If it is a jam that won't clear at all, and you've tested the sensors as good, try to reboot. Those older machine, for whatever reason, sometimes get stuck in a jam state if they have been sitting with the jam for a length of time.

If it clears, but comes back after it tries to feed again, then it's likely the paper is not making it out of tray, so check the feed unit in whatever tray it's feeding out of.
    The last jam it had was a 1001 (bypass jam), but it was cleared and now still shows a jam in the middle or upper part of the machine/side door. The power has been turned off/on a few times bat never clears the jam indication.

Certified Konica Expert 2,500+ Posts
    Showing Jam But No Paper

IIRC that model has the paper dust guide below the steel reg roller.
    Dust will accumulate on it. Remove and clean throughly with an air can.
    If it thinks there is paper there (just dust) it will throw a false jam code.
    That's if it shows the jam at power on.
    If it happens when making a copy/print it's probably just worn rollers or one way clutch bearing slipping as no paper can leave the tray resulting in an 1101/2/3/4 jam depending on the tray selected.

Good luck.

Edit... you responded while I was typing.
    It's prolly paperdust like I said above.
    We know a thing or two because we've seen a thing or two.
    Also don't ask me for files without a contributor badge.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    Showing Jam But No Paper

Quote Originally Posted by Synthohol View Post
    IIRC that model has the paper dust guide below the steel reg roller.
    Dust will accumulate on it. Remove and clean throughly with an air can.
    If it thinks there is paper there (just dust) it will throw a false jam code.
    That's if it shows the jam at power on.
    If it happens when making a copy/print it's probably just worn rollers or one way clutch bearing slipping as no paper can leave the tray resulting in an 1101/2/3/4 jam depending on the tray selected.

Good luck.

Edit... you responded while I was typing.
    It's prolly paperdust like I said above.
    +1 to this. It's right below the image transfer roller on the door side. It's held in place with a plastic clip on one side, and 2 prongs on the other side. Could you take a picture of the screen or go into service mode and pull up the jam history?

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

The last jam it had was a 1001 (bypass jam), but it was cleared and now still shows a jam in the middle or upper part of the machine/side door. The power has been turned off/on a few times bat never clears the jam indication.
    You cycled the power but did you open the doors indicated ?

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts femaster's Avatar

While you are in there checking the sensor under the reg rollers like other have suggested, I have another thought that and I hate to even bring up this with a machine of this age. Have you checked the sensor flag located on the metal shelf under the fuser? That assembly gets baked to death by the fuser and starts to stick. It also gets extremely brittle and breaks very easily. You need to remove the fuser in order to see it, but be warned, at this machines age, brittle might be an understatement...

I tried to find a picture for guidance, but I can't find a good one in the service manual, and I can't find the sensor flag in the parts book at all. I must blind. Maybe someone else might have better luck locating it.
    Last edited by femaster; 07-22-2022 at 09:13 PM.
    A Ricoh Service Tech for 7 year. A Konica Minolta Service Tech for 7 years. Now, KM service manager for 3 years.
    My Ricoh knowledge is slowly dwindling away at this point. Many things have been lost to time...