Technician

Question Trouble setting up GlobalScan NX

I've been trying to set up GlobalScan NX on my Ricoh Aficio 4002 SP for the last week or so, but to no avail.
    Device has the latest firmware version and I got the latest version of the Serverless app installed on my PC (Windows 10 64x).
    also installed the embedded version (which was included in the zip) on the MFP.
    I keep getting an error trying to add the device in the AdminTool, saying "Failed to obtain device information." (Screenshot below).

I'm sure about the ip address as the other apps can communicate with it using exactly the same ip.
    I'm guessing the problem is caused by the embedded installation (as it doesn't seem to run despite been set to auto-start); also it shows an error (Error Code:J522) when I try to manually run it (ss below).

Is it possible that it has an activation step too? if so, how can I do that?

Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar

Re: Trouble setting up GlobalScan NX

Quote Originally Posted by Ewindar View Post
    I've been trying to set up GlobalScan NX on my Ricoh Aficio 4002 SP for the last week or so, but to no avail.
    Device has the latest firmware version and I got the latest version of the Serverless app installed on my PC (Windows 10 64x).
    also installed the embedded version (which was included in the zip) on the MFP.
    I keep getting an error trying to add the device in the AdminTool, saying "Failed to obtain device information." (Screenshot below).

I'm sure about the ip address as the other apps can communicate with it using exactly the same ip.
    I'm guessing the problem is caused by the embedded installation (as it doesn't seem to run despite been set to auto-start); also it shows an error (Error Code:J522) when I try to manually run it (ss below).

Is it possible that it has an activation step too? if so, how can I do that?
    Yes, that is the reason.

Do you have an activation key for the MP 4002?

Once activated, the error code should disappear and the application will start.

The application is not free, in case you’re thinking it is.
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

Technician

Thank u for the reply KenB

It has two editions (Server edition and the Serverless edition) and it seems only the former needs activation, according to the manual included in the app's zip file when downloading:
    http://support.ricoh.com/html_gen/util/GS/GS_RE.html
    It's mentioned in Page 33 of the Installation Guide:
    01.jpg

as you can see, the serverless version doesn't need activation.
    Actually at first, I installed the Server edition and it didn't even open (showing activation error), but since switching to the Serverless one, it opens and I can work with all of its options, except I can't add the device.
    On the other hand, it seems the MFP Software (the embedded version) needs activation (according to page 55 of the Installation guide):
    02.jpg

but unfortunately, the link (onlineactivation.net) doesn't open (the website seems to be down).
    Even if I had a product key (I got none!), it was of no use.

Is there any other way, I have seen mentions of a software called Remote Software Manager (or Remote Manager or RIM for short) in other posts.
    If that's for activation, can you please give me a link to download? (couldn't find it anywhere on the internet).

I bought this device from a reseller, don't know the original owner and don't have access to Ricoh's support.
    I'm really hopeless now really appreciate any tip.

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    Trouble setting up GlobalScan NX

Thank u for the reply KenB

It has two editions (Server edition and the Serverless edition) and it seems only the former needs activation, according to the manual included in the app's zip file when downloading:
    GlobalScan NX | Support & Downloads | Global | Ricoh
    It's mentioned in Page 33 of the Installation Guide:
    01.jpg

as you can see, the serverless version doesn't need activation.
    Actually at first, I installed the Server edition and it didn't even open (showing activation error), but since switching to the Serverless one, it opens and I can work with all of its options, except I can't add the device.
    On the other hand, it seems the MFP Software (the embedded version) needs activation (according to page 55 of the Installation guide):
    02.jpg

but unfortunately, the link (onlineactivation.net) doesn't open (the website seems to be down).
    Even if I had a product key (I got none!), it was of no use.

Is there any other way, I have seen mentions of a software called Remote Software Manager (or Remote Manager or RIM for short) in other posts.
    If that's for activation, can you please give me a link to download? (couldn't find it anywhere on the internet).

I bought this device from a reseller, don't know the original owner and don't have access to Ricoh's support.
    I'm really hopeless now really appreciate any tip.
    Global Scan NX has been replaced by Ricoh Streamline NX which is not available for older models like the MP 4002.

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    Global Scan NX has been replaced by Ricoh Streamline NX which is not available for older models like the MP 4002.
    I know that it’s been replaced by SLNX, but I’m not sure about the support status for already existing instances.

A few years ago, I did about 5 or 6 GSNX Server and Serverless installs that were being used as a front end (with a connector) to get paper docs into Document Mall, or its successor RCM. (Both of which are now completely extinct.)

I’m pretty sure that the MP 4002 is supported by SLNX, (provided it has Java), but I will verify tomorrow.
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts
    Trouble setting up GlobalScan NX

May I ask Why?
    I have ZERO experience with GlobalScan, but I'm guessing that if you purchased this old machine, then you're not in need of the latest technology or capability, and what you're actually doing, is just trying to setup scanning to folder, and this software is entirely unnecessary for that.

Maybe I'm wrong....if so, my apologies

I just verified.

A few things:

• The MP 4002 is still compatible with SLNX, provided both firmware (and Java) are up to date.
    • GSNX is near end-of-life, but not yet. In fact, the latest version was just released last week. It is being replaced by SLNX, as Slimslob said.
    • The J522 error (the "J" stands for "Java", btw) is a result of the software not being activated, which requires a code (25 digits). The app (Serverless) opens on the PC because the licenses live on the MFPs; the PC only serves to manage the app. In theory, it could be removed once the MFPs are set up when running Serverless. It errors if not licensed when running the Server version (as one would expect).
    • The RIM tool is required to activate the app and install it on the MFP, and is only avaialble to authorized dealers on the service site, either from TSRC or RFG eSource; same file.
    • GSNX offers much more flexibilty than onboard scanning in that workflows can be created; it's much more than a simple scan to folder or email solution. (The Server based version adds OCR, among other things).
    • Lastly, GSNX is NOT a free application!

From the support site:

Activation Note:
    Product keys are needed to activate the following GlobalScan NX software components prior to use.
    Last edited by KenB; 08-15-2022 at 09:59 PM. Reason: Additional info