Technician

Tipping the copier guy

Ever get tipped by your customers? I'm not talking about an seasonal giftcard or free access to the cookies, doughnuts, and coffee. Maybe the tip was less than appropriate or just plain wrong. Maybe it was unexpected or even a blessing. Let's hear yours.

I had a customer in the late 90s that took their business on the road every weekend. Everything had to be ready to fly on Thursday morning. If the machine went down on Wednesday afternoon, he'd say "There's a fifty for you if you can get it running by four." I always did, too. I also got a pair of NBA tickets from a long-term customer once. They still go to the top of the list. But for the most part, tipping has been the exception in my overly long career. Last week I solved a user caused problem at an assisted living facility. The boss lady gave me a plastic cup with the outfits name on it. The kind new residents get upon move in. "Oh. Thank you." (WTF! I know I'm way older than her, but not THAT old) I have one other tip scenario. April 15th at a small CPA firm. I killed it to get them fixed in record time. As I'm leaving the CPA says, "hey, I've got something for you." I look around his office and see row after row of unopened bourbon bottles. I'm thinking, this is gonna be good! Then he hands me a box of crock pot/slow cooker liners. "Ever use a slow cooker? You'll love 'em." And away he strolls. His employees were super embarrassed. I just laughed. I have clearly gotten better mileage out of this story than the CPA!

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    Tipping the copier guy

Re: Tipping the copier guy

Great story!

Twice in 15 years. One was a chargeable home office account. The other was a small title company owned by a few 30 year old dudes. Pretty sure both were 20 bucks.

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    Tipping the copier guy

Re: Tipping the copier guy

Lets see:

I was the site dedicated tech for this larger company, and became friends with one of the maintenance men. He was handy to know since he had access to keys almost anytime. Two weeks before Thanksgiving (many years ago) he asked to borrow my car keys. I handed them over, thinking "that's odd ...". When I got back to the car there were three Butterball turkeys in my trunk. Happy Thanksgiving right back at ya!

I attempted to fix an sub-something ink based printer a while back. I told him up-front that I probably wasn't going to be able to fix it, but he insisted. He printed clock faces onto self-adhesive vinyl for one-of-a-kind clocks. As I figured I couldn't help, but he gave me one of his cool clocks anyway:

clock.jpg

If you like the design, I can pass along his info. Can you imagine why I chose this one? =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=