Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    MP2851 toner leak

MP2851 toner leak

Small amount of toner leaking down on to slit glass. Replaced pcu(oem) and toner tray(new). Using oem toner, bottle looks good. The opening for the toner tray and pcu seem to line up and it appears it is operating properly to allow toner to pass into pcu. Thanks.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts
    MP2851 toner leak

Re: MP2851 toner leak

This has been the same since the 1022 series. You did the right thing, change OEM PCU and toner tray and only use OEM toner. Sometimes that fixes it and sometimes no.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    MP2851 toner leak

Thanks, yeah some do and some don't, no rhyme or reason. Didn't know if maybe someone had a field fix for this.

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    MP2851 toner leak

Old Crow, either some one else is using your account, your talking to yourself, or there is a problem with the website as the first three posts to the thread show as being from you.

Now to the problem, what I have observed is that for some reason toner is fed out of the bottle faster than it can enter the PCU. This results in toner leaking out around the neck of the bottle into the tray from where the bottle pushes it out as it turns and the toner falls onto the shield glass. Sometimes it is the results of the Mylar tabs that help push the toner out to the drop slot being bad. Sometimes it is the result of toner clumps in after market toner clogging the toner drop slot.

The problem evens goes back to the Aficio 220/270. Same toner tray as the 1022/1027.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    MP2851 toner leak

Well I do talk to myself sometimes but not sure what you mean Slimslob. I see sequence of Old Crow, copyaction, Old Crow then slimslob.

Anyway, I didn't think of the fact that it may be just too much toner feeding. Copies are not overtoned but that makes sense. I believe the amount of toner that is added can be adjusted? I will look in the manual!!

Thanks for the replies.

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    MP2851 toner leak

Quote Originally Posted by Old Crow View Post
    Well I do talk to myself sometimes but not sure what you mean Slimslob. I see sequence of Old Crow, copyaction, Old Crow then slimslob.

Anyway, I didn't think of the fact that it may be just too much toner feeding. Copies are not overtoned but that makes sense. I believe the amount of toner that is added can be adjusted? I will look in the manual!!

Thanks for the replies.
    It is more a matter of the spiral in the bottle moving toner into the toner tray faster than it can be pushed out through slot to the toner drop. Occasional vacuuming of the hopper portion of the toner tray to prevent build up. And of course using OEM toner. And I have seen high humidity cause toner to cake up in the toner drop area of the toner tray and the PCU.

Technician

There is another place that these pcu's leak that is sometimes tricky to pinpoint if you have not seen the issue before.
    Although it looks like they may be leaking from the hopper to pcu entrance (and I have seen them with missing seals right out of the box before ),
    sometimes they leak just under that area which is between the upper half of the pcu and the developer unit.
    Some pcu's have a tab that is supposed to hold that tight together and some have a screw right there. It doesnt take much but if there isnt enough (squish) there to hold the seal tight together it will leak and it looks just like when the hopper to pcu leaks.
    It would be worth a look.