Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Re: What were your favorite toys?

no contest it's Exin Castillos.
    they were like legos for building castles. They came with small figurines of sentries, ghosts and witches (do witches live in castles??) There were shields and torches you could mount into the walls.
    my parents ended up buying four different sets. I built hundreds of these castles and made detailed blueprints of my favorite designs.

I still have them and build castles with my kids now. Apparently I'm not the only castillo enthusiast around -- these sell on Ebay still, usually for more than a dollar per piece!

Aging Tech 10,000+ Posts
    What were your favorite toys?

Quote Originally Posted by subaro View Post
    Someone in the family would get board games like LUDO,SNAKE AND LADDER AND MONOPOLY. When we go over to visit family [and this was huge ] those times use to be real fun as mums,dads, uncle and aunts could have all played with the role of the dice and move up the results places. A single game for family fun. i wonder if that still exits today as with the electronic gifts nowadays.
    I used to love Snakes and Ladders when I was a kid.(long time ago now)

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Mattel Strange Change Machine. They could NEVER make this today. It was a little domed oven that came with plastic blocks that were actually compressed monters. You put the block in and heated it up to soften it, then pulled it apart to play with the monster. Then, you heated it up again and put it in an attached crank vice to compress it back to a block. I still have one and it still works.

Super Tech 500+ Posts CompyTech's Avatar

Had some good ones growing up from model trains to Legos, to Super Soakers and Nerf Guns, to SNES to Playstation(even though I don't consider these "toys"). How about some weird toys? A friend of mine had Creepy Crawlers bug maker.. Remember the movie Terminator 2? They had toys: and I had this and it was nasty.. It got thrown away after two uses.

Ah the days when toys from adult movies and tv shows were marketed to kids.. No wonder we're messed up today. haha

Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CompyTech View Post

Ah the days when toys from adult movies and tv shows were marketed to kids.. No wonder we're messed up today. haha
    Somehow, "toys from adult movies" conjures up a totally different image...
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Lagonda View Post
    The best Christmas presents I ever got were a Meccano set,

Attachment 31541

And a Philip Junior Electronics set,

Attachment 31542

I played with them happily for hours until one day when I made the fatal mistake of combining them both together and and for penance had to spent the rest of my life fixing photocopiers!
    So basically I blame my parents for my failure to ever get a proper job and make something of myself.

You are right in the same shoes as I was

but I used to play with this:Products | MERKURTOYS s. r. o.

LEGO - no chance in our country (only prominent kids may have had a chance to source some from the West oncle or auntie
    .OK Google! ... will I need Berrocca this morning?
    Firmwares HERE

..but I'll never forget one Christmas when I sniffed out where mum & dad have hidden xmas presents and played with one toy, that I really wanted which was a Tatra Trailer truck on a cabled remote for a good 3 weeks before Christmas eve......then when the day of Christmas came ..I was so over the moon to run to the Christmas tree and was ripping through boxes to find ..there was no truck... never felt so disappointed as a kid in my whole life. My pride did not allow me to ask where the truck is, as my parents surely figured out, that I was a naughty boy and did not deserve a surprise as I already played with it. This was a lesson for life. Since then I never tried to even think what I get or not get for Christmas. Just be happy with what you have as some things that you take for granted may not be there even when you really wish to have them.

And on that note my friends

Have a wonderful, peaceful and thankful Christmas time with the ones closest to your hearts, as that is the only thing that really matters.
    .OK Google! ... will I need Berrocca this morning?
    Firmwares HERE

Not a service manager 2,500+ Posts Iowatech's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Exok View Post
    Heh, first time I saw one of those I was too big to ride it. Snapped the front wheel clean off.

When I was young I always lusted after a Mamod Steam Engine but they were way to expensive for my parents. I had to wait until I had a son so I could give one to him for his 10th birthday even then the price was a bit of a strain on the wallet. Thirty years on and it still has pride of place in his home office and granddaughter enjoys getting up a good head of steam as well.

Mamod.jpg
    At least 50% of IT is a solution looking for a problem.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts Exok's Avatar