Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Re: Repair Guy Uses Tons of Paper

Lost a casio watch inside an old analog.....
    Great to work on only contracted machines. Billable calls have a way to bit you in the funny bits.
    Whatever

Senior Tech 250+ Posts
    Repair Guy Uses Tons of Paper

Quote Originally Posted by JR2ALTA View Post
    This all seems innocuous but having CUSTOMERS use this site to rat on us or shame us is a slippery slope. I advise this thread be removed.
    The end-user asked a legitimate question, no names were mentioned, no one was thrown under the bus, they were looking for advice about an ongoing service issue , the real problem is that they had to come here to do it. I've been in the Service/Business Management side of this industry for a long time and this is most likely an issue created by the servicing dealer, I'm not talking about the jamming copier issue I'm talking about the "we're going to lose this customer because" issue. There's always a chance the end-user who posted is completely out of the loop but that's probably not the case.

1. Why isn't the onsite technician communicating with the end-user, it's obviously not a basic jamming issue? The most important thing a technician can do is talk to the customer. Techs should talk to users before they even touch the machine to get the full story of any issues the user is having. I can't tell you how many times an end-user calls in for a jamming document feeder but on the 2nd or 3rd visit the tech figures out that what an end-user calls a document feeder is actually an MP tray and the tech has been fixing the wrong part of the machine for the past three weeks. Talk to the customer BEFORE and AFTER every call, and also ask the people walking by and saying hello to you "hey, how's the machine been working for you". Call-backs will happen but many of them are easily avoided by talking to your customers. If the tech and end-user in this instance had reasonable communication they would know the customer was concerned about paper and service copies and the tech could get with their manager to get some relief to the customer. having your delivery guy or tech drop off a half case of paper makes a customer super happy, makes the tech look like a hero, and is a lot cheaper then acquiring a new customer.

2. Where the fuck is the service manager on this? If there is a machine with any amount of excess service or off the wall issues the service manager should be on the phone making sure everyone is on the same page and making sure the service department knows the whole story. I made two "excessive service" phone calls this morning, the customers are usually happy to hear from me and it reassures them that my service department cares and takes the time to check in and make sure everything is OK. There's no reason it should get so bad that an end-user needs to come find this site. The dealer is probably going to lose this customer when the lease rolls around.

That was my $0.02000 worth, notice the 5 decimal places, if we're lucky we make some money in the 3rd decimal position but usually it's in the 4th & 5th, better communication gets us more of that 3rd decimal money.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ctl-Alt-Del View Post
    The end-user asked a legitimate question, no names were mentioned, no one was thrown under the bus, they were looking for advice about an ongoing service issue , the real problem is that they had to come here to do it. I've been in the Service/Business Management side of this industry for a long time and this is most likely an issue created by the servicing dealer, I'm not talking about the jamming copier issue I'm talking about the "we're going to lose this customer because" issue. There's always a chance the end-user who posted is completely out of the loop but that's probably not the case.
    I said it was innocuous but there's a reason we don't encourage non-technicians on this site. We discuss service modes, passwords, we talk openly about manufactures shortcomings, we joke about customers.

Her tech was obviously a buffoon but next customer will say "hey my machine said to replace the drum and I watched my technician just replace a chip" next thing you know a company is getting sued.

Senior Tech. 2,500+ Posts NeoMatrix's Avatar

sniff...sniff... smells like a net BOT post.........

Okay, I'll bite, I'll help fill up CTN with useless bandwidth.

No Tech would run that amount of copies per week with out further assisting the customer to print out "useful" original content on behalf of the customer. Any Tech worth their salt would ask the customer what do you want multiple printed, eg. blank logs,time sheets,monthly stats,progress sheets, etc,etc..?

The only reason the Tech would need to do a high volume multiple run is to check CQ, otherwise they would run blank copies.

Someone is playing games to peeve someone off...
    Inauguration to the "AI cancel-culture" fraternity 1997...
    •••••• •••[§]• |N | € | o | M | Δ | t | π | ¡ | x | •[§]••• ••••••

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

I bet the guy has been told its jamming and no one has bothered to tell the guy the issue so he's had no choice but to run boat loads off to try and identify the problem.

Or he's been called out over and over so he's trying to prove a point.

I'm a call engineer and the first thing I do is find who put the call in to get the whole story then go straight into the logs to make sure the story fits...

Could be a very poor company thats give the guy no training so he can't electronically troubleshoot so if the customer doesn't really have a good relationship with the engineer you get situations like this.

If I was the customer I'd actually talk to the engineer with out threatening to lose the guy his job and get the real story. Most of the time it's usually service manager trying to save money and the customer won't replace the machine so this poor guy is in the middle trying to do his best to keep it working but defo more to this story please post when you have more info .

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

We have had customers on very low click litterally call us out constantly for anything as they thought in the end they would get a new machine... They would snap bits off say there's jams but there wasnt any so we had to do exercises like this was very frustrating.

In the end I think they snapped a part out the machine and we cancelled the contract. We took it on from another company half way through the contract we thought initially we where doing them a favour but they burned us.

Engineers are intelligent people mostly treat us with respect and you'll be very well looked after as we are often over looked by everyone.

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts

Agree with fish, the most important thing a tech can do is "interview" the customer about the issue when first getting to call.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts Ropariva's Avatar

Hahaha...I had to run 35k prints through a clients machine once to try and make a tr belt fail that had shredded three times in 10k, but normally would put 10-100 pages thru maximum.

bbsearchlight

Quote Originally Posted by JDYAL View Post
    O.K so there's always reasons for people doing things so lets look at a couple things. 1. What type of machine do you have. 2. What type of issues are you having that he comes out once a week. 3. What type of volume are you running on your machine (how many prints per day). With a little info maybe we can help you figure out why he runs this amount of prints. It does seem excessive but there must be a reason.
    Okay, so here is a little more insight. The machine is a Ricoh 8120S, yes it is a high volume machine doing stapling and hole punching with copying. The machine is used in a school with about 180 staff members, although there are a number of other smaller copy machines in the school (I am trying to say while this machine is used a lot, it is not the only copy machine). The repair person seems to be there once a week because the machine constantly gets functional errors which can't be fixed by the user. The last 2 times the repair guy has been here it is because the stapler wasn't working properly. The first time he came to fix the stapler, he ran through 1 full case of paper and the second time he ran through 7 reams.

As far as why no one confronts the repair guy about this, because in most people don't care because this is a public school and it is the public's money being wasted. I just wanted to make sure that this is not normal before I make an issue with the school district office on this.

Thank you for all your answers.

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts

Thanks for adding that. I do have to start by saying copiers in schools are one of technicians worst calls. Mostly because of the amount of "hands" in the machine. On a production model like you describe there should be a "key operator" that is only one allowed to perform tasks such as removing jams, adding toner & paper, etc.

I'm not familiar with that model but if newer than 3 yrs old, still under lease, etc I would ask for a new machine, if in fact the problems are internal function errors, etc and not caused by end users.

At least tell the technician if he is going to run excessive amounts of paper that you have forms you prefer he uses as test sheets. Much better than him cutting a tree down for nothing every service call.