Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Former KM Senior Tech 500+ Posts srvctec's Avatar

C224e Print Quality Issues (Problem & Solution)

A co-worker (larweedad on here) had a call on a C224e with light prints on the side of the page nearest the rear of the machine. All 4 colors were identical with the symptom. He changed the belt and transfer roller which made no difference. Also changed the interior side door that holds the secondary transfer roller- also made no difference. The last thing that was swapped was the high voltage board which also made no difference. The test print of halftone set to 150 density was stopped mid cycle that showed the lighter image towards the rear of the drum, even before the image was transferred to the belt. This means the laser unit had to be the issue.

We took apart the unit (totally shocked it isn't hermetically sealed) and cleaned the very dusty inside using cotton swabs and alcohol on all the mirrors and PH windows, inside and out. Put it all back together and it still had the same issue. Then I had an epiphany. What if the mirrors on the polygon motor had dust on the trail edge? Wouldn't that cause the issue since one pass of the mirror makes one line on the page?

We took apart the PH unit again and removed the access cover over the polygon motor and cleaned all 7 mirrors. That was the issue!! Why in the heck these PH units aren't hermetically sealed is beyond me. BUT, if we ever see these symptoms again, we'll know exactly what the issue is.

Attached are the scanned pages before and after (all at 100 density in service mode) as well as a photo of one of the very dirty polygon mirror faces.

Light on Rear of C224e Prints.pdf

After Cleaning PH Unit Inside & Polygon Mirrors.pdf

Started in the copier service business in the fall of 1988 and worked at the same company for 33.5 years, becoming the senior tech in 2004 but left to pursue another career on 4/29/22.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

Re: C224e Print Quality Issues (Problem & Solution)

Yes,this is problem on this machines and every machine i have seen with 150k or over 2 years old have this problem more or less.
    First time i also clean mirors without result and then discover poligon motor mirror is dirty on edge like on your photo.

Former KM Senior Tech 500+ Posts srvctec's Avatar

We've got some in the field with ~1 million count and they don't have this issue. This machine is located in an extremely dirty environment. Most of our machines are in office environments and apparently don't get nearly as much dust inside the PH unit to cause this issue. This is the first time we've had this issue on any machine.
    Started in the copier service business in the fall of 1988 and worked at the same company for 33.5 years, becoming the senior tech in 2004 but left to pursue another career on 4/29/22.

SanDiegoCopierRepair.com 1,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by srvctec View Post
    We've got some in the field with ~1 million count and they don't have this issue. This machine is located in an extremely dirty environment. Most of our machines are in office environments and apparently don't get nearly as much dust inside the PH unit to cause this issue. This is the first time we've had this issue on any machine.
    Have only had that issue on 2 machines .... both also were in dirty environments. You would think those PH units would have been made with seals that would at least keep the dust out of the unit. Nothing is made like it used to be.................

Not bad machines overall though. The most frustrating issue on this C224/C284/C364 series seems to be the 32-01 code paper jams on 2-sided/duplex copies. Other than that----pretty solid machines.
    Anything can be made to work if you fiddle with it long enough- San Diego Copier Repair.com

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts tsbservice's Avatar

This is exactly what I had to do few times on different machines from various brands.
    I must admit, never on KonMin, but your warning is well taken.
    I have same machine with over 1.5 million counter in VERY dusty environment and it prints OK.
    I think it all depends on specific micro climate conditions and for our good it's not as bad as looks.
    A tree is known by its fruit, a man by his deeds. A good deed is never lost, he who sows courtesy, reaps friendship, and he who plants kindness gathers love.

Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused.

I don't reply to private messages from end users.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

I know this problem only from Brother printers.
    Had never seen this on a KM.

Thank you for sharing.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by srvctec View Post
    A co-worker (larweedad on here) had a call on a C224e with light prints on the side of the page nearest the rear of the machine. All 4 colors were identical with the symptom. He changed the belt and transfer roller which made no difference. Also changed the interior side door that holds the secondary transfer roller- also made no difference. The last thing that was swapped was the high voltage board which also made no difference. The test print of halftone set to 150 density was stopped mid cycle that showed the lighter image towards the rear of the drum, even before the image was transferred to the belt. This means the laser unit had to be the issue.

We took apart the unit (totally shocked it isn't hermetically sealed) and cleaned the very dusty inside using cotton swabs and alcohol on all the mirrors and PH windows, inside and out. Put it all back together and it still had the same issue. Then I had an epiphany. What if the mirrors on the polygon motor had dust on the trail edge? Wouldn't that cause the issue since one pass of the mirror makes one line on the page?

We took apart the PH unit again and removed the access cover over the polygon motor and cleaned all 7 mirrors. That was the issue!! Why in the heck these PH units aren't hermetically sealed is beyond me. BUT, if we ever see these symptoms again, we'll know exactly what the issue is.

Attached are the scanned pages before and after (all at 100 density in service mode) as well as a photo of one of the very dirty polygon mirror faces.

Light on Rear of C224e Prints.pdf

After Cleaning PH Unit Inside & Polygon Mirrors.pdf

Thanks a lot for share

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts

Great post, I have a few machines out that have faint prints exactly like your samples, even thought they have had new IU & Dev fitted. These clients mainly print txt so don't notice but i'll whip out & clean the printhead mirrors next time I see this!.

Let us eat, drink, and be merry, because tomorrow we may die!

For all your firmware & service manual needs please visit us at:

www.copierfirmware.co.uk - www.printerfirmware.co.uk

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts Gift's Avatar

Wow that's pretty much dirt - back then when I was forced to repair Ricohs famous Aficio 1224C cleaning polygon motor was kind of a daily task because there was not much of a sealing

I've evaluated many C224e/C308 returns for refurbishing purposes but usually C/M/Y/K full page half tone patterns with ~70/255 density are looking fine and even.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by blazebusiness View Post
    Have only had that issue on 2 machines .... both also were in dirty environments. You would think those PH units would have been made with seals that would at least keep the dust out of the unit. Nothing is made like it used to be.................

Not bad machines overall though. The most frustrating issue on this C224/C284/C364 series seems to be the 32-01 code paper jams on 2-sided/duplex copies. Other than that----pretty solid machines.
    This jamming problem can be solved by putting a spacer (we use the edge of a credit card) between the duplex solenoid and the frame. There is a known issue with the duplex gate opening too far and causing issues on this model.
    OC