Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Field Supervisor 500+ Posts Geo's Avatar

FS-2100DN network question

Hi All

Hooked up a FS-2100DN to a network with DHCP turned on and after restart the Ipv4 network information populated . Printing out a status page shows all three addresses. Now to me this is the strange part... When I Turn off DHCP and then enter in the 3 pulled values and restart the network , the Default gateway comes up on the Stat page as not defined on the status page. The IP and Sub are given.
    With DHCP on , I can ping and print, but with DHCP turned off,no ping or printing.

This is just a small office using a Comcast router with just a small 5 port switch. Not sure if this is relevant.

So given that IPv4 values are entered and stored in the printer , why isn't the Default coming up even with an active network connection??

Any thoughts

Thanks for the help.

Re: FS-2100DN network question

web in and re enter the network settings

Quote Originally Posted by bsm2 View Post
    web in and re enter the network settings
    Thanks ....will try this next week, but do you have any thoughts why the Default is coming up as not defined given that the values are internal?

Thanks for your help.....

Cheers..

Senior Tech 250+ Posts Ropariva's Avatar

How’s the firmware?

Quote Originally Posted by Geo View Post
    Thanks ....will try this next week, but do you have any thoughts why the Default is coming up as not defined given that the values are internal?

Thanks for your help.....

Cheers..

Designed in Japan, Built in China, Tested in USA

Quote Originally Posted by Ropariva View Post
    How’s the firmware?
    Current and yes the full version was reloaded..

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Geo View Post
    Hi All

Hooked up a FS-2100DN to a network with DHCP turned on and after restart the Ipv4 network information populated . Printing out a status page shows all three addresses. Now to me this is the strange part... When I Turn off DHCP and then enter in the 3 pulled values and restart the network , the Default gateway comes up on the Stat page as not defined on the status page. The IP and Sub are given.
    With DHCP on , I can ping and print, but with DHCP turned off,no ping or printing.

This is just a small office using a Comcast router with just a small 5 port switch. Not sure if this is relevant.

So given that IPv4 values are entered and stored in the printer , why isn't the Default coming up even with an active network connection??

Any thoughts

Thanks for the help.
    For what purpose are you turning off DHCP and entering the network info manually? In a small office it would be wise to just have DHCP turned on in the FS-2100 and let it pull the network info from the Comcast router. When you set up the network info manually did you restart the Comcast router and make a DHCP reservation for the printer? Since the printer has already pulled an IP address from DHCP [when set to use it] the IP address is registered in DHCP as in use and is not recognizing the manual settings as the lease for that IP address has not expired. If you want to use a designated IP address for the printer make a reservation in the comcast dhcp server for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Santander View Post
    For what purpose are you turning off DHCP and entering the network info manually? In a small office it would be wise to just have DHCP turned on in the FS-2100 and let it pull the network info from the Comcast router. When you set up the network info manually did you restart the Comcast router and make a DHCP reservation for the printer? Since the printer has already pulled an IP address from DHCP [when set to use it] the IP address is registered in DHCP as in use and is not recognizing the manual settings as the lease for that IP address has not expired. If you want to use a designated IP address for the printer make a reservation in the comcast dhcp server for it.

Setting up a DHCP reservation by a MAC address is usually beyond your scope of work and not recommend as it would require login into there router and making changes. If there IT would like to do it fine. However I have found very few except Enterprise size companys that will make a reservation for the printer and that is always done by there IT.
    Last edited by bsm2; 08-10-2019 at 02:42 AM.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bsm2 View Post
    Setting up a DHCP reservation by a MAC address is usually beyond your scope of work and not recommend as it would require login into there router and making changes. If there IT would like to do it fine. However I have found very few except Enterprise size companys that will make a reservation for the printer and that is always done by there IT.
    Then I go back to my original question of why you are trying to setup the printer with a static IP address? It does not make sense that you want to set a static IP but not make a reservation in DHCP. What am I missing here? Setting the printer to a static IP without making a registration in DHCP will eventually result in the printer's IP being assigned to a computer in the network after a power failure which will result in a loss of printing for all users. If you want a static IP for the printer it is not beyond your scope of work and IS recommended!

Quote Originally Posted by Santander View Post
    Then I go back to my original question of why you are trying to setup the printer with a static IP address? It does not make sense that you want to set a static IP but not make a reservation in DHCP. What am I missing here? Setting the printer to a static IP without making a registration in DHCP will eventually result in the printer's IP being assigned to a computer in the network after a power failure which will result in a loss of printing for all users. If you want a static IP for the printer it is not beyond your scope of work and IS recommended!
    Setting a static ipaddress for printers is basic networking 101, However setting a reservation IS NOT within YOUR scope of work.
    You would ask if they had IT to give you a static ipaddress or if it's a small company you would add 50 to 100 to there ipaddress as to NOT have a problem pulling a ipaddress set to there PC range. If your company lets you make ip reservations on customers networks good for you, hope your company has good attorneys and there router never fails.