[MP 3351] Tray 1 detects as empty if <5 sheets; Paper Misfeed (A) error if <15 sheets

1. If Tray 1 is pushed closed with 5 sheets or less, it detects as empty.
    2. If Tray 1 has 15 or fewer sheets left, it produces a "Paper Misfeed" error at point (A). The tray doesn't pull out even just a tiny bit of the paper.

Other than these, tray 1 and tray 2 work absolutely fine. The tray, the roller and the pad are thoroughly clean. What could be wrong with the copier?

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts
    [MP 3351] Tray 1 detects as empty if &lt;5 sheets; Paper Misfeed (A) error if &lt;15 sheets

Re: [MP 3351] Tray 1 detects as empty if <5 sheets; Paper Misfeed (A) error if <15 sh

Switch knocked out of holder at rear of machine?

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    [MP 3351] Tray 1 detects as empty if &lt;5 sheets; Paper Misfeed (A) error if &lt;15 sheets

Re: [MP 3351] Tray 1 detects as empty if <5 sheets; Paper Misfeed (A) error if <15 sh

Quote Originally Posted by copyaction View Post
    Switch knocked out of holder at rear of machine?
    The switch is used to set paper width which also sets lift motor function. A quick check is if the paper size is manually set in User Tools.

Thanks for the reply. The main concern here is issue #2. Because Tray 1 cannot print until empty, I cannot use Auto Paper Select to print continuously/seamlessly from Tray 1 to 2. That is, the work stops while I load Tray 1 with paper.

As suggested I opened the back and looked closely and the Tray 1 and Tray 2 looked identical and fine. Nothing knocked out of holder. What is the name of this switch?

The "Paper Size Sensor Side Fence" switch looks okay.

Paper size is indeed manually set at 8.5x11. Whether landscape or portrait. Whether Auto-Detect or manually set, I get the above two issues.

Re: issue #1: here is a video of the drive section: [https://gfycat.com/ripecookedjunebug] In the video, both trays have 2 sheets of paper.

Re: issue #2: I don't know why the paper feed roller couldn't pick up paper if there are less than 15 sheets in the tray.

If more than 5 sheets and more than 15 sheets, Tray 1 works absolutely fine.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

May be kind of a shot in the dark, but check the lift plate in the bottom of the tray and see if it's bent.

If it's straight and level, you may need to adjust SP 1908 (Tray 1) bottom plate pressure. I had one that was messing with me for a few weeks until one of the Help Desk guys suggested that fix.

"These SP codes adjust the initial amount of pressure that the bottom
    plate exerts on the bottom of the stack that presses against the feed
    roller. Adjust these SP codes if the machine is consistently
    double-feeding or failing to feed a specific paper size.
    These SP codes adjust the length of time that the lift motor runs forward
    or reverse to raise or lower the bottom plate under the stack after the top
    of stack has reached the feed position.
    􀂃 Double feeding occurs when there is too much pressure. To
    correct this, increase the length of time the motor runs in reverse to
    lower the tray (to do this, reduce the value of the setting).
    􀂃 Failure to feed occurs when there is not enough pressure. To
    correct this, increase the length of time the motor runs forward to
    raise the tray. (to do this, increase the value of the setting)."

SP 1908 (Tray 1)
    SP 1909 (Tray 2)
    SP 1910 (Tray 3)
    SP 1911 (Tray 4)

...good luck.

The bottom plate is indeed bent. Straightening it fixed both issues!

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Old post, but I was wondering if the MP3551 is the C3351(FS). If so, would these same adjustments be available in SM??? Ed

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by emujo2 View Post
    Old post, but I was wondering if the MP3551 is the C3351(FS). If so, would these same adjustments be available in SM??? Ed
    Not that ols a post. Just over 6 months.

The MP 3351 is a low volume Black&White. The C in C3351 generally denotes a color model. Having never heard of C3351, I am wondering if you mean C351?