Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
    Field Supervisor 500+ Posts
    25% Copier/ Printers Tariffs in the USA begin Friday May 10 2019 12:01 AM.

Re: 25% Copier/ Printers Tariffs in the USA begin Friday May 10 2019 12:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SalesServiceGuy View Post
    A 20 minute video discussion worth watching with a China USA trade expert discussing the trade war.

YouTube

A few key takeaways.

1). At the G20 meeting in Japan this summer President Trump and Chinese Premier Xi agreed that China would buy US agricultural goods in exchange for US corporations being allowed to trade with Huawei for 90 days. Unfortunately, the Chinese reneged on their part of the deal (no agricultural purchases) while the US allowed Huawei to trade.

Just this week President Trump extended this trade window for a second 90 days and China is still not buying US agricultural products.

This makes the US look very weak and indicates a faltering commitment by Trump on the trade war.

Furthermore,as an indirect concession that the trade war does hurt US consumers, President Trump has declared that many consumer electronic products manufactured in China will be exempt from a new 10% trade tariff starting Sept 01 until Dec 15th so as not to impact the US consumer in the critical shopping days before Xmas.

2). 5G Networks and advances are critical for future global leadership in all of the advanced economies of the world. The USA is ceding China this leadership when it becomes OK to trade low value agricultural primary goods for finished high value technology products from China.

3). The USA trade war is very unlikely to be resolved until well after the 2020 USA elections. A real siege mentality has permeated the Chinese leadership as their economy begins to slow and at some point may risk recession.
    Oh-It makes the US look weak. Well Trump has been the only one with the B-LLs to try to do anything about the trade inequality. I try to buy as little as possible of chineese products as I find them to be junk. Sometimes have no choice. I understand we may have to pay more now but will be better in the long run.
    O

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts

I could have phrased that line better.

"This makes the US look very weak and indicates a faltering commitment by Trump on the trade war."

Almost all professional economists give President Trump full marks for being the first President to take on the China trade imbalance and theft of intellectual property.

President Trump arranged a deal with China while in Japan at the G20 meeting this summer for them to buy agricultural products in exchange that the USA would allow US Corporations to trade with Huawei for 90 days. China reneged on that agreement and has halted all agricultural purchases from the USA. President Trump this week has rewarded China with another 90 trade trade extension with Huawei. China is still not buying agricultural products.

This has diminished President Trump's bargaining position.

You tell me what to think?

Depending on the brand of copier/printer you sell/service and the parts/toner you use there is a high chance it comes from China. If the origin is China, you are already being tariffed 25% import tax by the Trump administration.

To some extent manufacturers are diversifying their production capabilities out of China and into surrounding Asian countries to escape the tariff war. Very few have relocated back to the USA with new jobs as Trump had promised.
    Last edited by SalesServiceGuy; 08-22-2019 at 08:27 PM.

President Trump just announced effective Oct 01 2019, that a $250 Billion selection of goods including all copiers, printers, toners and related parts imported from China will see their tariffs increase from 25% to 30%.

President Trump also declared that all USA corporations that source goods manufactured in China begin immediately to find ways to manufacture those goods elsewhere but preferably relocate those facilities back to the USA.

These moves are in response to new Chinese countermeasures effective Sept 01 on President Trump's declaration of a new 10% tariffs on most consumer goods from China entering the USA. Many goods in this new tariff will be delayed until Dec 15th.

President Trump also declared today that those Chinese imported consumer goods scheduled to see a new 10% tariff on Sept 01 will now see a new 15% tariff.
    Last edited by SalesServiceGuy; 08-23-2019 at 11:09 PM.

I am all for it. I am for the USA. I dont care that you and the democrats take sides with china. Most American companies should be embarrassed about having their products made in china. Big name companies that used to make a great product,now that same model product is made in china and it is just like these new junk copiers out there. Make it with as little metal as possible,make the plastic thinner. Make the screws smaller,Make a cheap piece of garbage,sell to your loyal customers and screw them over. I agree with Trump 100%

Quote Originally Posted by Hansen88 View Post
    I am all for it. I am for the USA. I dont care that you and the democrats take sides with china. Most American companies should be embarrassed about having their products made in china. Big name companies that used to make a great product,now that same model product is made in china and it is just like these new junk copiers out there. Make it with as little metal as possible,make the plastic thinner. Make the screws smaller,Make a cheap piece of garbage,sell to your loyal customers and screw them over. I agree with Trump 100%

Odd Guess where Trump's ties.shirts and merchandise he sells comes from wait for wait for it YEP 100% Made in CHINA!

Donald Trump used Chinese steel and aluminum. The United States has a long history of producing high-quality steel and aluminum, but Trump chose Chinese manufacturers in at least two of his recent construction projects. The Trump International Hotel Las Vegas and the Trump International Hotel & Tower Chicago both used tons of Chinese metals.

Six Facts on Donald Trump’s Use of Chinese Steel | AFL-CIO

Quote Originally Posted by Hansen88 View Post
    You are incorrect to think that I am taking sides with China.

I think that they are trying to bully global trade by throwing their economic power around while steadily projecting their large military power into the South Pacific intimidating local countries.

As a Canadian citizen, I can tell you that China has wrongfully jailed two Canadian citizens since Dec 2018 due to Canada's house arrest of Huawei's Chief Financial Officer at the request of the USA pending extradition hearings. Yesterday, US Secretary of State, Mike Pompeo, was in Canada and told reporters that it was the official USA position that these two Canadian citizens should be immediately released and that China was in the wrong to detain them. The official Chinese response from the Chinese Foreign Ministry was over the top and snarky in its response. It is thought that Pompeo hit a nerve with his comments.

Simultaneously, in support of the USA, Canada is suffering economic harm in its trade arrangements with China due to the house arrest of this Huawei official accused of bank fraud by violating US economic sanctions against Iran.

From the Chinese point of view, they feel that the USA is trying to impede their growth and potential leadership in the technologies of the near future. 5G Networks and artificial intelligence. There is probably some truth to this.

President Trump's new round of 15% tariffs on $112B worth of Chinese consumer goods entering the USA took effect today.

The tariffs on copiers/ printers/ parts/consumables made in China increased from 25% to 30% today.

Trump'''s 15% tariffs on $112 billion in Chinese goods take effect

A study by J.P. Morgan found that Trump’s tariffs will cost the average U.S. household $1,000 a year. That study was done before Trump raised the Sept. 1 and Dec. 15 tariffs to 15% from 10%.

In Canada, manufacturers such as Konica Minolta are now making strong efforts to build local warehouse facilities to avoid US tariffs on goods that were first imported into the USA via China and then trans-shipped into Canada. Product is shipped direct into Vancouver from China via container and then via rail across to Toronto.

There is obviously a cost to these new Canadian warehouses but presumably much less than the 30% tariffs. Not having to deal with the uncertainties of the trade war would have some big benefits.

The same is happening in many industries all at the expense of the Port of Los Angeles.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Stanley Black & Decker is Reshoring More Production of Craftsman Tools | Alliance for American Manufacturing

BLACK AND DECKER MOVING OPERATIONS FROM CHINA TO TEXAS

Black and Decker will move production of their recently acquired Craftsman lineup. They bought the Craftsman brand from Sears who made the Terrible decision to outsource production to China. The moment this happened, the quality of the tools declined, and the sales of said tools plummeted. Good job Black and Decker for bringing back production of an ICONIC American brand to the USA. Tariffs were a slight factor in the decision to move back to the U.S., but the overall decline in the quality of the tools drove this decision more than anything. They want to make Craftsman "American Again".

Quote Originally Posted by FrohnB View Post
    Stanley Black & Decker is Reshoring More Production of Craftsman Tools | Alliance for American Manufacturing

BLACK AND DECKER MOVING OPERATIONS FROM CHINA TO TEXAS

Black and Decker will move production of their recently acquired Craftsman lineup. They bought the Craftsman brand from Sears who made the Terrible decision to outsource production to China. The moment this happened, the quality of the tools declined, and the sales of said tools plummeted. Good job Black and Decker for bringing back production of an ICONIC American brand to the USA. Tariffs were a slight factor in the decision to move back to the U.S., but the overall decline in the quality of the tools drove this decision more than anything. They want to make Craftsman "American Again".
    Craftsman was the only reason I ever went in a sears store for. Then the tools turned low quality and a lot of gimmick tools I quit buying them. I like Snap On, they are probably the best but not available locally to me. If I have to buy china made tools,because that is all that is carried,I usually buy Husky at Home Depot. Would love to see craftsman made in the USA,Ill start buying them again.

Trump tariffs are set to cost U.S. households $2,000 in 2020, research group finds

Tariffs are expected to cost American households more than $2,000 per year in 2020, according to a recent report from the National Foundation for American Policy (NFAP).

The Arlington-based nonprofit — which looked at the effect of tariffs on the overall economy and consumers — estimated that by the end of 2019, the trade duties imposed by U.S. President Donald Trump “will have cost the average household $1,315 over a two-year period.”

And “when adding the tariffs in effect and the tariffs set to go into effect by the end of 2019, the costs of the tariffs to consumers will be $259.2 billion,” the report stated. “That is, the tariffs will cost the average household $2,031 per year, and will be recurring so long as the tariffs stay in effect.”