Sharp toner in brother printer.

This was probably always doomed to failure, but I may as well relay the outcome.

So I had a number of unwanted Sharp MX23 toners on hand, plus an old unused (domestic quality) Brother HL2130, of course I wondered if the Sharp toner would work in the brother printer.

I removed ~380 grams of toner from a sharp cartridge and 40 grams from the brother (that had hit it's cartridge end counter), and refilled the Brother with 20 new grams.

Total failure, the toner fused correctly, but was smeared all over the page, the OPC drum was heavily coated with toner when inspected.

I have included the included the test page for anyone interested.

Interestingly enough after I tipped the toner out it printed ok as it was fading out.

Anyway, that's how I wasted an hour recently doing nothing productive.

Sharp in brother2.jpg

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Re: Sharp toner in brother printer.

You won’t f@@k around with toner again will you.

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

This follows a theme all of us have heard before: " ... well, it IS black and powdery. Why wouldn't it work?"

The obvious things being:
    toner particle size
    positive/negative charge of the toner particles
    developer bias level

It was a good idea to use only a small amount of the wrong toner. It can be consumed, collected as waste toner, and go away quickly.

In the case where negatively charged toner is substituted for positively charged toner the only place the toner does not want to be in in the developing unit. Its like a toner bomb went off inside the machine. The developer producing a negative tribo-electric effect is introduced with negatively charged toner and the very strong repulsion forces the toner out of every opening in the developing unit.

Its even more exciting if you were to introduce liquid Savin toner to a dry system. You get something resembling black cake batter, then all the stirring augers break.
    =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts roho's Avatar

Got 2 toner stories, one customer used NP 3235 toner in a IR2280. How they managed to take the time to actually do that was a surprise as they barely took the time to load paper. Guess the machine was down, you know how real estate offices work. Opposite polarity, resulting in a new dev and charges.

Another enterprising young fellow used some off brand(s) of toner, Toshiba, and Sharp if I recall, and combined them and managed to replace toner in a IR330. Same result, opposite polarity, new dev, charged. Never did see that young guy there the next day replacing the dev, and never after.

We all have seen that customer, toner is toner, labels are labels, transparencies are transparencies, what's the diff?

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts

Yup, that's a lesson you will never forget.

I'm assuming you are an end user, due to the fact the " +/- Toner " differences, along with size of the toner grain, whether there is a small amount of Dev particles mixed in, are one of the first things you learn in training.

You lucked out .... MOST times it can ruin the Drums/Dev/Fuser and other items in the machine.

Thanks for the responses everyone.

I appreciate the civility.

I probably should have noted that it was 38 sharp toner cartridges I given, and I really felt the need to do something other than ebay them all.

I just replaced the sharp toner with brother again and the printer works fine.

I disposed of the sharp toner, printed a few full black pages until the streaking cleared, wiped down the developer roller, refilled the cartridge with the original brother toner and ran some test prints, by page three it performed the same as before the swap, test page attached.

Brother toner again.jpg

As a side noted I wondered how many pages this printer would allow with a margin to margin black page, it was 50 pages until it stopped printing, requesting a new toner cartridge, makes sense I guess, with the printer expecting a 1000 pages per cartridge (5%), then 100% coverage = 50 pages, 10%= 500 pages, 5% = 1000 pages.
    Attached Images Attached Images

No pain no gain they say.
    Whatever