Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Senior Tech 250+ Posts

3503 Ethernet Port Not working

Got a MP C3503 in...did my typical stuff to "clean" it up....5-832-001, 5-846-046,5-801-10 & 11, and then updated the firmware.

Then after all is done, i put in the IP address i use for that machine, and hook it up to print/scan...but the ethernet port is not working, no lights are coming on in that port. The usb port works fine. I know whoever had this before me was scanning for sure with all the accounts setup in the address book.

I checked SP 5-985-NIC and USB and they are both set to "1" "enabled"

I then decided to replace the controller board which i have very little experience doing. The SM has very little on that matter, at least where i was at, it just say to unscrew it, swap the NVRAM's, and fire it up (I'm assuming thats wrong)...but then i get a 995-03 (identification code and serial number issue), basically its telling me "hey idiot, you don't know how to replace a controller board"

I made sure it had the right serial number but still no luck.

I did use a controller board from a parts machine, which could be my issue in the first place, i'm not sure if it has to be a brand new one or not.

***So am i missing something as far as enabling the ethernet port on this machine, or is it toast and i just need to learn how to properly replace the controller board?***

Any help is much appreciated...thanks!

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Re: 3503 Ethernet Port Not working

As long as you got the two NVRAM's swapped between controller boards, all "should" be good, assuming that you have the correct controller (D1475188).

Make sure the Dip Switches on the controller are all in the same position as the original board.

Check SP 5-811 and make sure there isn't a mismatch in the Serial number. Should match what's on the back cover of machine. Correct it if the number does not match.

You could try getting the BICU from your donor machine, and installing that as "a set" with the controller from the donor. I think those BICU's also have an NVRAM on them that needs to be switched.

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Check interface settings in User Tools. If IEEE 802.11 is enabled, disable it.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

I'll check that slim

Frohnb I did all that except the bicu swap

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Slimslob it is inactive...everything seems to matchup with another 3503 i have in the office.

So is the next step swapping the controller board? Is it necessary to swap the BICU when doing this..i'd like to avoid that.

Sounds like you did a mini "refurb" when the machine came in? Did you verify Print/Scan worked when you got the machine or are you assuming it worked? I do a fair number of refurbs and have in the past (years ago now) been burnt because some functions of the machine were not working after the refurb was completed - I had no way of knowing if I had caused the problem, or it came from the vendor not working correctly. Now I verify Copy/Print/Scan/Fax when the machine arrives. I also check CQ, 2 sided, ADF, ALL Finisher modes. After this inspection is complete, I then update ALL firmware. Then I print the FULL SMC Report, and clear any Memory (SP 5801-003 to 024) before removing any covers to start the refurb. Sounds like extra work but it is peace of mind.
    You may have to do as Frohn B suggested and swap the BICU and Controller Board together from the donor machine.
    Stupid question, but do you know for certain your Ethernet cable is OK? Did you try a crossover cable before swapping out the original Controller PCB?

Retired 10,000+ Posts

With a 35 ppm machine it is doubtful, but is there a chance that it had a Fiery connected? Some models have a SP setting to disable the GW controller.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Bowen View Post
    Sounds like you did a mini "refurb" when the machine came in? Did you verify Print/Scan worked when you got the machine or are you assuming it worked? I do a fair number of refurbs and have in the past (years ago now) been burnt because some functions of the machine were not working after the refurb was completed - I had no way of knowing if I had caused the problem, or it came from the vendor not working correctly. Now I verify Copy/Print/Scan/Fax when the machine arrives. I also check CQ, 2 sided, ADF, ALL Finisher modes. After this inspection is complete, I then update ALL firmware. Then I print the FULL SMC Report, and clear any Memory (SP 5801-003 to 024) before removing any covers to start the refurb. Sounds like extra work but it is peace of mind.
    You may have to do as Frohn B suggested and swap the BICU and Controller Board together from the donor machine.
    Stupid question, but do you know for certain your Ethernet cable is OK? Did you try a crossover cable before swapping out the original Controller PCB?
    Yup Gary that sounds exactly like what i do....I do check most everything when the machine arrives but i did not test the print/scan function this time. I have found it very rare that they don't work and if its the case i usually make it a parts machine...however this particular one has a decent counter so i would hate to label it a parts machine.

I have tried multiple cables, as well as checking the physical ethernet contacts within the port to make sure they are not bent.

I have not tried the crossover cable though...didn't think that would make a difference but its worth a shot.

Alright i'll look into swapping the BICU...i know i need to go through it in the manual but is that a pain to do? Or is it more just saving and reloading stuff once swapped?

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Not a pain to swap the BICU, just lots of connectors that have to be unplugged and re-plugged, but still not bad.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FrohnB View Post
    Not a pain to swap the BICU, just lots of connectors that have to be unplugged and re-plugged, but still not bad.
    Alright I swapped all three boards on the back on the machine....the IPU, BCU, and Controller Board i believe. And still getting the same thing. I guess i'm missing something with the switch.

This time upon bootup i got 995-02, then i put the correct serial number in, then, and where it currently sits, it has a 995-03. Back to what it was

I'm getting ready to make this a parts machine...any other thoughts? What am i doing wrong? I switched the NVRAM'S over, even tried doing 5-824-upload then download after the swap.