Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Re: L26500 or Latex 260 - can I use a previously used OMAS controller PCA?

No, I have not tried swapping PCI slots. I'll try that.

I wonder whether a disk recovery would do anything.

Thanks for your input.

Paul

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    L26500 or Latex 260 - can I use a previously used OMAS controller PCA?

Sorry. No help on the CSN front either. No documents or CPMD's.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

....or would updating the firmware help? But since it does not come to "ready"--stops initializing with the system error 50.1:11, I think I would have to use the ".plt" firmware file.

I don't know where to get that file, or whether I can even get it. I think hp.com only has the ".fmw" firmware update file. I have seen the steps for using this ".plt" firmware update file in the service manual.

Thanks,
    Paul

I did get some ideas from HP. Make sure the OMAS cable (the flat ribbon cable) has the printed side facing up where it connects to the OMAS PCA. It should also be face up at the OMAS itself (if you look up under the printer at it, you should see the un-printed side of the cable.) Just in case it's been taken apart and not put back together correctly by someone.

You can disable the OMAS. Go to Service Test Menu >1.3 Media Path Menu>1.3.2 Enable/Disable OMAS. Beware though that it may re-enable it when the printer is started, but give it a try. This is item 1.3.2 in the service manual under service tests.

You can update the firmware from the service mode using the Force Firmware Update and the printer's built in web interface. That's also in the same section of the service manual.

In the end, the vibe I get is that it could be the OMAS PCA, or the OMAS/cable itself. Since it's easier to replace the PCA, it might be easier to rule it out first.

Kiran

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Thanks for your response, Kiran! BTW, the cable between OMAS PCA and OMAS module is correctly configured.

<<You can disable the OMAS. Go to Service Test Menu >1.3 Media Path Menu>1.3.2 Enable/Disable OMAS. Beware though that it may re-enable it when the printer is started, but give it a try. This is item 1.3.2 in the service manual under service tests.>>

I don't think I can enter this menu as the printer does not boot that far--I as best I know cannot get to the "setup menu" (Service Menu) wherein I would enter the "Enable/disable OMAS"; it always ends with system error 50.1:11. As best I know I can only enter the "Diagnostic Service Tests Menu".

<<You can update the firmware from the service mode using the Force Firmware Update and the printer's built in web interface. That's also in the same section of the service manual.>>

As best as I know, I would still need to be able to enter the Service Menu which I don't think I can do.

But I think I can go through the steps outlined in "Emergency Firmware Upgrade".

BUT I DO NOT HAVE THE "PLT" UPDATE FIRMWARE.

Do you know where to get the PLT update firmware file????? (Would probably have to be the HP CEO to get it.)

<<In the end, the vibe I get is that it could be the OMAS PCA, or the OMAS/cable itself. Since it's easier to replace the PCA, it might be easier to rule it out first.>>

I can only find the OMAS controller PCA for about $240 (partshere.com). I can find a used OMAS module for $100 used. I may just give the used OMAS module a whirl. Again, to me it is 50/50 OMAS PCA or OMAS module. But I don't really know for sure. Looking at the least cost steps. I hate to throw parts at it.

But you seem to think OMAS PCA or its cable.

Thanks,
    Paul

Sorry, I assumed you knew how to enter the service mode on power up. Hold down the cancel and up buttons, then press and hold the power button until you see the HP logo, then release all three buttons. You might consider using the 'Force Diagnostic Mode' to keep the printer in diagnostic mode between restarts.

The force firmware upgrade uses the printer's web server to upload the .fmw file downloaded from HP. You don't need a .plt file. I would probably leave this as a last resort if replacing the parts doesn't work.

This is all explained in the service manual.

The OMAS PCA is available directly from HP's part store. It's $239.80. If it doesn't work you can return it for a restocking fee. (I wouldn't give Partshere a penny IMHO.)

Kiran

By the way, if you do get the used OMAS, if it comes with the cable (hopefully) you can just plug it into the OMAS PCA and see if the printer boots, saving having to install it which is a bear.

Kiran

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

I don't mean any offense whatsoever and good idea on just plugging the OMAS cable into the OMAS PCA.:

As best as I know, I cannot boot to the Service Menu, which contains the "OMAS disable/enable" and the "Force FW Upgrade" menu options.

I can only get into the Diagnostic Menu by pressing and releasing the 3 buttons you note.

OMAS disable/enable is not available in the "Diagnostic Menu".

Force Firmware Upgrade is not available in the "Diagnostic Menu".

As best as I know I can only upgrade the FW via an Emergency FW Upgrade which as far as I know needs the ".plt" file.

....I kinda know what you mean about partshere.com, they have kinda seemed to employ bait and switch with their prices. I don't think I have ever bought anything from them. So far as hp parts I had communication problems and just gave up. I bought from sparepartswarehouse.com for a long time and then they went under. I have bought some from alinc.com.

I kinda like LPS Computer some but they are a bit pricey especially selling used (tested?) parts. For example their OMAS module is about $186. I guess the premium you have to pay for a more reliable used part.

Thanks.
    Paul

You're right, Paul. I apologize. I'm confusing the diagnostic mode with the service menu.

I'll find out about the .plt file. I've never had to do the firmware update via FTP. I really doubt this is the problem. Perhaps trying the HD recovery first might tell us something.

Kiran

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Yeah, I like the thought about perhaps the FW is not fully loading and causing the error or something related to the FW.

So maybe I will try the hard drive recovery, if something else does not work before that.

Again, good idea on plugging OMAS module in first before installing it, if I get it. Asking used parts sellers now if they would include cable.

But again: A few years ago I got the front panel message of: "OMAS not reading...." Does this mean anything to you in relation to the present error? Makes me think it is the OMAS module. I got this message the last time it was fired up.

I'm ashamed I have let this sit for 3 years at least.

Thanks very much.
    Paul