Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Can't clear Broken Bag error on Designjet 4500

One of the 4500 printers I have came to me with a Broken Bag error (24:10 I think) and it refuses to clear. I've checked the ink supplies and also for ink in any air lines and there is none. I've replaced the air pump with a known good used one and no good result. Even replaced the coin battery on the mother board to see if that would at least clear the error. No joy.

Does anyone know where the code is stored?

I can pick up used Mech board, used mother board and other parts pretty cheap but hate to just start throwing parts. I replaced the ink cartridge that the printer said is leaking (it wasn't) with a tested good one, thinking it might help but didn't.

I've heard the Broken Bag error can be very difficult to clear. I have the service manual and have gone through the solutions but still not helping.

Any experience with this problem? If I can't solve this, I could use this printer as a parts source for the other two I have or sell off the parts but I don't want to sell something like a print mech board that might be holding the error in it's memory.

Maybe resetting the EEROM will erase the error?

TIA.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Re: Can't clear Broken Bag error on Designjet 4500

I ran into this once, and I think doing the EEROM reset resolved it, because it put the printer into the 'first time startup' process. I either did the reset or the prime tubes process, but you need the setup printheads to do that correctly.

Kiran

PS - I checked my notes and clearing the EEROM got me past the broken bag error when the normal process would not.
    Last edited by Kiran Otter; 10-10-2019 at 03:51 PM.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Something else I remembered; in my case the broken bag was caused by ink leaking from one of the upper ink cartridges dripping down onto the ISS PCA on the tube assembly below it. I had to remove the board and wash and dry it with alcohol to clean the ink out of the connector it fouled. Not sure what caused your broken bag. I've seen maybe 2 ink cartridges that actually failed inside the cartridge and ink was coming out of both ports. This causes ink to enter the air tubes so it's pretty obvious when it happens.

Kiran

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

I couldn't see any evidence of past ink leaking when I removed the cover a couple day ago. All the air lines were clean and couldn't see any air in the ink lines on the back but did see a small pocket of air in the yellow line near the carriage. But that's easy to clear with the syringe tool. So I reset the EEROM and the broken bag error is gone and hasn't come back. Of course, clearing the EEROM erased all the past error messages but that's okay. The printer seems to be in pretty good condition except for printheads and a couple other small things. Not bad for a free printer. Paper switching works just fine but I'll probably treat the #2 feed roller with the rubber renue just to be sure.

As usual, thanks for all the help guys. Really appreciate your time and knowledge.