PDA

View Full Version : Assistance w/ Firmware Update for Konica C284...

Custom Search

ENathe
06-15-2015, 05:57 PM
Greetings,

I am trying to do a firmware update on our Konica Bizhub C284. Unfortunately when I go into the admin control and under "Network" there is no option for "Internet ISW Settings" Which according to Konica's manual, that is where I would need enable the proxy settings and where I can manually update the firmware.

I found another source on Konicas site that gave extremely vague instructions on how to enable the Internet ISW Settings on the admin console. Which basically went: Utility -> Admin settings -> Network settings -> Internet ISW Settings. There is not "Utility" option in the admin console, so I checked on the actual device, and it was there. However there again is no option for "Internet ISW Settings".

Am I missing something? We have had a bit of an array issues for awhile now with this device and from what I have seen in my search most of them are resolved with a firmware update... Any assistance would be GREATLY appreciated!

copier tech
06-15-2015, 06:06 PM
Personally I find it easier to update the firmware via the USB drive method.

ENathe
06-15-2015, 06:13 PM
I would love to take there route! Unfortunately, I have not been able to find any documentation on that process with the C284. Also I have not been able to find anywhere to actually download the firmware myself...

emujo
06-15-2015, 06:14 PM
Much easier to load firmware from a USB drive.

copier tech
06-15-2015, 07:09 PM
Only qualified techs have access to the firmware, this is not an option for end users such as yourself!

ENathe
06-15-2015, 07:17 PM
Heh, that's like Jeep not allowing me access to change the oil on my Cherokee...

So we would need to pay someone to come out and do a simple firmware update?

KingofMorton
06-15-2015, 07:21 PM
Get yourself some firmware (K2 is the latest) and then someone may be willing to walk you through it via a USB stick. Firmware is not publicly available and you may have to go to your local KMBS dealer and ask if they will allow you to have it.

darry1322
06-15-2015, 07:28 PM
Heh, that's like Jeep not allowing me access to change the oil on my Cherokee...

So we would need to pay someone to come out and do a simple firmware update?

I don't know of any copier companies who release firmware to the public. At least none of the brands I've been affiliated with.

copier tech
06-15-2015, 07:37 PM
Yes, Jeep will allow you change your oil, but they won't supply you with the the ECU software!

minimerlin
06-15-2015, 08:43 PM

So we would need to pay someone to come out and do a simple firmware update?Not really!You can change the toner on a copier and the oil on the car. Can you update the software for your Cherokee Engine control unit? That is a dealer/garage job! So is firmware updates on photocopiers as you need the program firmware and also any details of soft switch settings that go with the update.

Skyler
06-15-2015, 08:57 PM
When performing a firmware update it is easy to turn your machine into a boat anchor if not done properly,
this is why KMBS usually does not allow end users to do their own F/W updates.
The version K2 mentioned above is for the C284e series, not C284. If your model is a C284 then you need version G00-72, this is the latest.
If your model is the C284e then you will need ver. G00-K2.

Is there a specific reason you are trying to do the update and what is your current firmware version?

If it's not broke don't fix it!!!!

ENathe
06-15-2015, 09:18 PM
Only qualified techs have access to the firmware, this is not an option for end users such as yourself!

I apologize if this seems rude and I could be completely wrong, but I find it hard to believe that this isn't more a money thing then a "for the good of our customers" practice. I have updated firmware on countless devices of all types, including enterprise class printers (though they were Dell branded, but interestingly they give open access to firmware for their printers of all kinds) and don't see how this could be anymore difficult...

Yes, Jeep will allow you change your oil, but they won't supply you with the the ECU software!

That's not really a good comparison :D. An oil change is a regular part of maintenance of your vehicle, as is a firmware update to printer or a server or a hard drive even. The only reason I would need access to the ECU software for my jeep is if my computer died and I needed to replace it, which sadly has happened... To deny customers who have paid a good amount of money the ability to properly maintain their investment, well that's just bad business. I understand there is a bit more risk involved with a firmware update...But it is what it is I suppose, and so not rant toooo much as a new member to this forum I will shut up :p

When performing a firmware update it is easy to turn your machine into a boat anchor if not done properly,
this is why KMBS usually does not allow end users to do their own F/W updates.
The version K2 mentioned above is for the C284e series, not C284. If your model is a C284 then you need version G00-72, this is the latest.
If your model is the C284e then you will need ver. G00-K2.

Is there a specific reason you are trying to do the update and what is your current firmware version?

If it's not broke don't fix it!!!!

I need a new anchor anyways! I definitely understand the potential risk of updating firmware and what can happen if done incorrectly, or even sometimes if done correctly! I may not be considered a "qualified" Konica tech, but I have been in the biz for a few years and had my share of tumbles ;P.

C284, not the e. Definitely not working as intended, continuing to randomly get a C-E301 error, which is said to be resolved with a firmware update. Also has quite a few other quirks that at least in my experience can be resolved with a simple firmware update.

Get yourself some firmware (K2 is the latest) and then someone may be willing to walk you through it via a USB stick. Firmware is not publicly available and you may have to go to your local KMBS dealer and ask if they will allow you to have it.

Coming from Dell I thought they had pretty bad customer service...My response from Konica was "We can't help you with that, if you know what I mean." So I'll try some local dealers and see if they will have pity on us, it's that or we fork out the 120+ bucks for someone to come out for a firmware update.

If anyone does have a way to assist with us getting the firmware in an easier way it'd be greatly appreciated. This is probably the most responsive forum I have joined for this kinda thing. I appreciate your your guys time, thanks!

dickierock
06-16-2015, 05:13 PM
Of all devices to try update the firmware on,these konica minolta's are not straightforward like other printers.
I have plenty of experience with firmware,but still take it very carefully with these.
Do yourself a favour,get someone with the expertise to do the firmware.

emujo
06-16-2015, 05:35 PM
Firmware updates are free for or contracted customers...If you can obtain the firmware yourself, just post the "how do I install this" question on the site. You will get plenty of responses...Beware of posters offering you the files for free...as you saw from one of the above posts, you may get the wrong files and then you do have an anchor. Also, there are different version for different countries, special versions for running special apps and so on. My guess on the vendors posting of downloadable firmware is based on the price of the MFP...Are you going to spend $150 for firmware update on a $100 printer? IMHO $150 is relatively cheap when compared to replacement of a 3-100K mfp. I'm sure if you offer to pay for the file, some schlep will accommodate...Emujo

copier tech
06-16-2015, 05:47 PM
Just to add I would say if you're planning on keeping the machine it's worth spending a one off fee to a tech to come out update the firmware & also service/clean the machine & replace any parts that are nearly due, feed rollers etc especially if you do a lot of scanning. These are a good box if well looked after!

ENathe
06-16-2015, 06:08 PM
Of all devices to try update the firmware on,these konica minolta's are not straightforward like other printers.
I have plenty of experience with firmware,but still take it very carefully with these.
Do yourself a favour,get someone with the expertise to do the firmware.

Looks like I got my new anchor! just joking, update was a success! Pretty straightforward actually, once we got the firmware :). Believe it or not the old Dell I had to deal with was even a bit more complex.

Just to add I would say if you're planning on keeping the machine it's worth spending a one off fee to a tech to come out update the firmware & also service/clean the machine & replace any parts that are nearly due, feed rollers etc especially if you do a lot of scanning. These are a good box if well looked after!

Well one thing, my boss is not entirely sure how much longer he wants to keep this machine. We don't like to get too far behind with the latest models of various technology. Just want to squeeze a bit more life outta it until we get a for sure decision.

Just outta curiosity, how does one get certified with Konica? I did a search on their site and found information about the cert, but not how one actually goes about getting it...I don't know if we will continue to use Konica but if so it may be worthwhile getting qualified to do our own maintenance on it.

Anyways, thanks again guys!

wseyller
06-17-2015, 03:58 AM
Just outta curiosity, how does one get certified with Konica? I did a search on their site and found information about the cert, but not how one actually goes about getting it...I don't know if we will continue to use Konica but if so it may be worthwhile getting qualified to do our own maintenance on it.

Anyways, thanks again guys!

Get hired by an authorized dealer and hope they give you the training. Then have access as long as you are still employed by them.

Custom Search