PDA

View Full Version : Miscellaneous Unable to do scan to email with Office 365

Custom Search

SmlBizAdmin
07-16-2015, 06:44 PM
I have a customer with a Bizhub C35. He's been doing scan to email to his Office 365 address using an onsite Linux server with SMTP.

He's getting rid of the Linux server and wants to use one of his new VMs running Windows Server 2012 R2. The SMTP service has been setup on it and tested successfully by dropping a properly formatted text file into C:\inetpub\mailroot\Pickup. He receives every test email sent that way.

I've then configured the C35 to go either directly to O365 or through the new SMTP service on the Windows server. Neither way works. He doesn't get an error on the C35 but he never gets the email. And I haven't seen anything in any of the mailroot subfolders either.

So if anyone knows how to properly configure a C35 or similar model to be able to do scan to O365 email I'd like to know how you did it.

Thanks,
Jonathan

emujo
07-16-2015, 08:06 PM
Office 365 requires use of TLS...if you don't see that option under the email settings then it won't work...Other than that, do a search on this site..there have been plent of postings for the proper MFP config to support Office 365. If "C:\inetpub\mailroot\Pickup" is a watch folder, then you could just configure the C35 to scan (SMB) to that folder. Emujo

SmlBizAdmin
07-16-2015, 08:35 PM
Thanks for the reply. Yes the C35 does SSL/TLS which is a requirement for O365. I'll do a search and hopefully find a post that will do the trick.

Jonathan

Office 365 requires use of TLS...if you don't see that option under the email settings then it won't work...Other than that, do a search on this site..there have been plent of postings for the proper MFP config to support Office 365. If "C:\inetpub\mailroot\Pickup" is a watch folder, then you could just configure the C35 to scan (SMB) to that folder. Emujo

SmlBizAdmin
07-24-2015, 05:44 PM
I found a few posts though not as many as I thought I would. They led me to a couple of articles are setting up a scanner to work with O365. I've tried every method I've found but nothing works. I can do a test send directly through the SMTP service on a server and it always arrives at the destination address. But scans from the KM Bizhub C35 never arrive. There are no errors and nothing to go on to troubleshoot the process.

When trying any of the methods I've found, the transfer icon on the scanner display shows for either a long time or a short time depending on the method used. And that's all that happens. There are no errors and the scan never gets to the destination.

On the C35 network email SMTP config screen there is a field to enable or disable SSL/TLS and a field for the port number (SSL). I have found multiple articles that say Exchange Online supports TLS 1.0, 1.1, and 1.2. And the specs for the C35 say that it supports SMTP over SSL/Start TLS.

I did find one possible source for the problem on the C35. What I found is then even with the SSL/TLS option set to Enable in the Email TX (SMTP) setting on the Network tab, when I go to the Security tab and choose PKI Settings, SSL/TLS Settings, the SSL/TLS option for Enable/Disable is set to Disable and it's grayed out so I can't change it to Enable. Any idea why that SSL/TLS field would be inaccessible? I can change the Encryption Strength dropdown but not the dropdown to Enable it. This may be what is causing the C35 to not properly communicate with O365.

Could that have something to do with the fact that there is no Device Certificate? When I click on that setting there is no certificate shown. Does that need to exist in order to be able to enable SSL/TLS on the Security tab? Or does it even matter if that is enabled there as long as it's set to Enable on the Network / E-mail TX (SMTP) menu?

Jonathan

Lepton
07-24-2015, 06:09 PM
I've had issues getting many machines (especially the Muratec C3035 which I believe is equivalent to the KM C35) to work with Office 365 at a remote location (no experience yet with it running on a local server if that's even a thing).

One thing I remember doing to resolve an issue was messing around with the settings in Office365 itself. For example, Outlook and other email programs would work fine with it but no scanners/printers would. I finally found out that you must set/authorize a specific domain and the machine sending it must be a part of said domain or perhaps its FQDN needs to be of a certain format--though I'm not familiar enough with email servers to tell you more than that. With my limited knowledge I suspect that your problem lies in the settings of the server itself because obviously the machine is getting packets saying that the data has been successfully TX/RX. It's just that, after that, the server decides that something is "out-of-order" with the particular email and doesn't deliver it.

I wish I knew enough about it to give you a better answer but, I don't. Maybe some day!

emujo
07-24-2015, 06:25 PM
The choice for using SSL is under network settings, http settings. Once enabled here you can use SSL. Emujo

SmlBizAdmin
07-24-2015, 08:44 PM
Though I was referring to SSL/TLS being enabled on Network, E-mail Settings, E-mail TX (SMTP), I wasn't aware of the SSL/TLS setting on the HTTP Settings section. However I don't think that setting is used in this case because this is for sending out scans via email and SMTP is used, not HTTP.

The choice for using SSL is under network settings, http settings. Once enabled here you can use SSL. Emujo

SmlBizAdmin
07-24-2015, 08:49 PM
I've tried have it send through an onsite 2012 R2 server with the SMTP service installed to Office 365 and I've tried having the C35 to send directly to O365. I've created a connector in O365 to accept email from the customer's static IP address in case that was needed. I'm pretty much out of ideas at this point because I've tried everything I have found in my research. I can successfully send a test message from the 2012 server's SMTP service so I'm pretty sure it's a matter of getting the correct settings on the C35. Of course this assumes the C35 is indeed capable of working with Office 365 which I have not yet verified.

I've had issues getting many machines (especially the Muratec C3035 which I believe is equivalent to the KM C35) to work with Office 365 at a remote location (no experience yet with it running on a local server if that's even a thing).

One thing I remember doing to resolve an issue was messing around with the settings in Office365 itself. For example, Outlook and other email programs would work fine with it but no scanners/printers would. I finally found out that you must set/authorize a specific domain and the machine sending it must be a part of said domain or perhaps its FQDN needs to be of a certain format--though I'm not familiar enough with email servers to tell you more than that. With my limited knowledge I suspect that your problem lies in the settings of the server itself because obviously the machine is getting packets saying that the data has been successfully TX/RX. It's just that, after that, the server decides that something is "out-of-order" with the particular email and doesn't deliver it.

I wish I knew enough about it to give you a better answer but, I don't. Maybe some day!

Mr Spock
07-24-2015, 11:44 PM
The account that the c35 is using must be an admin level account. If not then o365 may not forward the email properly.
There is a bulletin on Konica minolta's tech page on this.

SmlBizAdmin
07-27-2015, 02:09 PM
The account he's using to authenticate with is an admin level account on O365. So I'm still looking for the solution. I wish there was a tech page that gave all of the settings needed to set up the C35 for O365.

The account that the c35 is using must be an admin level account. If not then o365 may not forward the email properly.
There is a bulletin on Konica minolta's tech page on this.

SmlBizAdmin
07-27-2015, 02:11 PM
I wonder if you're thinking of a connector. I had forgotten about that at first but came across an article which reminded of it. So I created a connector telling O365 to accept SMPT mail from his static IP address. I don't know if it was needed or not since I still can't get any scans to go out.

Moza
07-27-2015, 04:45 PM
What are you using as the SMTP server address ?

SmlBizAdmin
07-27-2015, 08:02 PM
Depending on which method I was using (direct or relay) I used either the local IP address of the server running the SMTP service or the public IP address of the site.

What are you using as the SMTP server address ?

Moza
07-28-2015, 11:32 AM
Depending on which method I was using (direct or relay) I used either the local IP address of the server running the SMTP service or the public IP address of the site.

Providing this device does support TLS you should be able to use client submission method

if you make sure the administrators email address in "Machine Settings" is the same as the Office365 account you are using

just tried this on a C253 and works perfectly

SmlBizAdmin
07-28-2015, 02:35 PM
Yep, did that and it didn't work. But I'll try it again. I did find on the Security tab (when logged into the C35 as administrator via web browser) there is another place to enable SSL/TLS but it's grayed out because there is no certificate installed. Is this needed? Or do I just need to enable SSL/TLS in the Network Email SMTP settings section?

Providing this device does support TLS you should be able to use client submission method

if you make sure the administrators email address in "Machine Settings" is the same as the Office365 account you are using

just tried this on a C253 and works perfectly

Moza
07-28-2015, 03:59 PM
Yep, did that and it didn't work. But I'll try it again. I did find on the Security tab (when logged into the C35 as administrator via web browser) there is another place to enable SSL/TLS but it's grayed out because there is no certificate installed. Is this needed? Or do I just need to enable SSL/TLS in the Network Email SMTP settings section?

You should only need to enable TLS in the email settings but see the link below explaining all methods of setting up devices to scan to Office 365. Hope this helps.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn554323(v=exchg.150).aspx

SmlBizAdmin
07-28-2015, 06:11 PM
Yah been through that article over and over. But still couldn't get it to work. That's why I've asked for help here and elsewhere.

You should only need to enable TLS in the email settings but see the link below explaining all methods of setting up devices to scan to Office 365. Hope this helps.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn554323(v=exchg.150).aspx

Custom Search