PDA

View Full Version : BH C203 Loud plastic gear over gear noise from right rear corner of machine

Custom Search

Desert Rat
07-23-2015, 05:56 AM
Just thought I would put this up and see if I'm on the right track.

I tripped the right side door and pushed in that while thing in the back.
I looked into the fuser and the rollers were not turning. It did not code out
until I took my finger off the white thing. The code referred to the transfer
belt alienation something. If I keep the white thing pushed in it does not
code.
Instead it ask to have a new waste toner box install, even after installing
a new box. (aftermarket box)

These two issues came up at the same time. Can these two problems be related?
I'm in the process of digging the fuser motor and drive out.
I am at the point where the boards need to disconnected to swing the boards
out of the way.

Now I did check the two drive gears for the fuser. The one toward the back won't turn
by hand. This must be for the pressure roller. (according to the book)
The other turns easy in both direction. Push the white thing in and it engages the motor and drive
and I can feel some resistance in both direction.
The only other time I heard a noise like this was a C6500. But it coded out with a waste augar code
that lead me to the problem. Could this be the waste toner auger?

Any input would help me separate or associate the problems.

Thanks

DR

allan
07-23-2015, 06:20 AM
Ouch, that hurts really bad if its what i think it is. If it is the auger you're in for a treat there is a bulletin for this problem. I remember the first time a supervisor gave me that long tube housing. Takes about 2 hours to get it out and about 3 to put it all back together. Take a box for the parts coming of.

I changed all of the waste boxes i could find before that happens again.
The toner hardens at the base of the tube at the waste bottle entrance.
Can't remember any noise.

hotfuser
07-23-2015, 09:15 AM
Just thought I would put this up and see if I'm on the right track.

I tripped the right side door and pushed in that while thing in the back.
I looked into the fuser and the rollers were not turning. It did not code out
until I took my finger off the white thing. The code referred to the transfer
belt alienation something. If I keep the white thing pushed in it does not
code.
Instead it ask to have a new waste toner box install, even after installing
a new box. (aftermarket box)

These two issues came up at the same time. Can these two problems be related?
I'm in the process of digging the fuser motor and drive out.
I am at the point where the boards need to disconnected to swing the boards
out of the way.

Now I did check the two drive gears for the fuser. The one toward the back won't turn
by hand. This must be for the pressure roller. (according to the book)
The other turns easy in both direction. Push the white thing in and it engages the motor and drive
and I can feel some resistance in both direction.
The only other time I heard a noise like this was a C6500. But it coded out with a waste augar code
that lead me to the problem. Could this be the waste toner auger?

Any input would help me separate or associate the problems.

Thanks

DR
this is the worst job ever.the toner hardens in the waste pipe at the rear due to the exhaust fan not drawing the heat away also check the filter by the fan as this helps.

Desert Rat
07-23-2015, 01:58 PM
allan & hotfuser,
Not exactly what I wanted to hear, but it is what it is. At least I have not dug into the wrong part of the
machine. Or have I ?
I haven't looked through the book for that stuff. But now that I think about it all the waste toner tubes
are are in the front.
Allan, any chance I could get a look at that tech letter? Looks like I'm in for a long day.

Thanks for your replies

DR

hotfuser
07-23-2015, 02:21 PM
allan & hotfuser,
Not exactly what I wanted to hear, but it is what it is. At least I have not dug into the wrong part of the
machine. Or have I ?
I haven't looked through the book for that stuff. But now that I think about it all the waste toner tubes
are are in the front.
Allan, any chance I could get a look at that tech letter? Looks like I'm in for a long day.

Thanks for your replies

DR

if you take the toners out of the machine and remove the horizontal bed you can see which toner tube is blocked. You may be able to vacuum it out after tapping it a bit. This job is a complete pig to do. I have wrote 10 of these machines off due to the hassle they cause.
Another thing to try is at the lower rear right hand side is to take the covers off and you will see two gears try rotating them with flatblade screwdriver during warm up as this sometimes releases the clogged toner.

Desert Rat
07-23-2015, 02:42 PM
hotfuser,
Sounds like the augers get their drive from the main drive system?
Correct?
Where is this gear located?
I already have the hdd out, is there a way to check this without
power?
Once I get to the drive section I guess I'll be able
to figure it out.

Thanks again

DR

allan
07-23-2015, 02:55 PM
I cant seem to find it. I never read it. I just winged it the first time.

hotfuser
07-23-2015, 02:59 PM
hotfuser,
Sounds like the augers get their drive from the main drive system?
Correct?
Where is this gear located?
I already have the hdd out, is there a way to check this without
power?
Once I get to the drive section I guess I'll be able
to figure it out.

Thanks again

DR

they do get the drive from the main drive but what happens is that the toner conveyance clogs causing the auger gears to jump.
from the lefthand side of the copier bottom corner take the cover off to expose the two auger gear by the rear of the waste box you will see that this is where the gears are jumping . this is a total strip down if that doesnt work and there is no info on how to do it.

copyrooks
07-23-2015, 04:04 PM
You might have already checked but try seeing if there is hardened toner on the transfer belt toner recycling. I have a customer I go to about every half year with this problem. The toner hardens and the machine makes a grinding noise. The customer barely uses the machine for copies and printing.

Desert Rat
07-23-2015, 08:31 PM
copyrook,
Thank you for that info. I will have a good look at the transfer belt cleaning assembly for toner rocks.
hot fuser thanks for the heads up on the location of the gears.
I am on site now and will check out the left side of the machine under the covers.

Thanks

DR

Desert Rat
07-23-2015, 08:46 PM
hotfuser,
I can see the gears that drive the waste toner box auger. I was able to turn the one way ccw about 1 turn then it stopped.
It would not turn cw at any time.
I guess I will have to take the main drive out to see whats going on.

DR

Desert Rat
07-23-2015, 09:27 PM
Ok, I have those two boards in front of the main drive motor out.
I can turn the main drive motor CW with out the noise but counter CCW
it will make the noise from the right side. I can see the auger gears turning
when I turn the motor CW. It has to be in that area.

DR

Desert Rat
07-23-2015, 11:17 PM
It is the waste toner auger. I have the main drive unit out and when I turn the big gear on the left as you face the back,
CCW it turns and so do the auger gears but turn it CW and the noise can be heard. This assembly turns that shaft that connects
to the waste toner auger on the other side of the machine. I removed the two easiest gears on the waste toner drive unit and turn
the big gear again and it turn fine in both direction but the waste toner gears bind up when turned one direction and turn free the other.

The filters on the left side of the machine were very dusty.
I think I'm gona put some of this back together before digging into the toner augers.
Any other advice would be appreciated.

DR

Desert Rat
07-24-2015, 08:40 PM
This is just pain nuts to build the machine around the waste toner auger.
Mr allan is that letter in the solutions?

I need some help on getting the horizontal bed out that the toners sit on.
I can see the toner ports for fresh toner, the black one looks to almost over
flowing.

DR

allan
07-24-2015, 09:09 PM
Our knowledge base is too new and does not contain much info on the C203 range. I had a case where the auger will break of completely making the drive seem normal. Its a bitch to get to.

Hansoon
07-25-2015, 08:21 AM
This is perhaps not a direct solution for your problem but we try to swap as much as possible C-203/253/353's for the next generation C-220, 280, 360 which are very cheap to get from the wholesalers these days.

The old generation became too problematic and costly to maintain. We are "blessed" in the past with all known and unknown possible issues with these machines except indeed, until now, the problem you have with that waste auger. Strangely we never had that yet but I promised myself, when it would occur, to shove that machine of a cliff personally.

IMHO the C-203 is not worth to spend a day or more working to solve the fault with the auger to be faced later on with one of the other possible annoying stinging issues.

Hans

Desert Rat
07-27-2015, 07:36 PM
Hans,
Thank you for that advice. I am trying to get the customer to go in that direction. A bhc220 sounds like the way to go.
I will look into that.
They will give me there old machine (in pieces) and I will try and repair it at home in my spare time. Then I will get rid of c351
I have now.
I also have a customer with the bhc252. He just put a fuser unit in it and it has a gouge on the roller in about 4 months time.
So now it jams when he runs his heavy coverage job. Sez he is going to get a desk top machine. I told him he may have
trouble running his heavy coverage job on that.
He want to give the machine to me so I have to get rid of it. May be I can sell it cheap.

DR

allan
07-27-2015, 08:18 PM
I will keep a C252 around just for fun. Its got this special slowness to it. Awesome machines!!
Turned a couple of C253's upside down ADF first on a trailer a couple of days ago. Got about $100 for 3 of them.
There is around ten C220/C280 machines in 2 office rooms.

Its the cheapest color machine to run. And the units is easy to rebuild.

Just yank that collection tube out, its good meditation.

Hansoon
07-28-2015, 05:42 AM
Yesterday I had indeed to shove a C-253 with only 140K off the cliff.............

Now my collection of possible ailments with this series is complete...... *sigh*

Hans

Desert Rat
07-28-2015, 01:46 PM
Hans,
Glad to hear you have closure. I too will have closure soon. I am offering my customer a choice between the BHC452 and the C360.
They said they wanted to look at a machine that would the work in the future should they add people.
They also are looking at an HP C5500 as a back up for 11X17 prints. So the engineers will have something for their drawings.

Hans, I see in your picture that mag roller shaft with the new style bearing/collar. Looks good.

See ya

DR

habik
09-02-2015, 06:29 PM
Just to give you idea if you haven't solved it yet :) here is a vid I made a while back. So far I have done 3 machines from which 2 were complete disassemble and with one I was lucky to vac out the compacted toner augers/hoppers and another 2 are waiting in the office should I have some "free" time :)

Good Luck

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qeTjSW-Styk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9FNwmMhxZ4

G

Desert Rat
09-03-2015, 05:02 AM
Habik,
Those videos are great. Should this happen again I may just do the whole job.
I ended up replacing that BHC203 with the BHC360. It seems to do well and the
customer likes it. We will use the rest of the BHC203 for parts.

Thanks again for posting those Utube videos

DR

dirham
11-19-2015, 02:08 AM
I just get this problem to...i have check many times, and i find the problem is toner yellow harden in tube betwen toner catritge and IU. I try to clear the tube many times and the problem stil came after 20 to 30 copies.At last i check that toner motor yellow to often turning. I try change tcr yellow value to -3. And the problem solved. I have try to print over 200 sheets. But i thing it is abnormal value, couse the value in minimum range. I am afraid this solution just temporary. I need advise to make this value back to normal. (Sorry for my english)

Desert Rat
11-19-2015, 01:32 PM
dirham,
I ended up replacing this machine with the next newer model. It would have taken to much time
and cost the customer to much to repair the problem. But I really wanted to do it just to say
I can.
Well, habik did just that, and he posted a video for us all to follow. That is the solution you seek.

I'm glad you posted this today because I am going out to a BHC360 with similar symptoms.
Has anyone seen this on the BHC360?

Thanks

DR

PS
I had no trouble understanding your English, it's good.

avecosat
11-19-2015, 05:31 PM
In this model the problem is the pipe in between the waste toner box and the transfer belt cleaning , is easy to disasemble from the front side of the copier with a single screw .

Clean the pipe and the transfer belt cleaning .

habik
11-19-2015, 07:11 PM
In this model the problem is the pipe in between the waste toner box and the transfer belt cleaning , is easy to disasemble from the front side of the copier with a single screw .

Clean the pipe and the transfer belt cleaning .

Excatly that! Waste box out and ITB out. Clean the ITB auger and check for operation (had once the auger snapped). Now you can remove the shutter between ITB and Waste Box.(1 screw from front) Use long nose pliers (easy removal and re-fitting) Make sure you get it in properly back or you might get called back.

Desert Rat
11-20-2015, 01:42 PM
Avecosat & Habik,
Thank you for the prompt reply. I did get out to that account. I did pretty much what you said. Pulled the ITB and the gear on the
cleaning assy would not turn. I cleaned it out and the spring loaded shutter so it would close with just the spring force.
I put my vacuum on the exit port of the part that dumps it into the box. Another company came out and said they replaced
the ITB assy. The customer said it got worse after that. That didn't make sense to me. That was about a month ago.
I'm not sure but that part just above the waste toner box, is there an augar in there? And it looks to be right under the
ITB shutter?

Thanks for the input.

DR

habik
11-20-2015, 02:18 PM
No auger inbetween waste box and ITB.
Its basically a shutter with 1 1/2" square vertical pipe that stops the waste to fall through when waste box is removed. The exhaust auger is on ITB only.

Sent from my iDon't believe in marketing device using Tapatalk

Desert Rat
11-20-2015, 03:23 PM
Thank you Habik,
That was the missing piece of my puzzle. I feel confident now that I have fixed the problem.

Thanks again

DR

Custom Search