PDA

View Full Version : Best MFPs for small print shop?

Custom Search

Synaux
07-30-2015, 01:30 AM
Question: What MFPs are suggested for a small-medium sized print shop?

I work for a company that has been in business for 20+ years but has been going through some growing pains with the transition of banking on copies and offset printing to predominately digital productions. This shop is in the market to spend up to 2.5k on a new machine (I have several wholesale contacts--so I can probably get something that normally costs around $5-7k with this budget).
So they are obviously looking for something used and probably cant quite get into a production level machine...yet. And in order to not skew this discussion I am not going to list any of my personal preferences.

Current Laser Printers Utilized: most production is done with konica office level equipment (c650s, 601s, and a c252 for backup). Other machines include a HP 9050 and a OKI 3640.
All these machines get the job done, but they are looking for an upgrade--especially something with stronger finishing options and able to run color envelopes without wrinkling the hell out of them. Obviously quality and cost of consumables are of high importance as well.

I am attempting to plan a multiple phase upgrade plan; therefore, suggestions for a mono and a color machine are appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Hewlett Slacker
07-30-2015, 02:03 AM
you looked at the new Hp S900 series yet?

Synaux
07-30-2015, 02:39 AM
you looked at the new Hp S900 series yet?

Thanks, those look neat, but I cannot even find one so they are probably outside the budget. Probably need to think a few years older.

Synaux
07-31-2015, 12:36 AM
Nothing else? I half expected to get too many suggestions of everyones favorite machine(s)...maybe I posted this in the wrong area?

Iowatech
07-31-2015, 04:03 AM
Well, you might try this forum to see if you get better results:
http://www.copytechnet.com/forums/business-talk/
Just for grins, you might look at used digital duplicators. While they stink at finishing and will only print one color at a time, if you are patient and thoughtful a duplicator will run envelopes all day with no problems. And for jobs that require twenty or more identical pieces, you can't beat the consumable costs and speed of printing.
I only work on Riso duplicators, and I'd recommend avoiding anything older than the Riso RZ line if OEM parts are something you value.
The machines themselves probably cost way more than you are ready to spend, though.

Custom Search