PDA

View Full Version : Scan to folder-setting up without a password

Custom Search

BabblingXombie
09-11-2015, 04:30 PM
Hi guys do you have to have a password for windows when you're setting up a folder on command center? Like say if someone doesn't want a windows password. Any help would be great.

tcook
09-11-2015, 04:47 PM
From my experience, yes, a password is necessary. Haven't been able to find a way around it.

wassem
09-11-2015, 05:31 PM
From my experience, yes, a password is necessary. Haven't been able to find a way around it.
this is a difficult question
in canon machines sometimes it requires user and password when using smb protocol to send file to a shared folder

and if not registered in windows it accepts any random user and password

and sometimes it force you to register a user and password and you should use them

darry1322
09-11-2015, 07:53 PM
Hi guys do you have to have a password for windows when you're setting up a folder on command center? Like say if someone doesn't want a windows password. Any help would be great.

I've had some that would work if the user didn't have a password assigned to their username. I just entered "password" in the password field of the address book.

Some systems worked without a password for awhile, but then required a valid password after a Windows update.

It depends mostly on the OS of the computer you are scanning to.

BabblingXombie
09-11-2015, 11:16 PM
Yeah that's what happened to me too. It would work on some os systems and some not.

Thanks Guys

Santander
09-24-2015, 01:31 AM
Prior to Windows 7 you could SMB scan to folder without a password. From Win 7 on a password is required period, no way around it.

KenB
09-24-2015, 01:39 AM
Prior to Windows 7 you could SMB scan to folder without a password. From Win 7 on a password is required period, no way around it.
Yep. Exactly right!

I remember with XP and earlier we often scanned to folder with no password.

We found no tweaks or adjustments in Windows 7 that would allow it.

It was a huge pain early on until we verified that passwords were required, regardless of the brand of MFP.

Reed
09-24-2015, 01:52 PM
Just create a separate user account for Scanner with the user name and password being "scans" . The end user will never log into this account therefore when they sign into their computer they won't have to use a password. Plus if any changes are made on the computer (i.e. a new user creating a password) you shouldn't have to worry about the customer calling you back and saying the copier isn't scanning anymore.

qbert69
09-24-2015, 02:40 PM
Just create a separate user account for Scanner with the user name and password being "scans" . The end user will never log into this account therefore when they sign into their computer they won't have to use a password. Plus if any changes are made on the computer (i.e. a new user creating a password) you shouldn't have to worry about the customer calling you back and saying the copier isn't scanning anymore.

Reed is Spot On!...just create a secondary user for the MFP with a password!...works even if main user doesn't want/need a password!

I have always created a secondary account for the MFP. REASON--If the user is in a corporate environment and is required to change their password frequently, it won't affect the MFP login. Additionally, if it is a domain controlled user/password system, have the IT department create an account SPECIFICALLY for the MFP!...then it can login to drop the files as needed on whatever machine!...this would be an account for the MFP that doesn't change name or password--it won't expire!

:cool:

MadCityCopy
09-24-2015, 03:59 PM
Set up the Kyocera Scanner File Utility.

Otherwise your settings up a dummy account that never has to be accessed or adjusted. Just uses to authenticate.

Reed
09-24-2015, 04:47 PM
Kyocera only used the scan file utility on the earlier versions. From the Falcon III series ( 2560, 3060, 3050..)and newer the scan file utility is not used also windows is no longer supporting the utility so it is getting more difficult to set up the Falcon II older

KenB
09-24-2015, 06:02 PM
Reed is Spot On!...just create a secondary user for the MFP with a password!...works even if main user doesn't want/need a password!

I have always created a secondary account for the MFP. REASON--If the user is in a corporate environment and is required to change their password frequently, it won't affect the MFP login. Additionally, if it is a domain controlled user/password system, have the IT department create an account SPECIFICALLY for the MFP!...then it can login to drop the files as needed on whatever machine!...this would be an account for the MFP that doesn't change name or password--it won't expire!

:cool:

I've had a lot of "smarter than thou" IT managers who won't allow non-expiring passwords, even for service accounts.

Just had a government office do that recently. The max length they could give us for the service account was one year. Not for scan to folder per se, but rather a fax server.

I can almost guarantee they will be calling in a panic when their faxing stops.

qbert69
09-28-2015, 07:20 PM
I've had a lot of "smarter than thou" IT managers who won't allow non-expiring passwords, even for service accounts.

Just had a government office do that recently. The max length they could give us for the service account was one year. Not for scan to folder per se, but rather a fax server.

I can almost guarantee they will be calling in a panic when their faxing stops.

I wouldn't put up with that kind of sh!t!!!...If they cannot make a non-expiring password for the MFP scan to folder service account, they're SOL! IMO, I am not their IT admin and I don't get paid to do so!...if they have it in their thick heads that they "have to" change the password(s) for the service account(s), they sure as damn well better learn to do it on the MFP themselves!!!

:mad:

Custom Search