PDA

View Full Version : Wich one 2 buy - CF8050 or C350?

Custom Search

kanini
06-09-2008, 05:01 PM
Hi! I'm going to buy another used KonicaMinolta since I'm very impressed with the CF3102 I'm now using. I have two machines to choose from, CF8050 (around 400k copies) and C350 (around 100k copies). The C350 is just somewhat more expensive, so the price doesn't matter.

We sell copies and printouts on demand, so I was a bit interested in the 8050 because of the speed and more "production" type of machine (and sturdier folder finisher), but since I didn't found much information about it on the web and my local service guy said he'd never heard about the model in Finland(?), I was a bit scared off... The 350 is more like the CF3102 that we have.

Now, do YOU know anything about the CF8050 or do you have any suggestions, feel free to comment! Anything at all is appreciated! I know quite a lot about the 3102 and the 350, so if you have anything on the 8050 it would be great!
Thanks a lot! Have a nice summer!

_SuabE_
06-09-2008, 05:15 PM
Go for CF8050!:)

NotByChoice
06-09-2008, 05:31 PM
We have a C351 with 500,000 copies. It has been problematic since it went over 400,000. It still works great under low usage but that's about it. These days if we put a couple thousand copies on it in one day it typically breaks down.

kanini
06-09-2008, 08:09 PM
Thanks a lot for the comments, great! Perhaps I'll give the 8050 a try then... How is it, does anybody know if it's almost the same machine as the C500 model? It uses the same toner/supplies it seems... :rolleyes:

JSC
06-09-2008, 08:44 PM
The CF8050 is the same as a C500, do you know what Rip comes with the CF8050?
Personally from an engineers point of veiw if the C350 comes with a Fiery i'd go with that.

kanini
06-09-2008, 09:45 PM
Hi! Thanks a lot for your reply JSC, I was wondering about that one. Both machines comes with the Fiery RIP (unfortunately only the built-in/integrated one, is it called "piggyback?"), so I guess you would suggest the C350 then? The seller is also saying that it's a good and maybe better choice, I don't really know why?!? I think it could be more adjustments need to be made and so on, on the 8050/C500, the C350 is more straight forward, or?

One final issue I'm thinking about is the color matching/accuracy, could you say that it's easier to get somewhat accurate/correct color on one machine or another of these two given that it's the built-in Fiery RIP:s and not any coloritmeter etc. involved? Thanks a lot for all the answeres, keep comments coming if you come to think of anything else! I think it helps a lot in my decision to hear from you! =) It's hard to decide when price and everything else is quite similar (such as the saddle-stich finisher and RIP).

wagon
06-09-2008, 10:06 PM
I would go for the C350 - less labour intensive maintainance and it is basically a 'hotted up' CF3102 so your tech will know his / her way around it without too much trouble.

stacyrf
06-10-2008, 12:47 AM
Ok one thing about the c350. If it only has the integrated print controller, you will be unable to use Mac machines with it. Of course if you do not have macs this will not be a problem. If you do have a mac, you will need the external "piggyback" controller IC-401 for the C350 to work.

laserman06
06-10-2008, 03:07 AM
Personally, I work on both models. It is true the the 8050/C500 are more labor intensive, but if they are set up correctly and well maintained they are a work horse. I prefer the C500 out of all of them. Your service tech needs to be well trained on them. Knowing how to do all the adjustments, is very important.

The C500 is an 8050 with modifications and improvements from the 8050. They do not use the same developer or toner. So the supplies are not interchangable.

I also do like the C350, but for a lower volume account that is only interested in business color. That is what Konica markets it as.

So again depending on what your customer wants and your needs are..

Just my .02 cents for what it is worth.

kanini
06-10-2008, 08:44 AM
Hi all! Thanks a lot for your fast and interesting replies! Hm, seems like it's both suggestions here. I would like to ask you laserman (or anyone else) if the set up on the 8050 is extremely difficult, or if it's possible to manage it with tryouts and a lot of patience? I'm doing the service myself on the CF3102 and that is no problem at all (of course it's easy to work on), so at least I'll try to do the service and set-up myself since I think it's interesting and fun to see if I manage... =) I am able to get the copiers for little money, so not that much harm if it's not working out. I am using the copiers/printers for my side business, but sometimes I do larger runs, and the 8050 seems more interesting right now with the 3-fold finisher and SRA3 possibilities, especially since I already have the CF3102 for shorter runs.

Do you think the supplies and spare parts for this 8050 model will still be available for some years to come, if it's replaced by the C500 and newer machines and they can't use the same toner/drums etc.?
Thanks again very much for your valuable answeres in this great forum!

kanini
06-13-2008, 07:19 PM
So I went for the Konica Minolta CF8050 after all. The seller said it could probably need a proper setup when it has been transported, and I'm first gonna try to make the set up (and perhaps some cleaning) myself. I'll get the technical service manual from the seller also.
Anything special in particular that applies to the 8050/C500/CF5001 that I would be good off knowing...? Have done services on the CF3102 earlier, but maybe there's some special tricks with the 8050? Thanks a lot again all of you who answered, this is a great forum! :)

laserman06
06-14-2008, 01:01 AM
If you can get a copy of the theory of operations to go along with the service manual, might help. Then again, it might put you to sleep if you have insomnia.:)

Also the users manuals would be nice. My only advice is to get to know the adjustments. If you have any questions I will try to help all that I can.

kanini
06-15-2008, 09:35 AM
Thank you laserman! I already have the users manual in electronic format (even downloaded the driver to have a look at the settings, wich seems very similar to the CF3102, apart from more nice features! =) and will also get the hard copy with the machine. I'm going to try to get it up and running myself at first when I get it, and then if I stumble onto something very strange I'll get back in touch. I think it's quite fun to do some services myself (especially when they are successful!), and since I buy KM original spare parts and consumables from my KM dealer nearby, I'm not stealing his profit either. :D
Have a nice summer!

Juxta5
07-23-2008, 01:22 AM
You can buy your OEM supplies off of Ebay too. You can find toner, developer, and PM kits for 100K and 200K. JustManuals.com has a Konica 8050 service manual (original) that can be downloaded as a PDF at a VERY reasonable cost as well. Then you can just keep it on your computer for reference. The PDF is bookmarked and you can tab directly to Error codes, maintenance or parts with OEM numbers. With the manual, doing a PM is very easy especially if you've worked on equipment before. I personally love the 8050 model.

kanini
07-23-2008, 07:39 AM
Hi Juxta5, thank you for your reply! I have found some OEM supplies on the net also, but I get very good discounts from my KM dealer, so I think I'll buy the most from him. I got the original KM service manual from the seller who had it and it has helped me out a lot on the machine, since it is a bit different from the machines I've worked on earlier. I got it running recently, hadn't had time to work on it properly until now. Changed the yellow developer and now it's running well.

One thing though, I seem to get quite dark printouts (haven't printed many pages yet, maybe 40 pages or so), I need to use "toner save" mode to get a bit closer to "normal" output, but still some of the colours are darker than on other machines. It seems just as it puts too much toner on it, especially black. It also gives a bit of dirty background, so there's something that isn't right adjusted. I have runned the auto color reg., the automatic gamma adj., the gamma offset adj., gamma sensor adj., but it seems as I can't get rid of it. Maybe I need to run the adjustments again? Is it of any use to reset the data/settings before doing the adjustments, haven't done that?

I also set the switches 24-3 and 24-2 to correction not made, since it gave SC29-11 error code sometimes, could I run it with this disabled, or is this affecting the quality in the way described? Haven't noticed any difference with the correction on or off.

Thanks a lot! Have a nice week!

Juxta5
07-23-2008, 07:23 PM
Was the "dirty background" on the test pattern that was output by the gamma adjustment (mode 36)? Also, my favorite setting while using the gamma adjustment results in the area between the two gray vertical lines (at upper left) being totally blank and the CMYK boxes just to the right having about an equal 2% screen of color in each of them. It isn't really until about the 3rd box to the right (of the vertical gray lines) that I can start to make out a box shape. None of the CMYK boxes on my gamma adjustment printouts show 100% color -- the very last vertical row of CMYK at the right is only about 10%. The result... VERY beautiful colors with fine detail. Though, I gotta admit it takes a long time to adjust all 6 screens (LS200, LS150, DS200, etc.).

kanini
07-23-2008, 08:47 PM
Thanks for the tip juxta5, I'll have to really take time to do the settings properly and probably adjust it brighter for the things you said on the test patterns, thank you very much for the tip! Yes, the background occurs also on the test page.

I've just looked at the vertical CMYK boxes on the left side of the page (where they get brighter to the bottom of the page), and tried to adjust them so that the boxes between the grey lines was bright but visible and even, but now I realize that there's probably more to check on the page to get a good adjustment... :o

Thanks again, very helpful comment! Have a nice day!

Dark Knight
07-23-2008, 09:10 PM
Why buy another used machine ? There are some really great deals on new kit while the global economy has slowed. With a bit of research you would pay a little more but recover your investment more quickly. This is because the new Bizhub C253/353/451 all have longer service intervals than the models they have replaced. This all adds up to more cost efficiency in the longer term. Take for instance a new C253 complete with DF611 doc feeder and cabinet - Here in the UK you can expect to pay around 4761.14 Euro plus tax. Shipping would of course be additional to this cost. PM me if you need further help.

kanini
07-24-2008, 07:54 AM
Hi Dark Knight! Yes, a new machine is of course the best option, but I kind of fancy servicing machines myself on my spare time and I got hold of the CF8050/5001 for a really, really low price (even if I do all the PM:s drums, developers and supplies etc., I wouldn't be even close to a new one), and since I think it's a more solid machine, fast (51 ppm), and with the trifold finisher, I thought it was a better idea. I don't print that much and I got other machines to run if I get in a hurry. The 8050 now runs great though, just need to adjust it a bit more to get the colours 100% right.

I got an offer from the local Canon dealer (after a looong wait), but their price per copy was up in the clouds (about what I pay if I go to a local print shop with no discount, so why buy a machine then?), and then the purchasing price of the machine was in my opinion quite high also (they offered a package with servicing etc. included). I also asked them for a used one in the same league as the CF3102 at first, but the seller didn't bother getting back to me even after asking a few times, so if they don't bother then I shouldn't be wasting their time(?) and instead stick to the Konica Minolta since I'm very happy with that brand...:p

kanini
08-11-2008, 06:43 PM
Hi again!
Now I have a tricky question; when printing as normal the print gives a dirty background that's very even black dust on the whole page. I've tried to adjust the gamma and reset it and adjust again but no luck. BUT when I print with "gloss" mode in the driver the background is gone and the colours are great! Of course I could use the gloss mode all the time, but why is it like that? And is there any tips on getting rid of the background by adjusting? And Juxta5, I've tried to adjust the gamma adjustment very bright, but that doesn't seem to affect the background at all? Thanks very much! I enclose the pics from the printouts with dirty background, doesn't show that good but you can see the difference from a white paper on the config page.

johnj_01201
05-06-2009, 07:14 PM
You have the Fiery print server which changes everything. Please apply all of the updates (in order). You can do this the old way or click the link in the Fiery print driver (install from Fiery's web site). Also, do you have the correct print driver (install from the web tools) installed? After doing all of the updates and it still does it, you might want to run the copier and then fiery calibrations over again.

Quick question, on this machine- when you go to the copiers web interface does it flash "setup warning" and an Explanation Mark on the top of the page where it shows the copier status (i.e. low paper)?

John

copyplus
07-17-2009, 01:07 AM
I recently bought both the machines. I was able to set up the c350 and network. But, I could not be able to network c8050. I can ping the network and it shows the IP address but it does not print a test page. I downloaded the driver from Konica/Minolta website for windows xp and installed and uninstalled few times but still it is not working. Is there a special way to set up the network on this machine? Also I got two plate to hook up the sorter with the machine but I don't know where to screw them. I called the mechanic but he did not know this machine. Is there anyone who can email me the instructions or sketch or service manual and service handbook? As the other people gave their views about the machines, I do believe that c350 is for the shorter run whereas the 8050 is a workhorse. My email is print_post@hotmail.com. I will appreciate the gesture. thanks

redhawkpath
07-17-2009, 01:41 AM
Ok

I work on both and they are two totally different copiers.

The 8050 is the generation before the c500. It is a production copier and has a fiery controller. If there are problems with quality of output, you will have to call a pro to work on it. They have a 100k pm. Pms could run upwards of 1000 dollars just for the parts. They were also not known to be very reliable.

350. Business color. Usually did not have a fiery and yes you can use a mac with the standard controller. There is no pm cycle for this copier as all the parts are usually very easy to replace. Were there some bad ones, yes... but it is usually a very good copier.

NotByChoice
07-17-2009, 02:17 PM
We have a C351 with 500,000 copies. It has been problematic since it went over 400,000. It still works great under low usage but that's about it. These days if we put a couple thousand copies on it in one day it typically breaks down.

It's been a year since that post I made (the one I'm quoting) and around the time I made that post I replaced all the replaceable parts and had a tech come in and do all the adjustments and alignments and it has been run a lot better.

It is now at 750,000+ copies which is about 20,000 per month since last year. It's still going strong with just the minor issues that all copiers have. And we've probably saved around $15,000 during the year by not having a service contract.

My only issue with the C351 now is that Konica Minolta does not offer recycling for the parts/IU's/toner. Whereas HP does. And HP's are cheaper to run.

Juxta5
07-17-2009, 05:24 PM
I recently bought both the machines. I was able to set up the c350 and network. But, I could not be able to network c8050. I can ping the network and it shows the IP address but it does not print a test page.

What I do is change the IP address on the machine to be in sequence with my business network. Then I go into Print Manager in XP, highlight the printer, go to Properties, Ports, Configure Port then manually input the correct IP address.. ie:

Port Settings:
Port Name: 192.000.7.103
Printer IP Address: 192.000.7.103

Technically I could put whatever I want in the port name, but I've noticed that the XP PS printer driver works best if I just put the IP in there.. wierd. :P

You will run into trouble from time to time if you are running DHCP... the network hub can & will re-assign your IP addresses on occasion so you won't be able to print. So I would set up a static network.

copyplus
07-18-2009, 01:23 AM
I tried to change the IP address on the machine which is now 192.168.2.30 and I changed that in the properties port config to same as on the machine. The port name still shows 192.168.2.90 (the previous IP address). Did not work. I also tried to download another driver and it still did not work.
Then I deleted the printed and driver and downloaded a new driver from konica website:
software drivers/printer drivers/konica drivers/color print systems/8050 IP901, 921/IP 901/windows/3fold and booklet/ 20aupt1du4r6s1.exe (http://207.194.48.151/intranet2/view.php?sess=0&action=file_details&id=3400&parent=2660&expand=1&order=name&sortname=ASC)
add new printer/tcpip port 192.168.2.30 have disk and driver file. still no luck.
on the machine i changed the dns to 64.59.144.16 and 64.59.144.17 (my internet providers dns address). I did not enter any domain name which is blank. host name is konic8050.
My router gateway is 192.168.2.1.
May be I am doing some wrong settings. If you have a fax number I can fax the machine's configuration to you.
I have EFI fiery system 5.5e version 1.1. Fiery S300 50C-K v1.1
According to the manual I received with the machine (I am not sure if this is the original manual that came with the machine) Its IP901. Thanks for your time.

dudley
07-18-2009, 02:24 PM
You have not said what controller your have, is it the one in the back of the machine or a stand alone blue computer?

Some of the Fiery controllers have 2 network ports and will not print if you are using the wrong one, we usually put a dummy rj45 end in the one that is not to be used

In fiery setup under server setup, you will find something like "no account printing" turn that on. just in case there are accounts setup on the copier.

While you are in there, check under network settings, that port 9100 is turned on as this is the default port for printing from windows

Can you print the configuration page from the Fiery? if so post it and we can see whats setup correctly

copyplus
07-21-2009, 10:56 PM
Thanks DUDLEY
With your help I was able to setup the network. It is working fine. It was just the service setup and port was off.
Now I have to hookup the sorter with the machine. I have got two metal plates with the machine and don't know where to hook them up. I will appreciate if you or someone would kindly let me know to install these plates. If someone have drawings/or a service manual, please email me at print_post@hotmail.com.
Thanks
file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Admin/Desktop/IMG_0104.JPG

kanini
07-22-2009, 12:06 AM
Just wanted to chunk in how thing's been going for me. I had a troublesome start getting to know the 8050 inside out, but today I've learned the do's and don'ts of the machine. I did have to change developers and so on... It runs really great and has a great build quality and really is a workhorse. Compared to the Bizhub:s it's much more sturdy and as pointed out more of a production machine. I really think the output is really great and it's quite fast. Of course there is newer machines coming all the time and an upgrade may be in sight but for now it's ticking out great output so it stays...

hachetman
07-22-2009, 03:15 AM
I have worked on both modles for 4 years now the 8050 was marketed by Ikon hence developer and toner is not the same as the c500, all other parts are the same, i would have to agree that the 8050 C500 are very labor intense but if your tech is good wow the final prouct this box is capable of, (productions box) The C350 is great for office color with good qualty paper you should be able to proudce decent copies/Prints
It all depends on your needs!
the C8050 dose cost more to maintain and operate

dudley
07-23-2009, 01:37 AM
the brackets go on the left side of the machine and they are used to hook the sorter on with, The large bracket goes on the bottom and the other up above exit area. You then position the sorter in place but angled away from the the fron so you can hook up the wires(make sure the copier is off and unplugged or you WILL fry boards. Once the wires are hooked up those copper fingers on the brackets slide into cutouts on the sorter frame then screws are used to attach the front of the sorted to the brackets.

Basically you have to position the sorter slightly forward then get the fingers to go into the sorter frame, then push rearward to latch them together, There are 2 sloted holes inside the front door, line them up with the threaded holes in the mount brackets and screw them together.

MAKE SURE THE POWER IS OFF AND UNPLUGGED(second warning)

copyplus
07-23-2009, 06:40 PM
Hi Dudley
I have screwed those two metal metal plates one at top and one at bottom of the left side of the machine, see attached image. If this is ok, please let me know. The sorter will be basically slided into the fingers of these metal plates by pushing it backward. There are 3 other screws on the bottom plate, they are screwed on the plate, but I don't know if they will be screwed to something else. thanks
file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Admin/Desktop/IMG_0105.JPGfile:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Admin/Desktop/IMG_0105.JPGfile:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Admin/Desktop/IMG_0105.JPG

dudley
07-24-2009, 01:20 AM
You shouldn't need those screws but they may be holding the bracket together. The brackets are in the right place so now hook up the connectors and slide onto the fingers and attach the front screws and you are done.

Also after you have it attached, go into your print driver and setup the options list to include that finisher

copyplus
07-28-2009, 06:08 PM
Hi Dudley
Thanks. With your great help I was able to set up network and hooked up my sorter. Earlier I called the mechanic and he could not hook up the sorter because he had not worked on this machine before.
I have another posting on Toshiba Estudio 80 forum for LCF problem. One of the members helped me to release the LCF but it is still giving me problem. I posted back on and no reponse yet. Maybe you or someone else can help me on this. I have already spent almost $500 on two different technicians who could not figure out the problem. One of them said the logic boards need to be changed and the other said that this machine is too old and the parts are not available and he cannot do anything.
Thanks to all who help others on this forum.

dudley
07-29-2009, 12:38 AM
sorry, can't help you on the toshiba, never worked on one, just KM machines

copyplus
07-29-2009, 10:28 PM
My C350 is giving me more green in printing. I tried to caliberate the colors but I don't know how to do it. I just ran calibration couple of time from the menu but it did not work. any suggestion?
thanks

Custom Search