PDA

View Full Version : FS-534 alignment plate wearing.

Custom Search

MVPunisher
11-16-2015, 04:47 PM
So I remember this being an issue on the c652 series but it took a long time for it to happen.

On these 754e series ( we have a lot of them) the paper is literally cutting grooves into the alignement plates causing me to have to replace them very frequently.

I keep them stocked at all times but this is getting out of control at the pace they wear....any suggestions? Konicas cheap plastic cant even handle some paper...

habik
11-16-2015, 09:09 PM
So I remember this being an issue on the c652 series but it took a long time for it to happen.

On these 754e series ( we have a lot of them) the paper is literally cutting grooves into the alignement plates causing me to have to replace them very frequently.

I keep them stocked at all times but this is getting out of control at the pace they wear....any suggestions? Konicas cheap plastic cant even handle some paper...

Have you got any pictures?

blackcat4866
11-16-2015, 11:24 PM
They seem to last around 300K before the jamming gets really bothersome.
How about this?:

I've been considering using a wood milling bit and a router table to remove 0.018" of plastic from the plastic surface between the metal plates, then cut out a piece of 26 gauge galvanized steel to fit, and adhering it with two sided carpet tape or contact cement. Then I would cut a 15mm x 95mm strip of 26 gauge steel, round the corners, form it to match the contours of the top, and adhere it with two sided carpet tape or contact cement.

There was a Sharp fax FO-4400 that used to cut up the paper tray guides this way, and the 26 gauge galvanized steel plate was a lifetime fix.

I haven't tried it yet. It will take some time and a couple jigs to set up the router table just right to remove only 0.018" of plastic.
The more I think about it ... 0.030" of additional thickness between the regulating plates is negligible. Paper cut width varies more than that. Just stick it right on the existing surface. I think I'll try that tonight. Pictures later.
=^..^=

Ok, here's the pix. It looks pretty durable to me:

MVPunisher
11-17-2015, 03:32 PM
Impressive!

fishleg
11-18-2015, 07:59 AM
How many copies to do that sort of wear?

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

blackcat4866
11-18-2015, 05:18 PM
How many copies to do that sort of wear?

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

It starts around 100K, and becomes unmanageable around 300K.
=^..^=

splblazer91
11-18-2015, 10:42 PM
If you work for KM direct please log an SSD ticket for this issue and save your used alignment plates that show wear. They need to be sent back as well to prove this is a common issue.

habik
11-19-2015, 09:23 AM
They seem to last around 300K before the jamming gets really bothersome.
How about this?:

I've been considering using a wood milling bit and a router table to remove 0.018" of plastic from the plastic surface between the metal plates, then cut out a piece of 26 gauge galvanized steel to fit, and adhering it with two sided carpet tape or contact cement. Then I would cut a 15mm x 95mm strip of 26 gauge steel, round the corners, form it to match the contours of the top, and adhere it with two sided carpet tape or contact cement.

There was a Sharp fax FO-4400 that used to cut up the paper tray guides this way, and the 26 gauge galvanized steel plate was a lifetime fix.

I haven't tried it yet. It will take some time and a couple jigs to set up the router table just right to remove only 0.018" of plastic.
The more I think about it ... 0.030" of additional thickness between the regulating plates is negligible. Paper cut width varies more than that. Just stick it right on the existing surface. I think I'll try that tonight. Pictures later.
=^..^=

Ok, here's the pix. It looks pretty durable to me:

Your setup can be used for A3 tray guides on 8000i machines as that gets to around a 800k-1.2m when it gets irritating to or replacing the tray guides.

Like your approach to make things PROPER.

MVPunisher
11-19-2015, 08:54 PM
Blackcat, You should make about 10 sets of them and sell them to us. Better than the "Thousands of dollars" we will spend on these plates at this pace.

We should not have to "send" them to Konica. Document and/or take pictures OK but send them. Nah.

blackcat4866
11-20-2015, 12:12 AM
Your setup can be used for A3 tray guides on 8000i machines as that gets to around a 800k-1.2m when it gets irritating to or replacing the tray guides.

Like your approach to make things PROPER.

Pix? Better yet, habik, send me some worn ones and I'll send you back the mod.

habik
11-20-2015, 06:44 AM
No pix. Binned!

Sent from my iDon't believe in marketing device using Tapatalk

BR549
11-21-2015, 03:01 AM
I also had this problem on a C754e/FS534 after machine was only 4 months old. I replaced the alignment plates to fix it but, 4 months later it was doing it again. It cuts those grooves because the way the paper lines up perfectly with those plates. So I adjusted the mechanical centering on each paper tray (including the external LCT) so the paper is closer to rear of machine until problem goes away then adjust centering in ser mode to realign image on paper. Most trays only needed 2mm but some needed 5. That was 2 months ago and i haven't heard back. I didn't need to replace the plates again.

splblazer91
11-23-2015, 02:41 AM
I also had this problem on a C754e/FS534 after machine was only 4 months old. I replaced the alignment plates to fix it but, 4 months later it was doing it again. It cuts those grooves because the way the paper lines up perfectly with those plates. So I adjusted the mechanical centering on each paper tray (including the external LCT) so the paper is closer to rear of machine until problem goes away then adjust centering in ser mode to realign image on paper. Most trays only needed 2mm but some needed 5. That was 2 months ago and i haven't heard back. I didn't need to replace the plates again.

I can see this working til another tech tries to work on the machine and everything gets out of whack when you have 2 techs doing adjustments.

habik
11-23-2015, 07:36 AM

Nice touch BR549!

Thanks.

Sent from my iDon't believe in marketing device using Tapatalk

blackcat4866
01-23-2016, 02:12 AM
I've started the first field trial. This is the second replacement set at 855K. I had filed them smooth twice along the way. This machine prints only LTR from all trays, and all outputs to the elevator tray. Here is what it looks like:

=^..^=

blackcat4866
04-01-2016, 12:09 AM
I have a little more information on this topic. The metal plates are holding up fine at 500K, no paper cuts of any sort. I did see the machine recently for something similar though. The pages were skewing and piling up in the stapling tray because one of the eject belts had jumped several teeth. The first set usually ejects, but the second skews, and the third piles up upon the second set. I wish there was a simple way to re-align the eject belts, but ultimately the center eject belt assembly must be out of the finisher to get it re-aligned.

The paper jam code is primarily J7218, but also J7217, J7221, and J7219. The adjoining machine got the mylar modification is a partial success, but not good enough for me. The regulating plates survive OK, but the mylar still gets cut up at 300K, and requires just as much work to change the mylar. The eject belts were also out of time. This is something I'm going to have to keep a closer eye on. I don't know which causes which, or perhaps they are totally unrelated, just close proximity.

=^..^=

JR2ALTA
04-01-2016, 02:28 AM
I wish there was a simple way to re-align the eject belts, but ultimately the center eject belt assembly must be out of the finisher to get it re-aligned.

You just reach in, grab the lazy belt and pull it forward. Done it several times, doesn't hurt anything.

srvctec
04-01-2016, 04:40 AM
You just reach in, grab the lazy belt and pull it forward. Done it several times, doesn't hurt anything.
That's exactly what I do.

jwrycza
04-07-2016, 02:25 AM
I have repaired a few of these by smoothing them off with a scotch brite pad and using mylar material with adhesive to stick to the guides. Go to service mode and adjust the finisher guides .5mm and it usually does the trick!

allan
02-07-2017, 06:48 PM
I've started the first field trial. This is the second replacement set at 855K. I had filed them smooth twice along the way. This machine prints only LTR from all trays, and all outputs to the elevator tray. Here is what it looks like:

=^..^=

Well could not believe the way the paper would cut into the guide. Can not even see the grove like 3mm deep cut into the plastic. I well now i need to do the mod on a couple of these.

CraigW
02-07-2017, 07:47 PM
Setup a couple of 534s a while back......those plates now have a metal surface to prevent the cutting in.

BR549
02-08-2017, 12:49 AM
I have not had any more issues with the one I described fixing 15 months ago in this thread. Just adjusted it.

ronny2502
01-23-2022, 05:57 PM
Hi,

this issue is still existing in 2022 with a bizhub PRO C754e with FS-534SD (TPC: 1.500.000 / 7 yo) with exactly this jam (​J7221).

Thanks for the information in this thread!

Ro

blackcat4866
10-01-2022, 09:35 PM
Just an update on this topic: Konica Minolta updated the regulating plates on the FS-534 to the newer style used on the FS536 with metal plates. The main problem with that is when I order the replacements, our parts department substitutes old or new style parts randomly, depending on what's on the shelf. So of the 6 or 8 items ~1/2 of them will be old style, ~1/2 new style. Old and new style parts are for the most part incompatible.

After the first few tries at ordering, I just made up my own metal plates and adhered them to the regulating plates with contact cement. I never did deplete the mixed parts stock. I imagine someday an order will arrive with all new style parts. =^..^=

femaster
10-02-2022, 02:36 AM
Just an update on this topic: Konica Minolta updated the regulating plates on the FS-534 to the newer style used on the FS536 with metal plates. The main problem with that is when I order the replacements, our parts department substitutes old or new style parts randomly, depending on what's on the shelf. So of the 6 or 8 items ~1/2 of them will be old style, ~1/2 new style. Old and new style parts are for the most part incompatible.

After the first few tries at ordering, I just made up my own metal plates and adhered them to the regulating plates with contact cement. I never did deplete the mixed parts stock. I imagine someday an order will arrive with all new style parts. =^..^=

Maybe your parts department should just throw out the old ones. Why keep replacing a current problem with a future problem? Doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

blackcat4866
10-02-2022, 03:07 AM
Maybe your parts department should just throw out the old ones. Why keep replacing a current problem with a future problem? Doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

hmmmmm, logic. Yes, we should try that. =^..^=

Custom Search