PDA

View Full Version : Bizhub hard drives. What do you use?

Custom Search

Taminol
11-25-2015, 10:05 PM
Hi Guys,

We have spates of hard drives failing and KM are very expensive for an HGST 320gb HDD, almost 4 times the price of anyone else!
I've used £50 WD Blue drives with no problems, even mismatched capacity with no hiccups.
What's everyone else doing?
Any recommendations or ones to avoid?

Thanks
Tam

Synaux
11-26-2015, 01:19 AM
I have always had a backup or spare so I never used anything other than the drives the KM uses.

However, I am going to make it a point sometime in the near future to see if one of my SSD drives works--less heat, no moving parts and about 100x faster.

allan
11-26-2015, 05:54 PM
Also mixed sizes. And the drives comes from the local PC store. Double sided tape the 3M stuff is good for sticking the smaller laptop drives without needing the installation kit. Just solder a connector from a bad power supply straight onto the MFPB.

Taminol
12-01-2015, 04:24 PM
Yeah, it would be good to know if an SSD being used as the HDD would work or not.
I understand that when you activate Secure Print the HDD becomes locked to the MFPB.

No recommendations for Western Digital, or Seagate or whatever else is out there?

allan
12-01-2015, 04:45 PM
I understand that when you activate Secure Print the HDD becomes locked to the MFPB.

Nothing a format cant fix.

I don't think the machines can process raster data fast enough for a SSD to make sense.

Synaux
12-01-2015, 07:37 PM
Yeah, it would be good to know if an SSD being used as the HDD would work or not.

No recommendations for Western Digital, or Seagate or whatever else is out there?

I do computer repair as well and have always gone with WD. I bought 6x 2tb Hitachi's a few years ago all at the same time and they all cratered (or SMART reporting errors) within 6 months. Almost makes me want to get all conspiratorial on Hitachi's ass and their out of warranty products. I have several old 200gb Maxtor drives that just wont die. That said, it is mostly personal preference and what stats you want out of the HDD. For SSD drives, I like the Samsung.

Synaux
12-01-2015, 07:38 PM
Nothing a format cant fix.

I don't think the machines can process raster data fast enough for a SSD to make sense.

Agreed, but they are getting pretty cheap and spare SSDs are starting to show up nowadays.

Mr. Joshua
12-04-2015, 01:14 AM
I always go with WD when I have a choice.

And yes, we always use computer store drives.

Custom Search