PDA

View Full Version : Samsung-General Questions

Custom Search

mojorolla
01-07-2016, 02:40 AM
Good evening everyone.
My dealership is looking at the Samsung line. I was just looking for some feedback in general on the product. I have heard that the 1st gen machines were "not so great" but I hear the 2nd gen is much better. The network and IT side is very nice but, from a service point of view, I want to know how well do they run? How is the maintenance and the overall cost? Doc feeders that jam constantly, models to avoid, poorly designed fusers, known issues, etc....

I have had a X7400 to play with for the past few weeks. The IT and network side is very cool and the Android interface is familiar. The tablet on the front is also cool. I also like all the paper type settings available.
However, I have noticed a lag in the touch panel, a few print lockups, and some ghosting / residual image from the fuser.

Any and all thoughts are appreciated.

:)

dan7777
01-07-2016, 05:23 PM
Good evening everyone.
My dealership is looking at the Samsung line. I was just looking for some feedback in general on the product. I have heard that the 1st gen machines were "not so great" but I hear the 2nd gen is much better. The network and IT side is very nice but, from a service point of view, I want to know how well do they run? How is the maintenance and the overall cost? Doc feeders that jam constantly, models to avoid, poorly designed fusers, known issues, etc....

I have had a X7400 to play with for the past few weeks. The IT and network side is very cool and the Android interface is familiar. The tablet on the front is also cool. I also like all the paper type settings available.
However, I have noticed a lag in the touch panel, a few print lockups, and some ghosting / residual image from the fuser.

Any and all thoughts are appreciated.

All the techs should give high fives all around. Job security just increased! Every one will tell you to keep the firmware updated. The last glitch was when the daylight savings time changed the machines would random reboot or not work. Fix was to change the time/date. I do have one customer who loves their machine. Many machines returned and replaced with Canon. I felt better after going to school but when a board was changed everyone had problems. Seems the flat connectors have to go in perfect or reseated. We have had at least two connectors pull out the male end when disconnecting from board which means a new board. One which Samsung told us to recycle all the connectors to the board, I watched the guy do it and was glad it was not me. Also happened in one of the schools. I have never seen this before. After a couple of years the color ones seem to be dusting up a bunch and have not reached life on developers. My few machines seem to feed paper ok. I only have a handful but I hate to be blamed for machines. I told them I did not like them but they are selling them anyway. Pricing they are not cheap so the sales are spooked and don't offer them. But this is the job we choose to do!

blackcat4866
01-08-2016, 01:35 AM
My one recommendation is to skip doing warranty work on the desktop, Best Buy, low end devices.

#1: Those buyers naturally assume that they have a lifetime warranty for free service on all issues. There is a preliminary qualifying phone call that must be made to Samsung, which can take up to 45 minutes to complete. If you make that call you won't get paid for that time.

#2: When that phone call is done, if Samsung says "Yes it's covered" they may still not pay, requiring additional time and follow ups which you will not get paid for, and may not get any reimbursement at all.

So if you do, for example, a 1 hour service, you'll have an additional 2 hours of phone or web time submitting claims, and re-submitting claims before you get paid for the 1 hour. I concluded that at best, I broke even on warranty work.

If a person walked in with a warranty claim and had not made the phone call, I would collect a $50 deposit. If Samsung paid, I would refund that deposit. This solved the problem of $199 printers being abandoned, when the warranty was voided or Samsung wouldn't pay. It's the administration that's the biggest PITA. The actual service is not a big problem. =^..^=

mojorolla
01-08-2016, 04:57 AM
We are a canon dealership so we are looking to fill holes in their line with Samsungs. Thanks for the warranty warning.
I also took the panels off and was surprised how little is inside. Stepper motor drive and very few boards. I will have to take a look at the connector tomorrow.

Tonerbomb
01-09-2016, 04:40 PM
OK, It's been a couple years since I worked for a Sammy dealer, but I dealt with the sammy's for quite a while. Firmware and random weird issues, definitely. I actually did log captures that got sent back to Korea. The boxes were usually cheaply made. Connectivity is where they excelled. We did replace some of the sammy's with Savins after a couple months in the field. They were not a good fit for a customer that was used to one of the major brands. They do offer great sales incentives though. Overall I'm glad I don't deal with them anymore.

mojorolla
01-28-2016, 03:56 AM
How is the maintenance? Counter resets, alarms, do they stop dead in their tracks at PM time? Do they make maintenance intervals, can you stretch maintenance intervals?

Blackcat, I was talking to some else about the low-end warranty work and was told to "..avoid that like poison ivy."

ZOOTECH
01-28-2016, 04:48 AM
How is the maintenance? Counter resets, alarms, do they stop dead in their tracks at PM time? Do they make maintenance intervals, can you stretch maintenance intervals?

Blackcat, I was talking to some else about the low-end warranty work and was told to "..avoid that like poison ivy."

Got to agree with avoiding warranty work; the payback is minimal, especially the 'hoops' you have to traverse, when you have to use the GSPN site. :mad:

Tonerbomb
01-28-2016, 02:57 PM
Remember this about Samsung, They make great TV's and phones........................

Custom Search