PDA

View Full Version : Miscellaneous what chemicals are you using to clean one ways on KM units

Custom Search

jlowd
01-07-2016, 07:30 PM
I am looking to see what chemicals are working on KM one way bearings. We currently use Fedron but are looking for a lower cost alternative.

JasonMcDowell
03-27-2020, 11:56 PM
As for me, there are a lot of variants to prevent the mud then to remove it. For instance, Ereztech (https://ereztech.com/) uses special methods for custom synthesis to make the items preventing mud on screens of any type. Why not use it?

copyman
03-28-2020, 12:10 AM
We just use alcohol to clean oneways and scuff up the shaft with a scotch brite pad. lately I've just been replacing them when I replace the rollers but many of my fellow techs just clean them.

Stopped using Fedron years ago. Forget about the cost what about the techs health! That stuff is deadly!!!

Back in the day when we used it many times the customer would call service dept and tell us to never use that again in their office. Workers in office complained of headaches, etc.

femaster
03-28-2020, 01:54 AM
We just use alcohol to clean oneways and scuff up the shaft with a scotch brite pad.

Same here. scuff up shaft with scotchbrite pad, then 99.9% pure alcohol on a rag stuck over an appropriately size philips screwdriver and shove it into the oneway and then turn, turn, turn...

ZOOTECH
03-28-2020, 03:14 AM
snip...

Stopped using Fedron years ago. Forget about the cost what about the techs health! That stuff is deadly!!!

Backe in the day when we used it many times the customer would call service dept and tell us to never use that again in their office. Workers in office complained of headaches, etc.
Lost my sense of smell useing that platen cleaner Fedron, and I would have to take any cleaning outside in the parking lot. Loss of smell has a pro and con affect; pro - I don't smell those questionable origins, and con - I don't have the pleasure of a well made dish.😩

copyman
03-28-2020, 03:31 AM
Lost my sense of smell useing that platen cleaner Fedron, and I would have to take any cleaning outside in the parking lot. Loss of smell has a pro and con affect; pro - I don't smell those questionable origins, and con - I don't have the pleasure of a well made dish.��

Speaking of chemicals, us old time techs were exposed to so many chemicals 30-40 years ago. A few I remember is Sharp Pikle drum polish to polish Cadium drums which in itself is deadly and also a clear liquid (forgot name) to clean the fuser rollers on the SF-800 series, 811,820,etc. They would give you a large wooden stick and this liquid to clean fuser roller. This was part of the 4-6 hour PM breathing in all this crap!

Plus the dispersant in the liquid Savin models, or the Bransen machine that cleaned the tanks in the shop!

Not to mention all the toner we have breathed in over the years (talk about black coal miners lungs!)

Not sure how I have a mind left? ( I know that's questionable to some here) :rolleyes:

JR2ALTA
03-28-2020, 04:42 AM
Alcohol on rag using a screwdriver, dab of oil on rag with screwdriver, scotch brite on shaft.

Some guys will instinctively scuff the shaft with a file. I wouldn't recommend that. After a million replace the shaft.

Shadow
03-28-2020, 05:03 AM
I use alcohol and a q-tip on the bearings, soak the q-tip with the alcohol and run it around inside the bearings
I have used fine emery cloth to scuff up the shaft, just make sure to go cross ways of the bearing dirrection.
As for the chemicals of days gone past!! Rubber Rejuvenator was the worst...
The drive to work in the morning wasn't bad, but the flight home at the end of the day was something else!!!!
Another was stuff called blanket wash, sure did a number on the hands if you used it too many times in a day.

blackcat4866
03-28-2020, 03:25 PM
Lost my sense of smell useing that platen cleaner Fedron, and I would have to take any cleaning outside in the parking lot. Loss of smell has a pro and con affect; pro - I don't smell those questionable origins, and con - I don't have the pleasure of a well made dish.😩

Ain't that the truth. In High School (1978-80) I worked summers in the paint booth etching aluminum parts with Trichlorethelene in a sprayer. There wasn't any sort of ventilation or masking at the time. I haven't had much of a sense of smell since then. There are times when it's been a convenience.

Back on topic:
I've always used orange oil based solvents or alcohol and a cotton swab to clean out the sludge, then Triflow lubrication.

I'll have to disagree with the majority on scuffing up the shafts. A torrington relies on a specific shaft diameter to work properly. So if you were to take a worn down shaft, and wear it down further by scuffing, I don't see how that restores the original shaft diameter. In the short term, shimming the one-way to one side or the other to grab some good shaft will help. Other than that replacing the shaft is the only other option.
=^..^=

copyman
03-28-2020, 04:11 PM
Ain't that the truth. In High School (1978-80) I worked summers in the paint booth etching aluminum parts with Trichlorethelene in a sprayer. There wasn't any sort of ventilation or masking at the time. I haven't had much of a sense of smell since then. There are times when it's been a convenience.

Back on topic:
I've always used orange oil based solvents or alcohol and a cotton swab to clean out the sludge, then Triflow lubrication.

I'll have to disagree with the majority on scuffing up the shafts. A torrington relies on a specific shaft diameter to work properly. So if you were to take a worn down shaft, and wear it down further by scuffing, I don't see how that restores the original shaft diameter. In the short term, shimming the one-way to one side or the other to grab some good shaft will help. Other than that replacing the shaft is the only other option.
=^..^=

Good advice but have to disagree about "not" scuffing the shaft. Scuffing up the shaft with "scotch brite" pad only was even recommended to us by Kon/Min factory rep. Like the other poster said make sure to scuff up the length not around shaft. Been doing it for many years and works great! One of my top 10 tips for Kon/Min!

Synthohol
03-28-2020, 04:36 PM
i used varn blanketwash for 10 years then switched to IPA.
always scuff the shafts if cleaning the bearings.

Synaux
03-28-2020, 06:56 PM
i used varn blanketwash for 10 years then switched to IPA.
always scuff the shafts if cleaning the bearings.

Not a huge fan of IPAs (give me gas).

I have ~10x 5 gallon containers of blanket wash in storage (I think it is varn - pm me if you want some - I cannot give this stuff away in these parts). Very good stuff. Little residue, quick evaporation, low odor (still has a sweet stink to it) and cleans better than isopropyl (ethanol alcohol is still king for cleaning out my braincells though). Isopropyl is my go-to though (and WD40 if needed). This is more a convenience thing as I never bothered to find a good container for the blanket wash (yes, I am lazy).

Shadow mentioned rubber rejuvenator. I have an old can of the stuff. I pull it out for special cases only because it stinks so bad. It stinks, cleans the besterest and even gets rid of the cockroaches (customers) but still inferior in regards to killing braincells than your favorite libation.

As far as scuffing the shaft with scotch brite, yes is it "soft" metal but not that soft. Wearing the shaft OD out of tolerance using scotchbrite is like trying to cut your leg off with a plastic butter knife. I use a piece of worn out emery. I only perform a few parallel passes - lightly. This method of scoring/etching would take decades to degrade the OD tolerance and we are talking about tens of thousands of an inch (machining lingo). Using mild abrasions is more to clear off oxidation and problematic debris.
Just my opinion.

Grey
03-29-2020, 12:31 AM
Hey!

Goof-Off melts plastic and sends snoopy "looky-loo's away from the repair site.

Goo-gone is a great cleaner for feed tires and aligner rollers, etc.

M.E.K is a really great shot to the nose and standard for 1970-1976 cleaming solutions.

Methal Ethyl Ketone.

Buffed selenium drums with Brasso polish all day long...no gloves.

Hit the chrome shiny metal aligner rollers with scotch-brite for better feed and registration problems.

We all were once young and bullet proof.

copyman
03-29-2020, 02:13 AM
Hey!

Goof-Off melts plastic and sends snoopy "looky-loo's away from the repair site.

Goo-gone is a great cleaner for feed tires and aligner rollers, etc.

M.E.K is a really great shot to the nose and standard for 1970-1976 cleaming solutions.

Methal Ethyl Ketone.

Buffed selenium drums with Brasso polish all day long...no gloves.

Hit the chrome shiny metal aligner rollers with scotch-brite for better feed and registration problems.

We all were once young and bullet proof.

Haha we are lucky to still be alive! Heck in the 60's we rode our bikes in the fog behind the DDT trucks that drove around the neighborhoods fogging for mosquitoes! Way before EPA was around.

ZOOTECH
03-29-2020, 02:28 AM
I loved how Goof Off worked on non-porous surfaces, but made a mistake on an older Sharp copier to remove the past repair company's ID sticker. The cover surface began melting, I panicked, trying to keep damage to a small area. Luckily, my company's ID sticker covered up the damage - whew.

blackcat4866
03-29-2020, 02:34 AM
Does anybody remember the Ikon Canons refurbished in Mexico? As part of the process the covers were powder coated a pretty beige.

On the first few service calls when the covers started getting dirty, we discovered that the powder coating would come off at about the same rate as the dirt.
=^..^=

copyman
03-29-2020, 03:07 AM
Does anybody remember the Ikon Canons refurbished in Mexico? As part of the process the covers were powder coated a pretty beige.

On the first few service calls when the covers started getting dirty, we discovered that the powder coating would come off at about the same rate as the dirt.
=^..^=

I seem to recall canon machine saying refurbished in Mex or something like that. And think I remember how nice and new they looked but didn't last long.

Back in the day you could send covers away and get re-painted to exact OEM colors. It was a big business because those were the days you would actually "completely" rebuild a machine from frame up!

Also there were companies like NA Trading that sold OEM colored paints, lol (happen to still have a can of Ricoh Beige, has to be at least 20 years old and still sprays! see attached)

*Sorry for getting off topic...

Custom Search