PDA

View Full Version : Error Code CFA14

Custom Search

Guy Milner
01-14-2016, 06:58 PM
We have two very new C308s in one customer (less than 600 copies on both)

Both came in for error code CFA14 within a day of each other. If you uninstall the HDD, the machine won't error, but this is not an option.

After updating firmware on one of them, CD011 came up. Tried backdating, but the machine couldn't read the same usb stick?

Two machines down. Manufacturer recommend replacing the HDDs. Seems weird to happen to two machines in the same office at the same time though!

These were our first installs of the new 8 version machines. NOT GOOD!

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks in advance......

srvctec
01-14-2016, 07:08 PM
Is the power clean (no spikes, surges, highs or lows) at this office? Are these machines connected to any type of line conditioner or any sort of power protection? We've had, on numerous occasions, the C253 series machines with HDDs that appeared to be bad (locked up and UNUSABLE with no codes when trying to scan) because of power surges, even when connected to a line conditioner. The power at the office was so bad, the line conditioner did no good. In actuality, the HDD never was fried, just needed to remove and reformat it on a PC and put it back in the machine and reformat it in the machine. I realize this isn't the exact same issue, but the common thing in your two machines is presumably the power.

CompyTech
01-14-2016, 08:50 PM
Had it happen on a new 454e not too long ago.. Maybe the HDD got corrupted. I would file a warranty claim on the HDD, you can get the replacement within 2 days usually, overnight if necessary.

Guy Milner
01-14-2016, 09:07 PM
Is the power clean (no spikes, surges, highs or lows) at this office? Are these machines connected to any type of line conditioner or any sort of power protection? We've had, on numerous occasions, the C253 series machines with HDDs that appeared to be bad (locked up and UNUSABLE with no codes when trying to scan) because of power surges, even when connected to a line conditioner. The power at the office was so bad, the line conditioner did no good. In actuality, the HDD never was fried, just needed to remove and reformat it on a PC and put it back in the machine and reformat it in the machine. I realize this isn't the exact same issue, but the common thing in your two machines is presumably the power.

Back in tomorrow morning. I will check power, due to the fact that both machines give the same fault. Thanks.

Guy Milner
01-14-2016, 09:09 PM
Had it happen on a new 454e not too long ago.. Maybe the HDD got corrupted. I would file a warranty claim on the HDD, you can get the replacement within 2 days usually, overnight if necessary.

I have ordered one, after the first machine went down. Perhaps we have a bad batch of HDDs on the C308s, if two at the same customers have gone down?

srvctec
01-14-2016, 09:14 PM

I have ordered one, after the first machine went down. Perhaps we have a bad batch of HDDs on the C308s, if two at the same customers have gone down?
Really bad power will cause HDDs to get corrupted. Once we found out we could just connect the HDDs to a PC and reformat them at their default partitions (usually 3, I think), we don't have to order nearly as many drives as we used to.

CompyTech
01-14-2016, 09:15 PM

Maybe. Seems like every time one goes out another one will.

sikada
01-14-2016, 09:27 PM
verify that the correct print drivers are installed on all connected PC's

EarthKmTech
01-15-2016, 03:38 AM
Western digital branded drives were pretty good, although still the WD company (now) the HGST branded drives seem to fail more often.

Guy Milner
02-04-2016, 08:46 PM
Turned out to be the MFP boards. Both machines were replaced.

jotunn
02-05-2016, 06:24 PM
Those machines seems to be a mass produced prototype - just like Bizhub C200.

I have a demo machine, from the beginning of production - everything seems to be ok, but there is no possibility to rewrite a firmware.
I have thought that there was a problem with proper USB memory, so I gave up until I had to find some working one to prepare the second machine (2 months younger) for installation.
After few tries, I found working one, but it wasn't any of USB memories I used earlier for firmware update and so on. Once I got working memory, I tried to rewrite firmware in demo machine, and guess what?
Nothing happened - machine started with black dot and two "stripes" and any step further... After few tries - "maybe I'm doing something wrong" I gave up again and just turned the machine on, but the machine showed me C-FA14...
Half a day later - [System 1]-[Initialization]-[Clear All Data] did the job, C-FA14 disappeared.

I have tried to extract log from firmware update (below), and it seems that machine can read USB memory, but expects completely different firmware files (!)

2 USB Device(s) found
scanning usb for storage devices... 1 Storage Device(s) found
reading FW0002/INDEX
FAT: Misaligned buffer address (fed9bf88)
9166 bytes read
@TYP=Z_S
USB download boot.
action = [2]
Net: f_taiki MAC=0:20:6b:a1:9c:ca
InitMemorySize.dat
** No device specified **
not found InitMemorySize.dat.
** No device specified **
not found InitMemorySizeDef.dat.
BspVerifyCheckAction[474] n_Type(2).
BspVerifyCheckAction(488) flg=(0) uc_TempUtilityKey=(0) gPanelKey=(04).

reading FW0002/Image
5335136 bytes read
reading FW0002/initra~1.ubo
** Unable to read file FW0002/initra~1.ubo **
reading FW0002/mb86s7~1.dtb
28708 bytes read
Wrong Ramdisk Image Format
Ramdisk image is corrupt or invalid

The story isn't finished yet, the next step will be USB memory from trusted source (my KM friend), used a day earlier to update firmware.
Will see, but probably I will not get any more than with my own memories, and the story will finish with board replacement...

emujo
02-06-2016, 12:11 AM
KM has released special firmware gc2-54 to help with these, and a few other HDD related codes. It is a pretty involved process and I would only recommend a KM tech do it. If your friend works for KM, dealer, or direct, mention this to him. Emujo

Walterj
06-13-2017, 03:40 PM
We have two very new C308s in one customer (less than 600 copies on both)

Both came in for error code CFA14 within a day of each other. If you uninstall the HDD, the machine won't error, but this is not an option.

After updating firmware on one of them, CD011 came up. Tried backdating, but the machine couldn't read the same usb stick?

Two machines down. Manufacturer recommend replacing the HDDs. Seems weird to happen to two machines in the same office at the same time though!

These were our first installs of the new 8 version machines. NOT GOOD!

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks in advance......

To prevent the likelihood of these codes occurring and generating additional service calls, we suggest that you flash each machine with the Preventive firmware at setup, installation, or the next service call.

You will need the following files

Recovery Tool firmware
A7PU0Y0-F000-GXX-A8

Preventive firmware
A7PU0Y0-F000-GXX-B0

I hope my contribution helps.

Greetings.

Woxner
06-13-2017, 04:20 PM
there is also an hdd update firmware that will help this

Copier repairman
01-10-2021, 08:21 AM