PDA

View Full Version : Firmware frustration

Custom Search

andyf424
01-14-2016, 07:15 PM
I have two Kyocera TASKalfa 6501i that I can't seem to do a F/W update on. I have 4.06 downloaded, extracted and copied to a 2gb thumbdrive (tried two). Contents of the compressed file are in the root but, I also tried copying the files over in the extracted file folder. Turn off, pop in the thumb drive, turn on machine and it boots like normal, no firmware screen. I re-downloaded the firmware, re-extracted it, tried two different thumb drives and tried the u025 for high security, nothing. Machine boots up and ignores the thumb drive.

Gotta be something stupid I'm missing here. Hopefully somebody will point out something I'm missing, I'll be a little embarrassed but will get this finished.

Thanks,
AndyF

Tonerkiller
01-14-2016, 08:43 PM
Does someone have the usb of the machine turned off?

copydocinc
01-14-2016, 10:08 PM
I'm really interested to hear, what the heck Toner Killers question means. That make no sense to me.
Anyway.
3 Stupid things I may have come up with.

1. Are you putting the usb drive in the correct usb hole(up in the control panel, not back by the network connector)
2. I have copied the extracted files to the thumb drive and missed a few files, by not scrolling all the way down to copy all the files before copying to the thumb drive
3. I'm wondering if a 2 gig drive is too big, as in the past Kyocera machines that used flash memory cards, you couldn't use larger than 32mb or it wouldn't work

andyf424
01-14-2016, 10:13 PM
1. using usb port by control panel
2. hitting ctrl-a to select files, also checked under properties to make sure what is on the thumbdrive is the EXACT same size as extracted files.
3. these thumbdrives have worked in the past, oddly, theyre Kyocera promotional drives I got from the regional rep. I've got a 2gb I wanna try, "old reliable" I call her.....

copydocinc
01-14-2016, 10:22 PM
Just thinkin out loud here.
How about formatting the thumb drive?
I know you have to format it for the High security method and use the usb port in the back for high security method also?

Otherwise it sounds like you are doing it as your supposed to.

CWP
01-15-2016, 01:07 AM
What Tonerkiller is talking about is that it is possible to turn the USB ports off for security reasons (some over-zealous IT managers do this). When this is done, the machine will not recognize the USB stick, even for firmware. To test, power the machine on and see if the machine sees it and allows you to print or scan files from / to the USB stick.

Another possibility is that it just does not recognize that USB stick. I have had the best luck with SanDisk USB sticks, even as large as 16GB.
And what is strange is just because the machine can read a USB stick in normal operation does not mean that it will work for firmware update; I have several I can print from directly connected to the machine, but am not able to update firmware with.

As far as the files, extract the firmware file that you download from KDA Connect, but do not unzip any of the files within the firmware pack, the machine will handle those.

Kyo fan
01-15-2016, 07:31 AM
Format the stick, but before hitting format, click "restore device defaults" and format it. Than give it a go.

iceman490
01-16-2016, 03:10 PM
Are you plugging into the screens usb port? I've seen the connector for that usb port become disconnected over time

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

jmaister
01-21-2016, 03:15 AM
Are you plugging into the screens usb port? I've seen the connector for that usb port become disconnected over time

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

or wasnt plugged in since setup/installation when i'm suppose...to ...connect them?

*cough* has happened to me, HA!

Does the machine read your USB after booting up?

andyf424
01-21-2016, 04:19 PM
The LED light on the drive flashes when it boots, I can print a .PDF from the drive once the machine is on. So the port works. Also, I did try the high security F/W mode in service

D Colour
01-22-2016, 12:02 PM
Just wanted to check, as you say you copy the contents of the extracted file to the pen drive.

The only files that should be on the pen drive are the contents of ALL folder, nothing else.

CWP
01-22-2016, 01:02 PM
Andy,
Use this information as you like, but I have had USB drives that the machine would recognize every time for printing and scanning, but would NOT update firmware from at machine boot. You should try a different USB stick, and I believe that Kyocera recommends SanDisk memory sticks. SanDisk USB memory is what I have been using and never had a problem with those.
There are a lot of things you can try, but this is pretty cheap and easy, and if it doesn't work, the worst thing is that you have an extra USB memory stick.

andyf424
02-04-2016, 02:26 PM
Well, I got another chance to try and load firmware on this 6501i, customer called in late yesterday with a f345 error code. research and the kind folks at 1-800-get-mita suggest reloading firmware. I tried two drives, a 4gb kyocera promotional drive and a 8gb verbatim, tried the combined firmware and also the main and mmi firmware from the ftp site. I tried all 3 firmwares, on both drives, in both USB ports, 3 x 2 x 2 = 12 attempts. When you fire it up, it hangs on the welcome screen for a few minutes and throws the f345 code, network is disconnected. going back with a 2gb SANDISK this afternoon, if that doesn't work, kyocera suggests main PWB and firmware dimm.

Also, food for thought, I tried both the drives that would't work on the customers 6501i on our showroom 8001i (same firmware) and they both worked, no problem.

The firmware dimm isn't in the manual, does anybody know the number for kyocera parts? The support guy I had wouldn't help with part numbers and didn't have the number, super helpful.

andyf424
02-04-2016, 04:47 PM
update, disconnected finisher, PF, fax and tried loading MAIN F/W on a 2gb SANDISK via panel and side port, no change. Sits on welcome and codes out, f345

andyf424
02-05-2016, 05:29 PM
Ordered PWB main, HDD and Flash Assy 16mb Sp. Fingers crossed....

NeoMatrix
02-05-2016, 11:08 PM
Before hardware change over, try updating the firmware one more time.

If the MFD is having ram lock issues it may be allocating only small segments of memory to the firmware overall operation. This means it takes longer to do the firmware update.

Put the USB firmware in the machine an go and do something else for a hour or so.
Use the rear USB/CF slot if you're able.

Wait........

HTH

andyf424
03-02-2016, 10:33 PM
Should probably update this so it's not another dead thread with no resolution.....

I ended up replacing the printer control board and the firmware dimm. USB ports on both machines were shut off (u221 I believe) but the one that was coding out wouldn't let me into service mode to turn the USB ports back on to reflash the firmware. I did boot with the side door open but it would code out, no matter what I tried I couldn't get into service mode. Their other machine, I turned USB on, updated firmware no problem.

IT guy at this account thinks disabling the USB ports is "common sense", is there a way I can lock service mode so this guy can't get in?

blackcat4866
03-02-2016, 11:54 PM
Read up on maintenance mode U010.

I do not know how to reverse this, so be absolutely sure to document this change somewhere. If you forget the new sequence, you will not be entering service mode, period. =^..^=

wholesaler
03-03-2016, 01:44 AM
I have the same problem on a b/w 5501 never can get the firmware screen through either port

I have two Kyocera TASKalfa 6501i that I can't seem to do a F/W update on. I have 4.06 downloaded, extracted and copied to a 2gb thumbdrive (tried two). Contents of the compressed file are in the root but, I also tried copying the files over in the extracted file folder. Turn off, pop in the thumb drive, turn on machine and it boots like normal, no firmware screen. I re-downloaded the firmware, re-extracted it, tried two different thumb drives and tried the u025 for high security, nothing. Machine boots up and ignores the thumb drive.

Gotta be something stupid I'm missing here. Hopefully somebody will point out something I'm missing, I'll be a little embarrassed but will get this finished.

Thanks,
AndyF

wholesaler
03-03-2016, 01:49 AM
Just thinkin out loud here.
How about formatting the thumb drive?
I know you have to format it for the High security method and use the usb port in the back for high security method also?

Otherwise it sounds like you are doing it as your supposed to.

You have to format the drive before putting on the firmware thats the first thing tech supoport asks when you call them with the firmware issue

wholesaler
03-03-2016, 01:54 AM
What Tonerkiller is talking about is that it is possible to turn the USB ports off for security reasons (some over-zealous IT managers do this). When this is done, the machine will not recognize the USB stick, even for firmware. To test, power the machine on and see if the machine sees it and allows you to print or scan files from / to the USB stick.

Another possibility is that it just does not recognize that USB stick. I have had the best luck with SanDisk USB sticks, even as large as 16GB.
And what is strange is just because the machine can read a USB stick in normal operation does not mean that it will work for firmware update; I have several I can print from directly connected to the machine, but am not able to update firmware with.

As far as the files, extract the firmware file that you download from KDA Connect, but do not unzip any of the files within the firmware pack, the machine will handle those.
my 5501 see's it on the display it says removable memory it becomes a icon on the home page right under the copy icon. when i touch it on the panel it shows me the firmware. I really like to find out the problem on this one tech support is no help

Custom Search