PDA

View Full Version : BizHub C220 "surging - humming noise"

Custom Search

copyman
01-17-2016, 02:32 PM
This is an email I just got from one of my customers. I just sold them this machine 2 weeks ago. Everything was fine when I delivered it.

"We are having a problem with the copier I purchased from you. Although it seems to be functioning well the unit keeps power surging (with an internal humming noise). The surge of the copier is traveling all the way back to my breaker box and is causing my electrical main to surge (and hum). I have tried putting it on a different dedicated circuit however the problem still persist"

I have never seen anything like this on any K/M's I have serviced over the last 30 years. Has anyone else ever seen this?

Wanted to get some ideas before heading out there?

Any help appreciated.

Thanks in advance

srvctec
01-17-2016, 02:38 PM
Sounds like it might be the heat lamps triac cycling. They sometimes make a similar sound on many KM models. Completely normal IMO.

allan
01-17-2016, 03:19 PM
Could still be there electrical installation.

blackcat4866
01-17-2016, 03:31 PM
Maybe it forgot the words? :D:D

But seriously, copiers are not entirely silent when their on, not ever.

There are fans that cycle off/on as necessary.
The heater circuit buzzes a little when the heat lamps come on.
May machines rotate the fuser periodically to prevent flat spots on the rollers, especially when idling.

Don't forget to explain that the MFP isn't just sitting there idling. It's maintaining 180C in the fuser, monitoring internal temperatures, and keeping the main body cooled off.

For quieter operation you can shorten up your energy saver/low power timers, or even have it turn completely off. That's the only way it will be silent. In the end you'll have to go out there and observe, but I doubt you'll find anything extraordinary. =^..^=

SmellsHot
01-18-2016, 07:53 PM
This model was notorious for having a Power supply that made a louder humming noise the majority of the time. I'm sure it's related to this. If memory serves me correct their was even a bulletin on it.

allan
01-18-2016, 08:07 PM
Maybe it forgot the words? :D:D

But seriously, copiers are not entirely silent when their on, not ever.

There are fans that cycle off/on as necessary.
The heater circuit buzzes a little when the heat lamps come on.
May machines rotate the fuser periodically to prevent flat spots on the rollers, especially when idling.

Don't forget to explain that the MFP isn't just sitting there idling. It's maintaining 180C in the fuser, monitoring internal temperatures, and keeping the main body cooled off.

For quieter operation you can shorten up your energy saver/low power timers, or even have it turn completely off. That's the only way it will be silent. In the end you'll have to go out there and observe, but I doubt you'll find anything extraordinary. =^..^=

The fearsome C10 scares the #%$@ out of me.
If the table it sits on is not assemble properly it will wiggle it apart.
But i do like the triac hum. Sounds spacy. ZZZHHHhhh...

copyman
01-18-2016, 10:15 PM
Ok, here is the latest. I went there and everything seemed normal. Heard the machine cycle while sitting idle and "ready to copy". Everything sounded normal to me. Went to circuit breaker box and listened but not for long, no noise. Added a good surge protector / line filter

Few hours later customers electrician called saying he advised them to unplug machine. He said you have to stay near the box when machine first turned on or when turning on heater lamps at standby, at that time he said there is a buzzing noise in the box. I will give him benefit of the doubt because I didn't listen long. Also said they put it on a dedicated line and it still did it.

He just replaced a burnt out circuit breaker box and don't know if the copier caused it. I told him if 13A can burn out a box then he better check his wiring!

I think what is happening like someone posted, when triac kicks in to turn on lamps it makes a humming noise. Not sure why this line noise can be heard back at the box?

Not sure how to handle this at this point. Like I said just sold them the machine 2 weeks ago.

Thanks again for the replies

allan
01-19-2016, 04:59 AM
You need to test the current flow to the machine with a clamp tester on the live wire. Set the tester to peak hold and see what you get.

suomi
01-19-2016, 01:53 PM
Maybe this???

Noise from DCPU

【Symptom】

When waiting for printing (or at idle), a noise comes from the DCPU.

This noise is created when controlling the fuser temperature, and comes from the coil section of the noise filter.

【Cause】
From the C353 series, the function which controls the fusing heater when “heat ON/OFF”, “wake up/down” smoothly was added.
When this function works, the sound occurs by resonating the coils.

【Countermeasure】
Prepare the countermeasure firmware which does NOT smoothly work the control for the fusing heater to improve the sound.
For the future plan, this controlling of the fusing heater can be switched by a Soft Switch.

【Action in the field】
DLBT1001593EN00:Ver. A0ED0Y0-0050-G10-04
Apply the countermeasure firmware when the above symptom will be pointed out by the end user.
However, there is the possibility that the flicking of the customers office lights may occur. This will depend on the customer’s environment.

allan
01-19-2016, 07:18 PM
I believe the machine has different warm up modes under the machine setting in service mode.

NeoMatrix
01-19-2016, 09:00 PM
Maybe this???

Noise from DCPU

【Symptom】

When waiting for printing (or at idle), a noise comes from the DCPU.

This noise is created when controlling the fuser temperature, and comes from the coil section of the noise filter.

【Cause】
From the C353 series, the function which controls the fusing heater when “heat ON/OFF”, “wake up/down” smoothly was added.
When this function works, the sound occurs by resonating the coils.

【Countermeasure】
Prepare the countermeasure firmware which does NOT smoothly work the control for the fusing heater to improve the sound.
For the future plan, this controlling of the fusing heater can be switched by a Soft Switch.

【Action in the field】
DLBT1001593EN00:Ver. A0ED0Y0-0050-G10-04
Apply the countermeasure firmware when the above symptom will be pointed out by the end user.
However, there is the possibility that the flicking of the customers office lights may occur. This will depend on the customer’s environment.

Interesting....
The said coil resonance might be creating a floating above ground potential and drawing current back through the mains in the opposite direction.
The above ground current may not be measured by the utility electrical meter box an therefore free energy... so to speak... The reverse current can be greater in potential than the forward current and burn out electrical gear.

I bet peoples minds are ticking over every where trying to figure that one out .... :)

copyman
01-20-2016, 01:48 PM
Had my friend from Kon/Min stop by customers office to give a listen. He said the copier is definitely making the noise. He describe it as a 60hz hum. He said it was a little louder then normal. He said it may be worth changing the DCPU (pwr supply)

Will report back what happens after I change DCPU. If doesn't quiet down then it is something with their electric. I have even read that certain brand of breakers will hum and is normal. Since they just had new box & breakers installed they will have to have their electrician figure it out. This will be my last attempt on this. Machine is working fine.

blackcat4866
01-21-2016, 12:45 AM
I seem to recall a certain Mita that buzzed from the power supply. I recall calling our main office troubleshooter. She told me on that model that they all buzz to a certain extent. I ordered and installed a PS. It was a little quieter.

I installed the other PS in another machine that was louder yet. =^..^=

MILLER4157
01-21-2016, 03:14 PM
Had the same issue in a dusty environment. One of the triacs on the dcps was humming intermittently. Replaced the dcps and the issue was resolved. This can also be caused by faulty wiring in a building. I would put a sure test on the plug to check for ground faults

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

copyman
01-23-2016, 01:27 PM
Changed power supply and it was a lot quieter but still doing it. Installed special firmware for "power supply noise & fluorescent lights flickering" Found this F/W on Kon/Min dealer website right before I went to customers office.

Everything seemed good when I left. Hopefully it was the F/W that took care of this.

Copier Dork
03-01-2016, 07:11 PM
Have a customer who is worried about his machine exhibiting the same "humm/surge" noise that you are describing in this thread.

I have searched the KMBS knowledge base and the one-stop firmware page(s) but do not seem to find the firmware that you mention.

Can you tell me what firmware version you installed? or will the current base firmware have the fix installed?

Thanks for any assistance that you can offer me.

Trevor

SAR
06-13-2016, 09:58 PM
The firmware to fix this is version G00-B4 (special firmware). Look at the release notes and go to page 4, fix number 38 and it tells you a soft sw setting.

Custom Search