PDA

View Full Version : Voice over IP and digital fax issues.

Custom Search

fixthecopier
02-11-2016, 11:47 AM
I have a bizhub 283 customer that all of a sudden lost the ability to fax out. Incoming works fine. They pulled out an old Brother tabletop and it works fine. I swapped the board and it changed nothing. I then found out that recently Time Warner took over the phone system and they now have voice over IP and digital. My machine hates this. I talked to KMBS and they sent over some settings. I made the changes and it did nothing. Any tips would be appreciated.

emujo
02-11-2016, 01:35 PM
There really are no tips, Km has come up with a few suggestions to make it work, but officially, VOIP and digital lines are not supported. Emujo

Cookr
02-11-2016, 01:57 PM
There are adapters that can covert VOIP back to analog that should help you out. I have never used one but a few of our accounts have them on there lines and they seem to work fine. Good luck

allan
02-11-2016, 08:16 PM

The device is called a fax ATA. We have a lot of machines using a digital line with fax ATA installed.
Sure you dont need a DSL(POTS) filter only?

richmods
02-11-2016, 09:33 PM
I'm sure you've already checked this (but I have to ask) what line type is selected? The reason I ask is that I've had this happen several times on older controllers like the C353, and usually changing the line type from PB (dedicated) to P10 or P20 digital or VOIP (I think those are right...old age ya know) fixed it.

blackcat4866
02-11-2016, 11:12 PM
If you do have some success, please share those settings.

I have had some success with the Toshiba GD-1250 fax card settings, and they do seem to transfer to a certain extent to other Toshiba fax cards. Naturally these settings won't translate to Konica Minolta. Also there are drawbacks to being successful. We got a call later saying that on fax Rx, there were lots of line hits. Wow!! What a surprise! You mean, when we let all the garbage data through, you can't read it?! Huh?! =^..^=

Tonerbomb
02-12-2016, 12:39 AM
Slow the data rate down to say 9600, and increase the line reconstruction time, sometimes increasing the modem volume........... customers don't think about the fax machine when converting to voip, or don't have a choice. Most major manufactures aren't yet making fax options that accept voip............missed the mark again...........

and those little ata converters are not always your Friend.............

fixthecopier
02-13-2016, 02:20 AM
Thank you guys for responding. I got burried in calls and haven't been back . Question? When this happens, is it the customers problem? The machine is sound. Should the phone company provide an adapter?

blackcat4866
02-13-2016, 02:38 AM
Thank you guys for responding. I got burried in calls and haven't been back . Question? When this happens, is it the customers problem? The machine is sound. Should the phone company provide an adapter?

Should the phone company provide an adapter? Maybe, but they won't. In the end it takes a very persistent customer to get the telephone provider to do anything useful. Mostly they just say that the line sounds fine (for voice), and rarely address fax problems unless pressed. And you get to hear what a POS your fax is from the customer.

Another way to address this is to sit down with an activity report and look up all the failure codes, calculate seconds per page on each Tx and Rx.
Once you've got your ammunition you can sit down with the keyop. Point out that a good quality phone line can transmit data at 7 seconds to 30 seconds per page. What is your average time per page? And these error codes indicate signal loss, FTT, or whatever the codes point to. Maybe your customer will even listen to all of this. And maybe they'll call the phone company. And maybe they'll persist until the phone company does something. =^..^=

Custom Search