PDA

View Full Version : bizhub 423 series failed HDD tips

Custom Search

srvctec
03-09-2016, 08:30 PM
Posting this here since I could find nothing in the forum about it yet.

This is basically a post about what I've discovered in the last few weeks on a failed HDD on this series of machines (bizhub 223 thru 423) since we've had it happen a couple of times. The first symptom of a failed HDD is you will get a message that says "Due to an alert, the panel is illuminated." I've seen this same message on other machines for other issues, but never on this series of machines. Once this happens, you can't use the machine as it's basically locked up with this message displayed. If you have the customer pull the power plug from the wall while the power is still turned on at the machine and let it set for a few minutes, turn off the main power switch, plug it back in and turn the machine back on, this will usually make it so the machine can be used. On one occasion, we had the customer try this and it worked for a whole day after this procedure.

The next day the same customer called back and said that the original message noted above was no longer displayed but now had a new message displayed that says "Turn off the main power switch." with a picture of the machine only (no accessories, even if they are installed) with a white background and orange border and an arrow pointing at the main power switch with the toner door open. If you turn off the main power switch and then turn it back on, the same message appears again and the machine cannot be used. If you go into the service mode and check what service codes have been logged, FA14 will be shown for however many times it was reset. If you go and try to format the HDD in service mode, it will fail. The HDD is corrupt, causing all of these issues. Replace the HDD with a new one (we use Memory Experts to save a bunch of money) or remove it, plug it into a SATA adapter and then a PC and just reformat it and reinstall.

EarthKmTech
03-09-2016, 09:26 PM
Last time I had a hdd failure on a 423 it had the click of death - nothing was bringing that drive back to life.

Didn't have those symptoms though, it actually had the persistant HDD error code, D- something or other, cant remember. New hdd, problem solved.

Custom Search