PDA

View Full Version : BIZHUB C220 WON'T PRINT...is 'LIFE LIMIT' indicator causing this?

Custom Search

TEKK09
03-24-2016, 01:35 PM
Not very familiar with Konica, so I just want to make sure the machine will print again when I install a kilobuck's worth of parts.

Says 'Ready to Copy', and will scan (and email) just fine, but then all print and copy jobs go from "PrintWait" to "PrintStop" and then an orange light comes on just under document feeder glass area left side. Even sample prints won't print. Meter just topped 320K. It's webpage has a red bar at the top and in it says, "LIFE LIMIT", and shows all 4 drums and the ITB are all at 100 percent used.

Will the machine start printing when these parts are replaced? Or is there something else? Thank you very much.

allan
03-24-2016, 02:29 PM
There is a dip switch setting that would let the machine go past life stop issues.
It could be switch 51 hex 30. The setting is in service mode -> system 2 -> dip switch settings.
remember to press FIX or SET before you exit the screen. It would require a restart.

The transfer belt and fuser can be reset from Service mode -> counter -> life -> new release.
Open the front door when you are in new release screen select the ITB or fuser. The start button will go blue then press it.

Get new drums and developer units. Its worth it. The fuser and transfer belt can go way past its recommended life up to 500K+.
The ICP's on the chips (boards) will reset the counters when they are installed.

blackcat4866
03-24-2016, 11:19 PM
Yes the transfer belt and developing units will stop printing. Like allan said. =^..^=

John Kaufmann
03-26-2016, 02:16 PM
... The fuser and transfer belt can go way past its recommended life up to 500K+....

What might cause the transfer belt to go significantly earlier - say, ~150K? I've seen this on a C250 and C360, both with low monthly use, so that the failures came after years of service, even though under 150K. For that matter, why do imaging and developing units have early (low-page-count) end-of-life limits on machines with low monthly usage? - are the life limit page counts derated for hours in service? I have considered updating those machines with PPLM but am not sure it's a good idea, especially for the developing units.

copier tech
03-27-2016, 10:46 AM
Personally I only replace the drums & devs when the print quality is effected, I've had drums easily go twice over life, the devs even more.

Simply load the latest firmware, change a few settings in service mode & the "replace image unit" message etc goes away.

Also don't reset the ITB & fuser unless you have replaced it, this way you & your colleagues will know it has not been replaced should they start causing issues.

This is all true if you are using genuine KM toner, if you're using compatible expect your drums & print quality to fail much sooner!

minimerlin
03-27-2016, 01:26 PM
What might cause the transfer belt to go significantly earlier - say, ~150K? I've seen this on a C250 and C360, both with low monthly use, so that the failures came after years of service, even though under 150K. For that matter, why do imaging and developing units have early (low-page-count) end-of-life limits on machines with low monthly usage? - are the life limit page counts derated for hours in service? I have considered updating those machines with PPLM but am not sure it's a good idea, especially for the developing units.The low use machines tend to reach page/hour limits early as the life is counted on a wierd scale depending on the number of copies produced during a run. If the copy/print runs are long the life counter is also not debited as much for some reason, so if the jobs are just single copies/prints the counters will drop quicker....as I understand!:cool:

blackcat4866
03-27-2016, 02:59 PM
Close. Konica Minolta, and now Toshiba both count on two levels:
# of copies/prints
# of motor rotations or seconds of operation

This way you can accurately gauge component wear on a sliding scale, taking into account copying and idlling/initialization. I think it's pretty ingenious.
=^..^=

allan
03-27-2016, 05:58 PM
Just to add. The machine can be set to black stabilization priority.
That does not engage the color drive for color registration if you are only making B/W copies.
That helps to save a bit of unit rotation time.

John Kaufmann
03-28-2016, 03:04 AM
... Konica Minolta, and now Toshiba both count on two levels: # of copies/prints # of motor rotations or seconds of operation This way you can accurately gauge component wear on a sliding scale, taking into account copying and idlling/initialization... That seems consistent with what I have seen: early lifetime warnings on drums and developers. But then, as I said, I have seen the transfer belts fail without lifetime warning - and appearing to fail because the rubber is brittle, as if degraded by temperature over time, or by ozone attack. It's as if only imaging and developing units get derated for seconds of operation, while ITB page life may not be derated for time. Does that make sense?

John Kaufmann
03-28-2016, 03:29 AM
Personally I only replace the drums & devs when the print quality is effected, I've had drums easily go twice over life, the devs even more. Simply load the latest firmware, change a few settings in service mode & the "replace image unit" message etc goes away. Also don't reset the ITB & fuser unless you have replaced it, this way you & your colleagues will know it has not been replaced should they start causing issues. This is all true if you are using genuine KM toner, if you're using compatible expect your drums & print quality to fail much sooner! Yes, only KM toner, but I'm reluctant to use PPLM to override the life warnings (especially for developer units) until I understand the very early transfer belt failures that come before any warning. Maybe the final answer will be to run drums for as long as print quality is acceptable, change devs when recommended (to avoid consequences of the kind of material degradation failures seen on the transfer belts), and just accept early (in pages, not in time) failures of ITBs as they happen.

TEKK09
03-28-2016, 04:32 PM
There is a dip switch setting that would let the machine go past life stop issues.
It could be switch 51 hex 30. The setting is in service mode -> system 2 -> dip switch settings.
remember to press FIX or SET before you exit the screen. It would require a restart.

The transfer belt and fuser can be reset from Service mode -> counter -> life -> new release.
Open the front door when you are in new release screen select the ITB or fuser. The start button will go blue then press it.

Get new drums and developer units. Its worth it. The fuser and transfer belt can go way past its recommended life up to 500K+.
The ICP's on the chips (boards) will reset the counters when they are installed.

Thank you very much!...got me out a jam.

I reset both Fuser and ITB and machine is working normally. Now I have plenty of time to schedule replacements etc. I looked at the dip switch settings but decided not to tangle with them since I could not find a roadmap in the SM of exactly what the 8 bits meant or how to change (and since the reset was successful).

Think I'll go with your suggestion to replace drums and dv units...except for the K Dv which is rated at 570K. I'm assuming the DV Units come with developer? Correct me if that's wrong. And I also assume the machine will recognize the new units and self-calibrate? Saw nothing in the SM replacement procedure to the contrary.

Nice to know there's a ton of expertise out there...thanks to all.

blackcat4866
03-28-2016, 11:09 PM

... I'm assuming the DV Units come with developer? Correct me if that's wrong. And I also assume the machine will recognize the new units and self-calibrate? Saw nothing in the SM replacement procedure to the contrary.

Yes, developing units are pre-filled with developer, and will be recognized and stir on the first start up (install units with power off). Just do stabilization and gradation. =^..^=

Pocavon
03-30-2016, 12:41 AM
I had that issue that only occurred using a mac computer. There's an issue with the mac drivers.. There is a bulletin on this somewhere but drums are set to run till failure without a hard stop as far as I know.

SAR
03-30-2016, 09:20 PM

I reset both Fuser and ITB and machine is working normally. Now I have plenty of time to schedule replacements etc. I looked at the dip switch settings but decided not to tangle with them since I could not find a roadmap in the SM of exactly what the 8 bits meant or how to change (and since the reset was successful).

Think I'll go with your suggestion to replace drums and dv units...except for the K Dv which is rated at 570K. I'm assuming the DV Units come with developer? Correct me if that's wrong. And I also assume the machine will recognize the new units and self-calibrate? Saw nothing in the SM replacement procedure to the contrary.

Set dip sw 51 to display 11110000, Hex Assignment should be FO.
Set dip sw 55 to display 00001100, Hex Assignment OC.
Also, make sure your Life Stop Setting is set to NO STOP. Get into service mode, then press the Stop, 0, Clear buttons in order. Select IU Life Stop Setting and make sure NO STOP is highlighted.
Be sure to press the FIX button after you set Dip sw 51&55 to their appropriate settings like someone said earlier in this thread.

TEKK09
05-03-2016, 02:50 PM
Thanks again for all the great info. If I may just ask one more question...

I have the drums and developers, and am set to install them all. My question is in what order do I install. Should I install the drums first? The developers first? All at the same time? Maybe it doesn't matter, but I don't want any problems. What do you think?

copier tech
05-03-2016, 02:59 PM
It doesnt really matter. Personally i'd turn the machine off & replace them all in one go. Machine will calibrate it's self

Synthohol
05-03-2016, 03:46 PM
Machine will stabilize but not calibrate itself.
Once everything is installed run background data reset and stabilize.
Then run all your gradations 3 times like it says in the manual.
Thats how its calibrated, not by itself.

TEKK09
05-05-2016, 03:39 PM
Machine will stabilize but not calibrate itself.
Once everything is installed run background data reset and stabilize.
Then run all your gradations 3 times like it says in the manual.
Thats how its calibrated, not by itself.

Excellent. Just what I was asking for.
I see stabilize and gradation adjustments on page 385/6.
When you say, 'run background data reset', are you referring to the adjustment on page 387, "12.6.3 Image Background Adj"? And if so, do I input '0' on all the colors (because that's the default)? Thanks a lot!

Synthohol
05-05-2016, 06:03 PM
no, in image adjustment in svc there is a button for stabilization mode. choose the one on the left and hit start. then bounce out once and choose gradations. run stabilize then you can choose print and the paper size. run it 3 times for copy and 3 times for print.

TEKK09
05-06-2016, 02:10 PM
no, in image adjustment in svc there is a button for stabilization mode. choose the one on the left and hit start. then bounce out once and choose gradations. run stabilize then you can choose print and the paper size. run it 3 times for copy and 3 times for print.

Okay think I got it now. Sure appreciate the help!

Custom Search