PDA

View Full Version : Idiot of the decade needs help with Fiery IC-303

Custom Search

Splatt
04-01-2016, 05:35 PM
OK, here's the story; I was having problems connecting to the Fiery, it seemed that the software wasn't starting correctly. I don't have the disks to reinstall.
So I connected to the fiery using remote desktop and discovered it was a network issue. During my attempts to repair the connection I accidentally clicked and disabled the LAN port, instantly slamming the door with my keys inside.
Is it possible to re-enable the port so I can continue?
I know the monitor is automatically switched off on boot so I tried to get in the BIOS to see if there was anything there, but I can't seem to get in.
Tried starting various safe modes but no joy.
Then tried, blind, with a keyboard connected, to start normally to run CMD to manually enable the port at command line. I'm just getting irritated beeps.

Have I bricked my fiery?

God help those of just enough knowledge to royally screw up.

Thanks in advance,
Steve.

Synthohol
04-01-2016, 06:53 PM
isn't there a 2nd lan port? by default it is set on dhcp. plug it into the network and if you can find out the IP from the dhcp server or use CWS to see what IP was issued. you can remote to that IP as well and re-enable the first LAN port.
good luck!

Splatt
04-01-2016, 07:32 PM
Thanks Synth, I'll give that a go first thing in the morning.
For some reason there's an empty RJ45 hanging out of that port, hope that doesn't bode bad.

I was wondering what the worst thing you could do to a fiery would be, short of pouring sweet, hot coffee all over it, I think I've nailed it.

Cheers,
Steve.

KenB
04-01-2016, 07:37 PM
Last I remember, the second LAN port is ONLY a connection to the MFP via a crossover cable. I highly doubt it would allow access to the OS.

As far as the peripherals are cornered, that it dictated by the BIOS IC. That is why all Fieries use a normal motherboard, but the BIOS is a "Fiery" BIOS. When you purchase the FACI option, it changes those flags in the BIOS to allow the peripherals (keyboard, monitor, and mouse) to work.

Outside of connecting the HDD to another PC and attempting to see just where in Windows and/or the (gulp!) registry, I see no way out of this other than re-imaging.

Note: I would NOT even attempt to pull the HDD and boot from it in another PC. Windoze would revolt with all the "new" hardware it discovers!

Sorry.

Albonline
04-01-2016, 07:57 PM
OK, here's the story; I was having problems connecting to the Fiery, it seemed that the software wasn't starting correctly. I don't have the disks to reinstall.
So I connected to the fiery using remote desktop and discovered it was a network issue. During my attempts to repair the connection I accidentally clicked and disabled the LAN port, instantly slamming the door with my keys inside.
Is it possible to re-enable the port so I can continue?
I know the monitor is automatically switched off on boot so I tried to get in the BIOS to see if there was anything there, but I can't seem to get in.
Tried starting various safe modes but no joy.
Then tried, blind, with a keyboard connected, to start normally to run CMD to manually enable the port at command line. I'm just getting irritated beeps.

Have I bricked my fiery?

God help those of just enough knowledge to royally screw up.

Thanks in advance,
Steve.

If i remember correctly, you can run setup from the little lcd and re-enable the nic.

KenB
04-01-2016, 08:17 PM
If i remember correctly, you can run setup from the little lcd and re-enable the nic.
I don't remember that being there, but i's sure worth a look!

BTW... I feel your pain. Been there, got the T-Shirt.

Splatt
04-02-2016, 11:09 AM
Thanks for all your help guys.
For reference, it seems that the second LAN port is exactly that. I connected to it and then checked in the router and there it was with its own IP. I logged in with remote desktop and can now start to troubleshoot why the server is offline and can't connect to Command Workstation.

Not sure if anybody else in here has had this problem but it seems to have been caused by an update to Windows 10. The whole network went down and even though I could ping every device there was no file sharing. I fixed this on the two affected PC's by running an elevated command prompt and running two netsh commands. I will dig them out and post here if anybody is interested.

Now, I just need to research if I need to run these commands on the Fiery.

What a great forum this is!

Cheers fellas.
Steve.

Splatt
04-02-2016, 12:32 PM
While I'm here, if anybody can help me to get the fiery back online I would be eternally grateful and paypal your favourite bar with the price of your preferred tipple.

When I remote desktop to the fiery I can see that command workstation is trying to open but stops at 'Login server' there are no servers listed and the 'Available servers' dialogue box can't find any through search. I've tried various IP's but none can connect.

I have also tried editing TCP/IP settings in the LAN properties but can't seem to get the fiery on the network or access the internet.

When I run network diagnostics I'm getting fails on network adaptor>DefaultIPGateway and DNSSearchOrder but getting a pass on IP Address.

Any help or advice warmly received.

Cheers,
Steve.

allan
04-02-2016, 01:31 PM
If its got bios does it keep it settings in RAM with a battery?

Synthohol
04-02-2016, 02:40 PM
are you still using the 2nd port?
can you get to the "launch configure" via a browser?
make sure all printers are "connected"
try a restart server through the fiery LCD panel?
if that fails you can restore the fiery to factory defaults via fierys web page.
if you need system software let me know.

Splatt
04-04-2016, 11:05 AM
Thanks for the further replies to my dilemma.
Allan, I would imagine the bios is protected, there doesn't appear to be an option to start the bios editor on boot.
Synth, to answer some of your questions; I got the original port back up which is the IP I had been connecting with previously using command workstation. I can access the OS with remote desktop but I can't find a 'launch configure'. I tried searching the server but all I found was configurelaunch xml doc.
The bizhub appears to be connected to the fiery but on startup the fiery wants to auto launch command workstation 4, but hangs at the point of finding a server.
My LCD panel just has a little fiery logo top left. No functionality. I imagine this is activated when CW utilities are loaded.

I'm pretty sure this is a networking problem related to my recent crash. I'm going to try the fix that worked on the other PC's (disabling part of SAMBA) and will report back if that works.

Thanks for the software offer, it seems all the fiery folders are in place and I assume I can reinstall from the CD2 folder, if needs be.

Cheers again for all the advice.

Steve.

Splatt
04-04-2016, 12:45 PM
I've made a little progress.

I started by trying to run the following commands from an elevated command prompt:

sc.exe config lanmanworkstation depend= bowser/mrxsmb10/nsi

sc.exe config mrxsmb20 start= disabled

The first was successful but the second targeted a non-existent service.
I restarted the fiery and the Windows 10 Pc and now the fiery is visible to the network.

Back into the fiery by remote desktop and I still can't configure command workstation to login to a server. I don't even know what it means by server. Itself? the Router? No idea.
I launched internet explorer (remember that?) on the fiery to see if it could connect to the internet, it can't. Then again I'm not sure if the fiery should have browser connectivity or not.

Onwards...

Synthohol
04-04-2016, 01:58 PM
CWS is up to ver 5.8 btw.
since the fiery has a static address you can manually input the DNS through adapter settings through RDC.
does anyone run CWS on their WS? or just on the Fiery? install the latest on someones PC or your laptop?

also what do you mean by fiery is visible to the network? you should not need to see it on the network, if you do you need to disable windows printing.
the fiery printers should always be loaded LPR with Print as the queue. thats the way it was designed. samba printing is not as reliable as LPR.
windows printing eats up resources and available memory not to mention the increased network traffic.
anyway... can you at least print a config page from the fiery or get anything out of it?

Splatt
04-05-2016, 12:20 PM
I'll try to explain a bit more so you know the limit of my prowess with this beast.
I bought the machine as a second user C6500 with lots of finishing units and an IC303 Fiery.

After building it all I connected the fiery to the gigabit port of my router, installed command workstation 5.x on my work PC and the Fiery was detected and everything just worked. I downloaded the field service manual and have been maintaining and operating the machine successfully for three years.
I have never previously used remote desktop to look at the IC303. In fact I have only used the LCD panel to switch off the IC303. I just assumed that on boot it loaded RIP software and drivers for the 6500.

It is only now, since my network problem, that I have had to look at the IC303.
Once I got in there, I was surprised to see that it was running an XP server OS and that the startup programs were Command Workstation 4, hot folders and system update. I presume that the IC303 has never had internet access as it has not updated anything.

So now, when I access the IC303 by remote desktop I am confronted with the command workstation program with a splash screen that says 'Login server' with an empty list, and then a further splash screen that says 'available servers' and again an empty list and an auto search that detects nothing. I'm not even sure what I am supposed to be trying to connect to from this dialogue, the router, bizhub, gateway, the IC303, work PC or some magical place on the internet that makes things work.

I have a feeling that my network adapter settings are incorrect and I'm not sure what they should be. If I get them right I think the auto search will find something. I have tried editing the TCP/IP properties in network adaptor but nothing has worked so far.

From my work PC I can see the IC303 on the list of network computers and I can ping everything from everywhere.
I'm at a loss.

You can see that I have got this far by blind luck and a lot of research and experimentation. Unfortunately networking protocols seem to have found the limits of my brain.

Sorry for the long post!

Cheers,
Steve.

Synthohol
04-05-2016, 09:55 PM
nah, post was fine.
command workstation running on the fiery is irrelevant. its a waste of resources. i would go to launch configure on the web page and go to backup and restore and restore the fiery to factory out of the box condition.
input the IP from the fiery LCD panel and let it start from scratch.
this way if there were any services on the fiery that stopped or were disabled for any reason this should fix it all.
it will have to be calibrated when you are done with a densitometer for best results.
i have both DVD .iso hosted on my web server so if you want to burn 2 disks and really start from scratch let me know and ill PM/give you the links otherwise the restore should fix all the connectivity issues.

Splatt
04-06-2016, 10:08 AM
Hi Synth,
Fantastic, I can almost smell the toner.
All I need to know now is, where is this web page you speak of? I have had a look around the EFI site but didn't see it. I also assume that I need to connect to the internet and do this from the Fiery?

On a side note, are you a synth nut? Bit of a Korg fan myself.

Cheers,
Steve.

Synthohol
04-06-2016, 01:58 PM
when you go to the fiery's IP in a browser, there should be a link or tab to configure settings on the fiery.
internet exploder sometimes displays the page incorrectly, try firefox.
a couple questions though, can you print any internal pages? like a config page or ps test page?
on a computer other than the fiery can you go to the fierys IP and post a screenshot?
is there a FACI kit on this fiery?
let me know, i never give up on fiery issues, im much too bullheaded.
as far as my "handle" i have been Synthohol since the comp-u-serve days mid 80's
big startrek fan :)

Splatt
04-06-2016, 04:21 PM
Hi Synth,
Right, I can ping the fiery but when I type the same into chrome I get a connection refused error.
I have tried and failed to print the network config from the bizhub, where I notice that scan and other options are greyed out. Also when I try to log in to maintenance area the password Fiery.1 is refused.
No FACI kit. I tried connecting a monitor and keyboard but they are switching off at the XP splash screen.

When I remote desktop to the Fiery it looks like this:

Underneath the CWS stuff is this:

There is a 'Fiery bar' permanently at the top of the screen.

I will also PM you a screenshot of my router status page if that helps.

Cheers very much for all your help. It really is appreciated.

Steve.

Synthohol
04-06-2016, 04:29 PM
have you tried a blank password?
i have a special file you send to the DIRECT queue of the fiery and the password prints out if you want it.
if it wont print a config page then maybe the SCSI cable is bad?
the controller tab is selectable? i know you cant do much from it but is it bold and selectable?

Synthohol
04-06-2016, 04:32 PM
BTW the offer of system software dvds is still on the table :)
hey, when you RDC to the fiery can you try to get to its web page with the browser? no internet is needed. you can even try 127.0.0.1 or the actual IP. either should work.

Splatt
04-06-2016, 06:04 PM
Blank password - refused.
I have no access to the direct queue.
Controller tab is greyed out.
Launched internet explorer on the Fiery via RDP and can type the router address in and access the router software but no other IP works.
I have also been in to the adaptor settings and edited the TCP/IP config again to enable DHCP as I was sure the DNS settings were wrong and wanted automatic allocation.
Tried everything again but no joy.

Maybe I'd better ask you for those disks as I'm at a brick wall.

What software is supposed to be running on the Fiery?

I have also fired up task manager to see what is there. Here is the screen:

Yes, I am English, living in Spain and the Fiery was German!

Cheers,
Steve

Splatt
04-06-2016, 06:05 PM
Is it me or are my screenshots miniscule?

Synthohol
04-06-2016, 06:38 PM
tiny but thats ok, the main thing is the controller tab is shaded out, this tells me the cable is likely suspect or the VIF board it connects with on the copier has an issue. since you can contact the fiery via RDC it says the system is alive but not passing any info to the machine.
hey just for reference......

FIERY IC303 / IC305 VIDEO CABLE

try reversing the scsi cable and reboot to see if the controller tab becomes active. also maybe re-seat the video board in the copier?

peter42
04-06-2016, 07:16 PM
If you have access by remote desktop over the second LAN-port, you have a chance..

Command workstation will not start, until it finds an working ethernetadress on the 1th NIC.
The virtual Fiery-RIP is bound to the 1th Lan Port
So you have to enable the first LAN-port in Networksettings of the OS like a normal windows client.
Rightclick on the 1th Lan-port and you can enable/disable it in the submenu.
Check IP-Data of that port, windows allows no 2 LAN-ports with the same IP.

greetings peter

Synthohol
04-06-2016, 08:51 PM
I got the original port back up which is the IP I had been connecting with previously using command workstation. I can access the OS with remote desktop
done a while ago. @peter42
the copier does not see the fiery, this issue overrides networking, its communication by the SCSI cable on either end or the boards.

Synthohol
04-06-2016, 10:50 PM
i happen to have a fiery with no copier, here is a screenshot of the fiery web page accessed on the fiery using 127.0.0.1
from here i can launch configure and check all the settings and do a restore to defaults.
just a reference of what it should look like,

Splatt
04-07-2016, 12:09 PM
I have tried reversing the SCSI cable, checking the board is seated correctly in the Fiery, taking the back off the hub to inspect the connection there, seems like it's straight on to the mobo and everything is nice and firm. But dusty. I blew the dust away but that didn't fix it either.

The fact that I can't access the software on the Fiery makes me think that this has to be a software issue. The fact that you (Synthohol) can access the IP on a Fiery that isn't connected to a copier reinforces this view. In device manager I have checked to see if anything has errors but the only thing with a caution is the ATI ES1000 display adaptor. I presume the SCSI is the EFi VX500 and that's fine. There must be a driver/controller or something that has failed.

I think the only thing left for me to do now is to reset the Fiery and reinstall software, Synth, if you can point me to those ISO's I would be eternally grateful.

If anybody has a comprehensive list of careers that don't rely on machines can you please post it as I feel a change of path coming on.

Thanks,
Steve.

Synthohol
04-08-2016, 01:36 AM
First off remember we are not saving lives out there its a copier not heart surgery. Never give up, never give in. I will verify the isos when I get home. Im out of state. Did you try 127.0.0.1 in the browser ON the fiery through RDC?

NeoMatrix
04-08-2016, 10:41 AM
First off remember we are not saving lives out there its a copier not heart surgery. Never give up, never give in. I will verify the isos when I get home. Im out of state. Did you try 127.0.0.1 in the browser ON the fiery through RDC?

You've obviously never worked on medical machines where the doctors send emails to a dedicated MFD. If they don't get the medical records out of the machines the patient drops dead. ........................ not a nice nights sleep if you get it wrong.......................

I'm not going prematurely grey because I work with Ladies night Bingo machines.

In truth that's in the past................ thank Christmas to the dude up stairs nearer the Pearly gates ......

Synthohol
04-08-2016, 02:27 PM
LOL, i cant imagine how doctors survived back in the analog days :)

@splatt, do you know what version is on the fiery? maybe on a sticker? i have ver 3.0 but i can DL any version you need.

Splatt
04-08-2016, 05:05 PM
There have been further developments.
Unfortunately, someone else has been into the system to attempt to fix it. They apparently ran one of windows wizards and this has now bricked the Fiery.
I can't RD on any ports and it isn't responding to pings. It's IP is appearing on the router browser page though.

As for version, all I can see on the case is a sticker on the back that says 'Fiery server S450-04' and a serial. Not sure if that tells you the version.

I get a bit despondent with machines. As well as maintaining all the machines in here I have websites to build, wide format work, installation, accounts, etc, etc. Too many hats and not a big enough head!

Speaking of heart surgery, someone is going to have work on mine if my blood pressure keeps rising!

Cheers,
Steve.

Synthohol
04-08-2016, 06:46 PM
i sent you the links via PM
enjoy

Splatt
04-11-2016, 12:37 PM
New fiery software installed and the RIP is working again.
Can't thank Synthohol enough for all his perseverance and help with troubleshooting my issue. I hope to be able to help someone else as patiently myself someday.

The offer of a beer or two, of course, still stands.

Thanks also to everyone else who tried to help me out with my issue.

Cheers,
Steve.

texascopy1
04-11-2016, 10:42 PM
Hello, I've been following this thread with a similar problem on a pro80 controller 65-55 v2.1 that is just plain acting strange. It powers on with amber blinking light, has faci and cws comes up fully, but the fiery just sits there at starting up with green blinking light both on the controller above lcd and on monitor in upper right hand corner. the fiery bar also says exited. I installed a wireless usb so it has internet access but when I try 127.... it comes back as refused connection. I have system sftwre but not usersftwre, is there something I'm missing? the c6501 controller is greyed as well, switched scsi cable but nothing. the fiery won't come out of starting up even with out the copier connected. Any help would be appreciated.

Synthohol
04-11-2016, 10:47 PM
127.0.0.1 only works on itself via remote desktop and with the wireless it confuses the browser.
if CWS comes up on then you can either try a clear server (just all the queues and logs, wont change any network or config info) or maybe a bad scsi cable.
controller blinks on the LCD of the copier? what does it say when you select it?
hey maybe start your own thread so we can call this one solved ok?

texascopy1
04-12-2016, 12:07 AM
ok, sorry about that. starting new one now

Custom Search