PDA

View Full Version : Bizhub C450 Networking?

Custom Search

AVW
04-16-2016, 01:37 PM
I bought a used Bizhub C450, and like to use this machine in a mixed network with Mac OS 9, Mac OS 10.4 and Ubuntu. Sadly the C450 got a very "fancy" software status.
I was able to reset the Admin passwort from within the service mode. But for example I cannot adjust the IP adress like described in the manual (point 4.2) or activate AppleTalk (point 4.9 of the manual). The manues are simply not there! I also checked the Field Service manual, but neither in admin mode at the copier directly nor in the PageScope online mask AppleTalk or IP adress adjustment appeares.
Any idea what next? Is it possible that the former (Win-) users somehow permanentely erased unused network protocols? Is there a possibility to completely reset everything to factory defaults? Or do I need some firmware update (if so, how?).

I would be glad for every hint or idea.

AVW
04-16-2016, 05:49 PM
It seems my problems are connected to the fact that the machine has a "Fiery X3eTY 35C-KM" as well, ...

habik
04-16-2016, 06:38 PM
The copier is hooked via crossover network cable to the fiery. Take the network cable out and hook directly to your router. Then reboot the copier and once fully booted you should be able to see current network config.

Which internet browser are you using? Use firefox. In admin mode you can reset the network to factory defaults.

You can reset the NIC with NV RAM reset tool. For this you'll need the NV RAM firmware, 256MB compact flash card and Konica Firmware Imaging Toolkit (special utility to write firmwares to the Flash Card)

Sent from my iDon't believe in marketing device using Tapatalk

AVW
04-16-2016, 08:22 PM
Thanks Habik for your reply.

The copier is hooked via crossover network cable to the fiery. Take the network cable out and hook directly to your router. Then reboot the copier and once fully booted you should be able to see current network config. Yes, I hooked the C450 directly to the hub, and put the fiery crossover cable out. Sadly this doesnīt change the situation. The copier still offeres the same menue points in admin mode with missing Appletalk and TCP/IP settings.
Network settings in admin mode still offers me NetWare, FTP. SMB, LDAP, E-mail, Details and TCP Socket (with reduced 2 submenues instead of 5).

Which internet browser are you using? Use firefox. In admin mode you can reset the network to factory defaults.
PageScope online mask is not accessable at all now anymore (perhaps it will be again when I hook up the fiery again?). Regardless which webbrowser I am using. Firefox is standard here anyways. I also couldnīt find the reset possibility you are talking about in admin mode, and the Field Service Manual, dos not talk about it either. Where exactly should it be?

You can reset the NIC
What is the NIC?

My next problem seems to be that Konica-Minolta and EFI (the producer of all fierys if I understood correctly?) do not provide any drives or information about the "Fiery X3eTY 35C-KM" with Mac OS 9.x or Mac OS X 10.4 or in general with the Bizhub C450 anymore. I seems that it will become very hard to get the drivers somewhere without the original Software CDs.
I could find a document from 2005 at EFIs servers via google called "PrintMacOS.pdf" explaining the usage of the Fiery X3eTY 35C-KM with both Mac OS in detail. But no official hint at the webpage and no drivers/software anywhere. Also "Komponente Installer" of the "WebTools" which should enable any computer to connect to the fiery directly and download the drivers from it directly is not working.

I am giving up for today.

habik
04-16-2016, 08:42 PM
I'll try something for you. PM me your email.

Sent from my iDon't believe in marketing device using Tapatalk

Synthohol
04-16-2016, 09:52 PM
if you need MAC drivers for the IC-402 for 10.4 and 9 PM me and ill give you a link if you want.

AVW
04-18-2016, 10:26 AM
The entire issue to get this used Bizhub C450 with Fiery X3eTY 35C-KM (the IC-402) up and running in the network was a little bit tricky. So if we forget about all the things I tried, and everything that didnīt work the whole weekend, here is what I have basically done:

I searched the net for the "secret" service mode, that I needed to reset the admin password of the C450. Subsequently I could reset it and use PageScope (Bizhubs configuration page for using with webbrowsers). But before I had to search the machines IP in the net (as it used DHCP) and needed to connect to this special IP. Strangly I needed to login as guest, and not as Admin!
As guest there you got 2 further possibilities (that are not there as Admin). One button on the left "login to Fiery", this is not what I needed. The 2nd possibility was the Fiery logo itselve. If you klick at it, you will get connected from PageScope to Fierys own webmask, the so called "WebTools". There is the place to set all the network and connection stuff, as it is finally the Fiery that is connected to your hub/switch. But the trick is you need a working webbrowser, and recent Firefox and such stuff didnīt work, as the older Mac OS 9 browsers didnīt work as well. It is an really ugly interface with Jave, and you need a Java 1.4.2 capable Browser. After long tries an old Safari version did it for me, and I could finally login to the Fierys WebTools. But not before searching a long time before in the net for the Fierys Default Password! Gladly the former user didnīt change it to anything else and the standardpassword worked (I am wondering if there is any possibility to ever log in again if you donīt know a non-standard Fiery passowrd).

Now there was the possibility to set a fixed IP adress and to activate AppleTalk and much more.Also there are some drivers for X and Win that you can directly download from your Fiery. Gladly I got the original dirvers previously and could install them before and use it from Mac OS 9 and 10.4

Mac OS 9 was simplest as always just creating a new printer in the Printer Control Panel and selecting the PPD for the Fiery X3eTY 35C-KM which is called "Fiery X3eTY 35C-KM PS v2.01 eu" (the one that got installed at X, worked well).

Thats it. The most problematic issues where that the manuals for the C450 didnīt count anymore for this machine with the hooked up Fiery. I still belive it is bacause the Fiery is then responsible for all the networking stuff. But I still have 2 unsolved points:

10.4 offers me the Fiery only as IP printer, and not as AppleTalk printer, and I do not know why.

I still didnīt get the original menue points of the C450 for networking, even if I directly plug the C450 to the hub, and bypass the Fiery completely. I am wondering why. In the meantime I got some Firmware for the C450 as well, but as the entire "how does the C450 work with the Fiery, and what exactly changes-issue" is a myth to me, I will not try a firmware update for "testing". Especially as the Fiery is now usable in the network. Might be that would I brick the integration at the C450 if doing an update (or reinstallation) and would need a special Firmware for the Fiery? Who knows ;)

MCBIG
04-19-2016, 12:22 PM
It seems my problems are connected to the fact that the machine has a "Fiery X3eTY 35C-KM" as well, ...

I would disable and remove the Fiery. Enter service mode, go to system 2, image controller type, change to controller 0. You will then be able to change network settings via the machines interface.

Synthohol
04-19-2016, 03:01 PM
I would disable and remove the Fiery. Enter service mode, go to system 2, image controller type, change to controller 0. You will then be able to change network settings via the machines interface.

Whether or not it had a fiery has no bearing on network settings in admin mode.
The network setting should be set to auto for a fiery. The fiery when configured correctly assigns the fiery the next IP addy up from the one for fiery.
The crossover cable fom the fiery copier port to the emperon controller.
Also forget about appletalk since LPR or LPD is the preferred method mac or pc.
I can go into better detail when I can get to a computer as this cell phone is a b1tch to type on.
AVW, hang in there I never give up on fiery issues, I love fiery and will work with you to get it going correctly. Its just hard to do in between my service calls.
Ni need to remove/disable fiery unless system software is corrupt and I can give you that as well.
Just hang in there.
You can PM me your phone number and I can walk you through steps also if you like.
Im on the east coast, I have no idea what time zone you are in :)

AVW
04-20-2016, 01:32 AM
Hey Synthohol,

thanks for the nice offer. Well my timezone is UTC+1 ;)

To be honest, recently my main "problem" is that I do not really understand what the Fiery is doing for me in general. I would be glad to get some detailed user manual, or even a good product brochure to get what the fiery is doing what the copier cannot do alone (regarding ripping, not the extra applications like CWS, ColourWise or HotFolders which I understood quite well).
But in general the Fiery works quite ok now, and all copier functions are accessable from Mac Os 9 and X 10.4, so the is no huge problem. Also i start to understand how the Fiery is integrated into the Bizhub C450. The missing link for me was "Service mode > System 2 > Image Controller Setting. Default is Controller 0. When Fiery installed then Controller 1. Reboot machine after settings to take effect!" that another user sent me by PM.

The next funny thing will be when I will try to use the C450 with Firey from the Ubuntu computer. Letīs see how that will go, or if I need a lot of assitance.

Synthohol
04-20-2016, 12:28 PM
the Fiery does a much better job quality-wise and you can control so much more with it, matching colors manipulating the jobs etc...
the standard Emperon controller is meh, ok for office color but you can get magazine quality with a bit of tweaking with the fiery.
if high quality is not an issue you can go without the Fiery but if it already has one may as well take advantage of it.
if you charge by the click, usually the better it prints the more prints they are likely to make.

Custom Search