PDA

View Full Version : 128 & 256Mb CF cards going cheap

Custom Search

EarthKmTech
04-26-2016, 11:44 PM
Found these on eBay if anyone still works on the old machines and is interested, should be available world wide.

Original Sandisk 32 48 64 128 256 512MB 1GB 2GB 4GB Compact Flash CF Memory Card | eBay (http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Original-SanDisk-32-48-64-128-256-512MB-1GB-2GB-4GB-Compact-Flash-CF-Memory-Card-/151714445036?var=&hash=item2352e2b6ec:m:mj2JhcSNh2VpNx6GrkOHe5A)

blackcat4866
04-26-2016, 11:52 PM
You mean REALLY old machines? The last machine that would load firmware from a CF card was a Kyocera FalconIII or Saturn.

I've got 20 or 30 of those that I'll probably never use again. =^..^=

EarthKmTech
04-27-2016, 10:06 AM
Bizhub C650 series and C353 series were the last KM machines.

habik
04-28-2016, 04:46 PM
Rather buy reliable 2GB sticks.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

EarthKmTech
04-28-2016, 08:41 PM
Not sure what the fuss is about with people and usb sticks, I never have any issues with my metal 8Gb kingston stick.

I use a dual booting macbook pro for work and with the stick erased and prepared in either osx or windows 7 for firmware has never let me down.

Having said that there are some crap sticks out there. The no name brand ones in particular i've seen work once then never again, but you get what you pay for.

blackcat4866
04-29-2016, 01:03 AM
CF sticks seem to last forever, if you use them intermittently. In cases where you load additional fonts and they remain powered up continuously, they seem to have a lifespan of about 1 year.

habik
04-30-2016, 09:02 AM
Not sure what the fuss is about with people and usb sticks, I never have any issues with my metal 8Gb kingston stick.

I use a dual booting macbook pro for work and with the stick erased and prepared in either osx or windows 7 for firmware has never let me down.

Having said that there are some crap sticks out there. The no name brand ones in particular i've seen work once then never again, but you get what you pay for.

I use macbook pro as well with VM win 7 and have issues with 4GB Sandisk using VM. When formatted 1 GB stick DXO Labs or 4GB Sandisk stick as FAT32 in VM it copies firmware data but copier never accepts it. When formatted on normal win7 - 10 as FAT 32 it will take it when copied from OSX but never from VM. May have to convert to dual-boot as well.
Yes, you get what you pay for, had some promotional sticks 2GB - 4GB that worked for ages and one day one after the other just failed and had to be binned.

EarthKmTech
04-30-2016, 12:25 PM
Is the VM taking full control of the USB device - if the host operating system is interfering with it in any way it will mess things up.

I have a few os's installed on my home mac using virtual box and it allows you to select a currently detected usb device and have the host operating system ignore it and give full control to the virtual machine for this very reason.

I use eeprom reader / writer in XP VM on my mac no problems and its fussy as hell even on a real windows pc.

subaro
05-03-2016, 02:28 AM
Those who service the older kyocera machine will find those cards still valuable. There are still a lot of post here for machines that uses CF cards. sandisk in my opinion is one of the better memory manufactures. The best for me though is buffalo. i use a 512 mb usb stick for years now and every day. it sure takes a beating and outlast many other brands that have craped out. Kingston is very reliable too. This is a valid post, as these cards are difficult to find now in the smaller sizes.

wseyller
05-03-2016, 04:04 AM
I just recently had to use my 256MB card on a C252. I didn't think I'd ever use it again. I don't have problem with USB sticks either. I use 8GB on any Konica Minolta device that supports USB firmware with no issue except I had to do full reformat once.

Thank goodness I wasn't given a Mac for work. Apple products are banned from my household. I do have a vm of Mac when I need to test crap out.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

EarthKmTech
05-03-2016, 08:31 AM
I just recently had to use my 256MB card on a C252. I didn't think I'd ever use it again. I don't have problem with USB sticks either. I use 8GB on any Konica Minolta device that supports USB firmware with no issue except I had to do full reformat once.

Thank goodness I wasn't given a Mac for work. Apple products are banned from my household. I do have a vm of Mac when I need to test crap out.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I don't run windows at home at all, when I do use it now at some work sites I find it infuriatingly slow to do the most basic tasks. I'll never go back to windows, 18 years of it was enough.

The mac was optional, I chose it, and its still going after 3 years of heavy use being bashed around and dragged in my tool bag, bashed around on flights to and from remote sites, unlike the lenovo piles of shit that other techs have that are regularly being repaired twice annually. It's never needed a single repair or re-image.

subaro
05-03-2016, 12:45 PM
I don't run windows at home at all, when I do use it now at some work sites I find it infuriatingly slow to do the most basic tasks. I'll never go back to windows, 18 years of it was enough.

The mac was optional, I chose it, and its still going after 3 years of heavy use being bashed around and dragged in my tool bag, bashed around on flights to and from remote sites, unlike the lenovo piles of shit that other techs have that are regularly being repaired twice annually. It's never needed a single repair or re-image.

Afordability. Macs are way more expensive than a windows pc. Yeh, i like the screen output and resolution. I have a dell e5500 and 5 yrs now running xp and everyday use, it takes a beating. but as the saying goes nothing last forever, only the soul for those who believe on eternity.

habik
05-03-2016, 10:48 PM
Is the VM taking full control of the USB device - if the host operating system is interfering with it in any way it will mess things up.

I have a few os's installed on my home mac using virtual box and it allows you to select a currently detected usb device and have the host operating system ignore it and give full control to the virtual machine for this very reason.

I use eeprom reader / writer in XP VM on my mac no problems and its fussy as hell even on a real windows pc.

No, when I have VM running and plug the USB Stick in it can be seen by VM (Guest) only the Host can't see it, which is telling me that that is the correct setup.

May I ask which USB controller are you using on your win7 VM? Is it OHCI (1.0) or EHCI (2.0) or xHCI (3.0) and did you install any extention package for VBox? Thank you.

Custom Search