PDA

View Full Version : DF-701 base frame replacement

Custom Search

EarthKmTech
05-13-2016, 01:38 AM
Now that these ADF units are becoming NLA new, we are going to have to start replacing the base frames of existing units where the rear left hinge screws are breaking away from the frame. I'm only seeing it in schools presumably it is caused by people copying thick books and applying too much pressure to hold the ADF down.

For my first one I've ordered the base frame, the white sheet (incase its no sticky enough to reinstall to new one) and 10 of the thick self tapper screws that always fall out and go missing.

Is there anything else, ie mylars that are mandatory to install to the new base plate before assembly ?

Can I have a show of hands of who is doing this job now, as per usual KM have declared this is only happening to us and have never seen it before....

blackcat4866
05-13-2016, 01:51 AM
So far, I haven't seen it yet. If it were me, I'd find a scrap DF to rebuild at the shop, then swap in shop rebuilt assemblies.

You might as well be building a DF from scratch. There's no way to tap the holes larger, or inserting bolts/nuts? =^..^=

EarthKmTech
05-13-2016, 03:29 AM
I have about 10 broken ones to do in my area, one is so bad the belt drive is rubbing on the broken frame and causing phantom jams.

It might be possible to fill the cracked screw holes with 5 minute epoxy and reinstal the screws with the adf upside down too.

Ill take some pictures when i tear one down showing the damage. Its going to take at least a month to start taking delivery of the frames.

Synthohol
05-13-2016, 05:05 AM
yes pics please, we have well over 2000 of them out in the field. never seen it thank goodness!

EarthKmTech
05-13-2016, 05:17 AM
Clearly you guys have more caring customers - if there is a way of breaking something my customers will find it.

This will be a chargeable repair as there is no way other than abuse that it can occur.

wseyller
05-14-2016, 01:31 AM
I done one before maybe a year ago. It wasn't as bad as it seems. All of the parts transfered over well.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

mascan42
05-15-2016, 03:16 AM
Clearly you guys have more caring customers - if there is a way of breaking something my customers will find it.

This will be a chargeable repair as there is no way other than abuse that it can occur.

Yeah, some school districts can be really rough with the machines. One district in my territory has broken about 7-8 bypass trays off of Bizhub 423's, half a dozen lift motors on Bizhub 552's, and have now started snapping the 423 transport unit holders off. I'd love to bill them for all of this, but they're getting close to renewal time and my manager won't let me.

copyman
05-15-2016, 03:50 AM
being told the company just landed the contract for the local school district and you'll be servicing all the schools copiers.

2 worst places for copiers, schools & auto dealerships

mascan42
05-15-2016, 04:40 AM
being told the company just landed the contract for the local school district and you'll be servicing all the schools copiers.

2 worst places for copiers, schools & auto dealerships

Even worse, school districts are money losers. We always sell them less than they need, and thanks to the special terms of government contracts, we don't make it up in the overage charges. So we wind up throwing tons of money in terms of parts and labor at them because they're overused. I've got four school districts in my territory alone. And they wonder why the branch is bleeding money.

copyman
05-16-2016, 01:18 AM
Yea that's tough with companies losing money like that. Do they really want a tech living at these schools every day! It just doesn't make sense. If anything overcharge the school district like everyone else does! You know what you get with schools. I have a few machines in schools but they are in depts outside of school. I don't want the machines teachers are operating! The big boys can have them.

EarthKmTech
06-16-2016, 12:37 AM
FYI,

Km has modified the base frame spare part to add strength to the screw bosses at the left hinge to avoid breakage.

Old part number A3CEPP1603
New part number A3CEPP1607

Having done the job now its actually pretty damn easy, just order a new white sheet to go with the frame and have the spare large screws as they go missing when the df frame is broken.

The white sheet tore when i tried to remove it, you may be able to reuse it if you are very careful.

EarthKmTech
06-16-2016, 12:50 AM
What I class as pretty damn easy is that it is only a bit more involved than changing the second side CIS data cable.

Everything transfers over in a straightforward manner.

I did not even disturb the hinges - I left them screwed to the main body and removed the document feeder from them, then started assembling the new frame on the hinges. (there is some risk doing it this way, use your own judgment, if your not built like an army truck like me you may wish to remove the whole df properly and work on a big table)

No skew adjustment was required on completion - win.

However, ADF height adjustment was required as obviously was compensating for broken base before.

other than that, follow your nose and transfer everything over, took about 30 minutes would be an hour at a very relaxing pace. Could probably do in 15 next time, working like a mad man.

Custom Search