PDA

View Full Version : Miscellaneous Bizhub C308/C368 firmware update problem [POTENTIAL SOLUTION]

Custom Search

jotunn
05-19-2016, 12:00 PM
In case of machine hanging with two fins while firmware upgrade with USB memory - try to rename two files on your USB memory FW0002 folder:

- initramfs.gz.uboot to initra~1.ubo
and
- mb86s73eb.dtb to mb86s7~1.dtb

emujo
05-19-2016, 01:08 PM
Can you go little further as to what this is doing, and why? Emujo

jotunn
05-19-2016, 02:52 PM
OK :)

During firmware upgrade with some USB memories machine stops with two fins displayed on screen (and stays in this stage forever), so I started digging and found that machine can't find proper ramdisk image on USB memory:

[...]
reading FW0002/Image
5335136 bytes read
reading FW0002/initra~1.ubo
** Unable to read file FW0002/initra~1.ubo **
reading FW0002/mb86s7~1.dtb
28708 bytes read
Wrong Ramdisk Image Format
Ramdisk image is corrupt or invalid
u-boot> <- machine stops here

Environment variable for bootup process looks like:
bootcmd=fatload usb 0 80008000 FW0002/Image;fatload usb 0 82000000 FW0002/initra~1.ubo;fatload usb 0 81000000 FW0002/mb86s7~1.dtb;bootm 80008000 82000000 81000000

So someone in Konica Minolta has defined file names in old FAT16 style (SFN - short file names, 8.3 style), although all the files on USB memory has newer LFN names typical for FAT32.
In theory (and in most cases) it should work without problems, but in this case it doesn't. I don't know if this is a problem of buggy FAT implementation in U-Boot used in KM machines,
or a problem with FAT formatting in newer OS'es, but definitely files with long names such as initramfs.gz.uboot and mb86s73eb.dtb can't be used to boot as their SFN doesn't exist for U-Boot.
So making a copy of those files with short filenames in FAT16 style - initra~1.ubo and mb86s7~1.dtb can solve problems.

But all theory need a proof - I have only one machine in this moment, a machine with a broken SATA controller (HDD is unreadable) and I can't upgrade firmware (kernel panic because of non-existent HDD),
but after filename change my machine started to boot farther than described above (<- machine stops here).

So maybe someone can try this solution.

DadO
05-20-2016, 06:55 AM
Can u try not to upload firmware and wait few day's for new release? :)

jotunn
05-20-2016, 09:14 AM
You don't get it at all ;)

This problem cannot be solved by other firmware version - it doesn't matter if you have G00-16, G00-54 or G00-84.
I thought that C224(e) series was picky about USB memories, but current machines are much worse in this case (for me only?) - memories that worked for C224 (and I could format them, delete, repartition and so on), for new machines doesn't work at all. Moreover, I had one working memory for C308 which stopped working after quick format under Windows 7 - formatting has changed something definitely, so it was logical for me that maybe it's a problem in my computer, but nothing could help - neither formatting in another computer with Windows 7 (even with special tools), nor formatting under different OS'es (Linux, MacOS X).

So the problem lies (mainly) in the machine - I think someone has just used buggy/not patched version of U-Boot while designing firmware for new machine line.

tech51
05-20-2016, 08:48 PM
Just adding to this.
We have found that if you hold the stop button down too long after the black dot appears on the screen, the update will stop at the two fin stage.
Release the button as soon as the dot appears.
I know it doesn't sound likely but we've had two engineers on areas 150 miles apart report this back.
Cheers...

toshibadale
05-23-2016, 03:00 PM
For 8 series machines you must create a folder in the root called FW0002 and put firmware in it. For 7 series it is FW0001. Must be FAT32 also. And these machines are picky about USB sticks, and all security functions on stick must be removed.

gerryproulx
05-26-2016, 08:08 PM
I have tried multiple usb sticks and different firmwares to no result on a brand new c368 just sticks on 2 bars. I have tried changing the file names and get a firmware error so that doesn't work.

jotunn
05-26-2016, 08:32 PM
What kind of error?

habik
05-26-2016, 08:54 PM
There is a firmware bug. See the TABT1600559EN

gerryproulx
05-26-2016, 09:06 PM
just says firmware error occured

habik
05-26-2016, 09:09 PM
Regards to USB sticks.
I am using 1GB and 4GB Stick
Try this: Download fresh zipped or (.exe) firmware to downloads folder and whilst still zipped, copy it from downloads to your USB Stick. Then run the Unzipp or .exe sequence within the root of USB Stick. Once unzipped rename the folder containing the firmware to FW0002 or FW0001 respectively for the series of machine you have as suggested by Toshibadale. Hope this works for you. I had few nightmares even with the e-series firmware till I worked out and started using this method. And it works even on virtual machines. Takes longer, but worked for me. What I have noticed is that, when erasing a stick there sits one firmware file that has protection on it and being asked if I am sure to erase or delete it. I wonder if it does Goofes around when copied from diferent directory to a USB stick. Fun Fun Fun :D

jotunn
05-26-2016, 09:36 PM
There is a firmware bug. See the TABT1600559EN

I had this problem also - with Sandisk Cruzer Blade. However this is something else than my problem.

I did further research, and found that in my case there is a problem with FAT implementation in MS Windows - documentation says that first three letters of long filename extension should be translated to short filename extension, but...

$ dir /x init*

2016-03-03 03:57 1 734 036 INITRA~1.UB~ initramfs.gz.uboot

in my case as you can see there's a tilde instead of the third letter. So, for U-boot looking for initra~1.ubo it's completely different file ;)

gerryproulx
05-26-2016, 09:52 PM
if I do it that way I have FW0002 in the root and FW0002 as a subfolder inside it and the machine boots to ready

habik
05-26-2016, 11:11 PM
if I do it that way I have FW0002 in the root and FW0002 as a subfolder inside it and the machine boots to ready

OK which firmware are you trying to load?

Try to copy the subfolder FW0002 (containing firmware) 33024to the root of USB.

gerryproulx
05-26-2016, 11:39 PM
I am trying to load the preventative firmware GXX-B0 and the G00-84 neither of which is working just went and got 2 more USB drives to see what happens I am putting FW0002 into the root. I even went to a customers C368 with the same result but have done firmware on a c308 a couple of weeks ago with no problem

habik
05-27-2016, 07:17 AM
I am trying to load the preventative firmware GXX-B0 and the G00-84 neither of which is working just went and got 2 more USB drives to see what happens I am putting FW0002 into the root. I even went to a customers C368 with the same result but have done firmware on a c308 a couple of weeks ago with no problem
Which country are your machines setup for?

Byting on bits.

gerryproulx
05-27-2016, 03:30 PM
I'm in Canada

toshibadale
05-27-2016, 09:06 PM
After downloading the files and unzipping, open the folder and copy just the FW0002 part to your root on the usb stick. also use one stick per file. See bulletin 10072

gerryproulx
05-27-2016, 10:20 PM
thanks I have read all the bulletins have done everything suggested so far here and everything tech support has asked me to do including reformatting the hard drive and putting the usb into the rear slot. I have tried 6 different usb sticks, 4 different firmware's, editing the file names, formatting the sticks with older operating systems and now am trying a different computer to download and copy just in case something weird is going on with mine

gerryproulx
05-27-2016, 10:45 PM
it's my laptop looks like. I downloaded the firmware on another computer, formatted the USB again and copied it then was able to put the new firmware into the machine and the preventative firmware as well. thx for the suggestions

habik
05-28-2016, 06:32 AM
Well done, bet it felt good! Would you try your laptop again and format the usb stick twice, once on My Computer ( standard right click>Format > Fat32) and second time under Disk Management where you can create partitions. Obviously without creating partition. I had issues with win 7 Virtual Box running on mac and even dual boot didn't fix it.
What OS have you got on your laptop?

Byting on bits.

gerryproulx
05-28-2016, 08:23 AM
running 10 on the laptop have never had a problem before.kicked heavy with antivirus with no result looking at a reload as is a windows machine gotta hate windows but need it. thx will try

habik
05-28-2016, 08:33 AM
running 10 on the laptop have never had a problem before.kicked heavy with antivirus with no result looking at a reload as is a windows machine gotta hate windows but need it. thx will try

Think I've seen a bulletin about W10. When I find it I'll post it!

Sent from my iDon't believe in marketing device using Tapatalk

wragsdale
06-07-2016, 04:58 PM
I had this problem also - with Sandisk Cruzer Blade. However this is something else than my problem.

I did further research, and found that in my case there is a problem with FAT implementation in MS Windows - documentation says that first three letters of long filename extension should be translated to short filename extension, but...

$ dir /x init*

2016-03-03 03:57 1 734 036 INITRA~1.UB~ initramfs.gz.uboot

in my case as you can see there's a tilde instead of the third letter. So, for U-boot looking for initra~1.ubo it's completely different file ;)

In what environment is this? I'm seeing something else in W7 Pro SP1.

03/02/2016 09:57 PM 1,734,036 INITRA~1.UBO initramfs.gz.uboot

In any case, are you sure this is necessary? Can anyone else confirm that this worked for them? I'm taking a set of f/w loaded drives to a C308 later today with non-renamed files, but it seems like this is going to be my next step if none of them load.

jotunn
06-07-2016, 07:38 PM
In what environment is this? I'm seeing something else in W7 Pro SP1.

W7 Ultimate :)

03/02/2016 09:57 PM 1,734,036 INITRA~1.UBO initramfs.gz.uboot

In any case, are you sure this is necessary? Can anyone else confirm that this worked for them? I'm taking a set of f/w loaded drives to a C308 later today with non-renamed files, but it seems like this is going to be my next step if none of them load.

Your seems to be ok, so it shouldn't be necessary to rename this file in your case.

Well it worked for me with C227 (had the same problem as with C308).

rindraintsoa
09-07-2016, 01:28 PM
hello all,
I was wondering how can you see all these message? is there any possibility to boot a KM machine into "verbose mode" how can I do it. Thank you very much for your answer.

rindraintsoa
09-28-2016, 02:10 PM
OK :)

During firmware upgrade with some USB memories machine stops with two fins displayed on screen (and stays in this stage forever), so I started digging and found that machine can't find proper ramdisk image on USB memory:

[...]
reading FW0002/Image
5335136 bytes read
reading FW0002/initra~1.ubo
** Unable to read file FW0002/initra~1.ubo **
reading FW0002/mb86s7~1.dtb
28708 bytes read
Wrong Ramdisk Image Format
Ramdisk image is corrupt or invalid
u-boot> <- machine stops here

Environment variable for bootup process looks like:
bootcmd=fatload usb 0 80008000 FW0002/Image;fatload usb 0 82000000 FW0002/initra~1.ubo;fatload usb 0 81000000 FW0002/mb86s7~1.dtb;bootm 80008000 82000000 81000000

So someone in Konica Minolta has defined file names in old FAT16 style (SFN - short file names, 8.3 style), although all the files on USB memory has newer LFN names typical for FAT32.
In theory (and in most cases) it should work without problems, but in this case it doesn't. I don't know if this is a problem of buggy FAT implementation in U-Boot used in KM machines,
or a problem with FAT formatting in newer OS'es, but definitely files with long names such as initramfs.gz.uboot and mb86s73eb.dtb can't be used to boot as their SFN doesn't exist for U-Boot.
So making a copy of those files with short filenames in FAT16 style - initra~1.ubo and mb86s7~1.dtb can solve problems.

But all theory need a proof - I have only one machine in this moment, a machine with a broken SATA controller (HDD is unreadable) and I can't upgrade firmware (kernel panic because of non-existent HDD),
but after filename change my machine started to boot farther than described above (<- machine stops here).

So maybe someone can try this solution.
How can you get these message?
I have connected my C368 machine to my laptop using RS232 cable but I never had such message. I can read the boot log explaining what the machine do at which state. But not message like you get. I will be very interested by the way you get this kind of message.
Thanks

barber782
09-29-2016, 01:57 PM
Had one of our engineers trying to update the fw to A7 and B0 (SATA Fix), he spent an hour trying different usb devices with no luck. Strangely enough I suggested switching off the machine and unplugging it from the wall, leaving it off for 5 min. He then switched it on again to to find it worked, and continued pass the screen with the grey bars.

Worth a try.

Sharptech56
02-27-2017, 03:46 PM
What a pain in the neck.However,shutting it down and unplugging it for 5 minutes did the trick. Now downloading firmware nicely.
THANKS!!

Boltaction
05-10-2018, 07:10 PM
Hey guys, I may catch hell for not submitting a new thread, but this could be relevant.

I have a new customer who purchased a c368 brand new, and since the beginning, have had issues scanning to folder. Their c364 was configured exactly the same way on the network, same port, same everything. The issue is, intermittently, the screen gets stuck at the sending screen. As soon as you touch "stop job" the machine freezes. Putting the machine into sub power and then waking it back up, it fails to complete the job due to power off. But the machine will work fine, and there is a chance trying the same scan job will work perfectly. But about every other scan job does this.

Never had a problem printing or copying.

The company who sold them the machine did have the latest G00-R9 firmware installed. I flashed the firmware, no change. But the changelog PDF for that firmware says the function version is updated to 4.1. This machine function version is 3.4.

Ultimately, my question is: does the firmware update not actually update the function version as well?

This is uncharted territory for us, our fleet is made up of mostly 4 series.

Any input is greatly appreciated!

jotunn
05-10-2018, 07:28 PM
You have to set version manually - by setting Software SW 25 to A0

Boltaction
05-11-2018, 02:07 AM
You have to set version manually - by setting Software SW 25 to A0

I doubt this is the cause of my problem but I will give it a shot when I go back tomorrow.

copier tech
05-11-2018, 07:41 AM
Hey guys, I may catch hell for not submitting a new thread, but this could be relevant.

I have a new customer who purchased a c368 brand new, and since the beginning, have had issues scanning to folder. Their c364 was configured exactly the same way on the network, same port, same everything. The issue is, intermittently, the screen gets stuck at the sending screen. As soon as you touch "stop job" the machine freezes. Putting the machine into sub power and then waking it back up, it fails to complete the job due to power off. But the machine will work fine, and there is a chance trying the same scan job will work perfectly. But about every other scan job does this.

Never had a problem printing or copying.

The company who sold them the machine did have the latest G00-R9 firmware installed. I flashed the firmware, no change. But the changelog PDF for that firmware says the function version is updated to 4.1. This machine function version is 3.4.

Ultimately, my question is: does the firmware update not actually update the function version as well?

This is uncharted territory for us, our fleet is made up of mostly 4 series.

Any input is greatly appreciated!

I'd suspect a HDD issue when failing can give this kind of symptom, try unplugging & booting up or try a replacement as a test any size will do.

Boltaction
05-11-2018, 03:25 PM
I'd suspect a HDD issue when failing can give this kind of symptom, try unplugging & booting up or try a replacement as a test any size will do.

I suspected that as well, however the machine boots up just fine. An intermitten HDD issue is possible and will be one of the things I try.

techlogic
07-23-2020, 05:35 PM
Verified Solution!
I recently was having issues loading firmware.. stuck at 2 fins on screen.. had already done many firmware updates in prior months to same machines. Then had 2 stubborn machines... turns out I had to LEAVE THE FRONT DOOR OPEN while loading the firmware. Loaded fine on both machines.. after many different USB sticks. low level formatting the usb's.. trying different unzip utilities... Remember leave the door open!

emujo2
07-23-2020, 06:16 PM
Hoping to clarify...Firmware fixes problems and bugs, but also adds functionality. The functionality is added when you upgrade the funciton version..So you have 3 things to worry about when adding new firmware

1. Trying to fix a problem where screen freezes after selecting another feature-F/W update
2. Trying to utlize SMB 3.0 - Firmware update and function version up as well
3. F/W and function version upgrade caused print drivers to fail- Print driver version must match function version. E

copyman
07-23-2020, 06:59 PM
Not sure if anyone mentioned it or even if your problem but try leaving front door open while downloading FW. Not sure if there is a bulletin about this and / or a rep from Kon/Min told me. I had a C368 that would not recognize any flash drive I tried. Several that I had used many times on other models with no problems. Left front door open and Bingo! It worked!

Something to keep in mind if any trouble loading F/W where it doesn't recognize the flash drive and boots right up to regular screen.

ADDED this after I posted. Ha-ha I see someone did post about the front door. Well I can confirm it works!

emujo2
07-23-2020, 07:58 PM
Leaving the front door open was assoscited with Sub CPU and SATA drive updates. I'm happy that it works for you, but the door should have nothing to do with reading the USB drive. E

Synthohol
07-23-2020, 10:21 PM
Leaving the front door open was assoscited with Sub CPU and SATA drive updates. I'm happy that it works for you, but the door should have nothing to do with reading the USB drive. E
FWIW, when i worked with 2 KMBS DSMs they insist on leaving the door open when running any firmware, partial or complete.
gotta be an undocumented reason i suppose.

Bix
07-23-2020, 10:28 PM
I perhaps have a theory:
Opening the front door before turning on the switch blocks any component from starting, so the firmware may be successful. If the door remains closed, some component could compromise the correct firmware execution.

copier tech
07-24-2020, 10:29 AM
Not sure if anyone mentioned it or even if your problem but try leaving front door open while downloading FW. Not sure if there is a bulletin about this and / or a rep from Kon/Min told me. I had a C368 that would not recognize any flash drive I tried. Several that I had used many times on other models with no problems. Left front door open and Bingo! It worked!

Something to keep in mind if any trouble loading F/W where it doesn't recognize the flash drive and boots right up to regular screen.

ADDED this after I posted. Ha-ha I see someone did post about the front door. Well I can confirm it works!

Most likely just a coincidence.

rtrj
10-08-2021, 02:22 PM
We had the same issue here and tried all of the above solutions plus going to earlier firmware and working our way up, N/G. We switched to a totally different flash drive and we had success!

Custom Search