PDA

View Full Version : C654 Fuser build-up

Custom Search

copyman
06-06-2016, 11:48 PM
I replaced the fuser about 60k pages ago and customer called for marks on paper. Turns out there was a build up on the fuser roller. I had to spray wd-40 on a light scotch brite pad and rub very light to get it off. I tried alcohol, fuser oil,etc nothing worked except the scotch brite pad. Took an hour to clean because I could only get to about 1/2 inch at a time. Came out nice. Put a coat of fuser oil on and and worked great. 2 weeks later they called back with same problem.

As you know these fusers are suppose to last 1.2 mil pages. Weird thing is the fuser I replaced only had 800k on it and replaced due to same build up.

The customer only runs 20lb bond WB Mason paper. No heavy stock, label, etc.

They have other printers at their desk they run labels, checks, etc.

1) anyone ever see this?

2) any problems with WB mason paper?

Thanks in advance

EarthKmTech
06-06-2016, 11:53 PM
Is this a white build up on the pressure roller ?

I am seeing this but so far not causing an issue. Cant answer the question specifically about the paper.

If its a build up on the fusing belt, I have not seen this yet.

The cleaning brush and black roller it cleans are now available as spare parts along with their bushings and bearings if this is causing troubles too.

blackcat4866
06-07-2016, 12:05 AM
No glossy media or NCR? =^..^=

JrTech
06-07-2016, 12:17 AM
I replaced the fuser about 60k pages ago and customer called for marks on paper. Turns out there was a build up on the fuser roller. I had to spray wd-40 on a light scotch brite pad and rub very light to get it off. I tried alcohol, fuser oil,etc nothing worked except the scotch brite pad. Took an hour to clean because I could only get to about 1/2 inch at a time. Came out nice. Put a coat of fuser oil on and and worked great. 2 weeks later they called back with same problem.

As you know these fusers are suppose to last 1.2 mil pages. Weird thing is the fuser I replaced only had 800k on it and replaced due to same build up.

The customer only runs 20lb bond WB Mason paper. No heavy stock, label, etc.

They have other printers at their desk they run labels, checks, etc.

1) anyone ever see this?

2) any problems with WB mason paper?

Thanks in advance

What is the meter and when was the last PM Kit installed? Sounds like it maybe a developer failing. Is the toner buildup on one side towards the edges or all over? Does the machine make any abnormal noises when it copy/prints? Have you checked the waste toner bottle for overflowing? Belt cleaner? First thing to check is for generic toner, any color? If not you may have an rebuilt after-after market fuser. Also check to see the drums for build up, if you pull out the drum and developer drops all over the place without turning it upside down you have a shot drum. We have quite a few of these in the field and we use KM toner, drum/developer and for the most part KM parts, as well as keep up on the PM kits. Little more expensive to use OEM everything but techs time are worth more than saving a few bucks on a generic part. I have 2 in specific that have over 1.5 - 2 mil on the meters and other than PM Kits and occasional tray rollers, no problems have arisen.....fingers crossed. Other companies in the area constantly complain about these machines and parts not lasting but is due to generic toner and parts. WB Mason paper is ok if not recycled versions as they can cause a whole other host of issues. When you open the covers and dont see a pile of toner build up, your in a good position.

Hope that helps

Synthohol
06-07-2016, 12:33 PM
i see this more frequently than id like. i think its all crappy paper. i dont see it with hammermill, just mason or quill.
any paper with a high dust content or 30% recycled seems to leave this dust residue on the roller and build-up occurs.
just glad there is a 3 year warranty bumper to bumper.

copyman
06-07-2016, 01:17 PM
Thanks for the replies,

EarthKmTech: Yes it is white buildup on roller not belt

blackcat4866: No special paper, I tend to believe them because of several HP printers they use for labels, checks, etc

JrTech: Meter around 1 million. No PM kits installed. Just IU's Trans belt, rollers, ADF mylars. Only genuine K/M toner.
Machine ran for 2 years, 800k with 3 service calls for rollers & ADF mylars!

Synthohol: I might have them switch paper. 3 yr warranty for fuser or machine?

Synthohol
06-07-2016, 04:56 PM
Km gives a 3 year bumper to bumper warranty even feed tires!
Fuser has a 1.2m life regardlesa and can be returned for warranty with a copy of the list output.
Of course you need to be an authorized dealer to qualify.
If not maybe you can work with a dealer that is?

copyman
06-07-2016, 06:58 PM
Thanks for the info I have a dealer I work with

copier tech
06-07-2016, 08:38 PM
What toner are they using, genuine KM?

copyman
06-07-2016, 11:10 PM
copier tech: yes only OEM toners.

jrtech: just curious, what PM kits are you referring to? was trying to figure out what a pm kit would have to do with fuser build up? Actually I didn't even know they had PM kits for this model?

b.amur360
06-08-2016, 09:57 AM
If its white soilage then it must be as a result of paper dust, I would ensure the paper dust remover on reg section is cleaned regularly, and then regarding the fuser, replace the cleaner roller and bushings as a preventative measure thus ensuring you get life out of the fuser ;-) That works for me :-)

copyman
06-08-2016, 11:40 AM
Can someone please post the part #'s for fuser cleaning rollers, bushings / bearings that were mentioned in this thread.
I've looked in the Ver 2 parts manual and show the bushings / bearings as only thing available for fuser.

Thanks again for the help

Custom Search