PDA

View Full Version : Starting in on MAC Units..Help PLz!

Custom Search

Mitch Barron
06-15-2016, 07:11 AM
Greetings all!

Hope you are well and busy, but not too busy to be a helpful soul :).

I do not have many customers with MAC computers and the few that I have know the systems inside out and rarely need my assistance. I have a customer that just switched over to a brand spankin' new MAC with OSX El Capitan (cool name) loaded on. He requested my help today with a color problem that he has been having. He is printing a very high resolution picture (attached) and requested to help him reduce the pink (magenta) hue in the wood coloring. In my experience with Windows it has been very easy to deal with color settings, but with his machine it has proven very daunting. Again I apologize if this is very noob, but could someone please give me a few tips on how to make slight chances to the colors in the driver settings. I am use to the nice simple sliders and the numeric values to set more or less. On his machine it is absolutely confusing to me. He is printing from Adobe Illustrator and I have to say it is the most confusing software I have ever seen when I comes to to setting color options. I do realize I have zero experience on this software and know that these things are learned over time, but for a beginner to do a simple color hue correction or to change the contrast is quite a daunting task to say the least. If someone is out there, who knows a thing or two about MAC, is reading this could give a young pup a few pointers to get me going in the right direction I would be forever grateful. I hope this description is enough for some feedback, and again, I apologize if for being such a rookie with this stuff. Have to learn somehow I suppose.

Thanks a bunch!

Mitch

habik
06-15-2016, 08:14 AM
What machine is he printing to?

What color space has he got setup on Adobe Illustrator?
I suggest to read and have a play:

How do I find out what color mode an image is in Illustrator? - Graphic Design Stack Exchange (http://graphicdesign.stackexchange.com/questions/46048/how-do-i-find-out-what-color-mode-an-image-is-in-illustrator)

To get the best, I suggest to get the monitor calibrated and use the color profile for the printer, that way what you see is what you should get.

Just a starting tip, should you like to start with the calibration process in the OS it self, without any calibration hardware tool. Launchpad>Other>ColorSync utility

Accessing “Expert Mode” Screen Color Calibrator in OS X El Capitan | OSXDaily (http://osxdaily.com/2015/10/14/access-expert-mode-screen-color-calibrator-mac-os-x/) ....this may just work.

Mitch Barron
06-15-2016, 12:41 PM
Well that's embarrassing. Sorry. It's a Bizhub C284e model. Ill have to get back to you upon the other info as I am coming together with this customer this again this afternoon. Thanks for the quick reply and for the info. Much appreciated.

subaro
06-15-2016, 12:58 PM
Näfels

Decided to take a look at the whereabouts of NAFELS. This place is just drop dead georgeous, picture perfect. Are you accomodating any visitors ?, sure don't mind retiring there.:cool:

Nafels is the poster location.

B0265
06-15-2016, 01:58 PM
The quality settings are basically the same in the Mac driver as in the PS driver for Windows even if the interface is different.
We have had the same complaints but have not really found a solution. It looks to me that the xx4/4e dont reproduce yellow as good as older models red and Brown becomes "pinkish".

qbert69
06-15-2016, 02:47 PM
If they're *SERIOUS* about design and correct color space, they need to get a Color Munki Design:

ColorMunki - ColorMunki Design (http://www.colormunki.com/welcome/design)

We had a local printer that uses Ricoh/Savin machines. Just recently they got a newer MFP (and they also have a previous gen mfp) and the color between the two MFP's does not match. I suggested they get a Color Munki Design for consistency of a calibrated colorspace. I haven't heard anything back from them after they got it...no complaints yet though!

Just remind the customer that this is an investment for REPEATABLILITY AND CONSISTENCY!....especially if they have repeat/regular customers!

....and yes, Adobe has some *weird* issues!....a PDF printed from Adobe Acrobat will have a different color cast from the SAME PDF printed from Apple's Preview app!....been down this road before!

:cool:

Custom Search